There's nothing like old fashioned southern Sunday dinners. They're the stuff lazy afternoons and great memories are made of.
Here are over 63 ideas including recipes for side dishes and desserts!
- Why we love southern Sunday dinners
- Slow cooker chicken and dumplings
- Crockpot chicken & dressing
- Crock pot pork chops
- Chicken pot pie skillet
- Million dollar chicken casserole
- French onion chicken bake
- Deviled chicken
- No peek chicken
- Chicken spaghetti
- Crockpot smothered chicken
- Angel chicken
- Chicken fried steak
- Bottom round roast
- Hamburger steaks
- Crockpot beef & noodles
- Beef tips & gravy
- Homemade meatloaf
- Pot roast & cheese grits
- Broccoli cheddar chicken
- Chicken alfredo lasagna
- More Southern Sunday Supper Recipes
- Southern side dishes
- Sweet southern dessert ideas
- 📞 The last word
Why we love southern Sunday dinners
- It's a chance for the entire family to get together, reconnect and have some quality time.
- Southerners love tradition and Sunday dinners are a tradition!
- Plan it right and you have delicious leftovers for busy Monday nights!
Not many families have time to gather around the table for a meal every night anymore but just one meal a week?
Now, that's do-able with these easy dinner ideas.
I've collected some of my very favorite recipes for Sunday dinner, including main dishes, sides, and dessert (which is always the star of the show as far as I'm concerned).
I'm sure you'll find a few recipes you love amon!
Slow cooker chicken and dumplings
Slow cooker chicken and dumplings makes it easy to get Sunday dinner on the table any night of the week.
Crockpot chicken & dressing
Crockpot chicken and dressing has all the flavor of Thanksgiving but it's easy enough to have for your weeknight family dinner! It's a complete meal that takes minimal effort.
Crock pot pork chops
These honey garlic pork chops simmer to fork tender perfection in the slow cooker.
Chicken pot pie skillet
Chicken pot pie skillet is a hearty casserole that's super easy to make.
Million dollar chicken casserole
Million dollar chicken has a crispy, buttery stuffing bakes over tender chicken in a creamy sauce - so much flavor!
French onion chicken bake
French onion chicken bake is a vintage recipe using bone-in chicken breast. The chicken is tender and juicy with a crispy oniony crust. It's a delicious dish for fall, especially.
Deviled chicken on a Sunday? Sometimes it's good to be bad! This easy chicken dinner is just a little spicy.
No peek chicken
No peek chicken is definitely a hands OFF recipe when you need an easy meal. Buttery tender chicken bakes over a bed of creamy rice.
Chicken spaghetti with Rotel is a family favorite. Creamy and cheesy with a little pop of spicy goodness mixed with tender pasta. It's a great spot to use leftover chicken.
Crockpot smothered chicken
Crockpot smothered chicken is delicious over rice, mashed potatoes, or noodles. It literally melts in your mouth with a symphony of rich flavors.
Angel chicken cooks in a heavenly Italian sauce made with cream cheese in the slow cooker then is spooned over angel hair pasta.
Chicken fried steak
Chicken fried steak practically has a cult following in Texas! It's classic southern cooking. Breaded cube steak is fried and served with cream gravy. Omigosh it's good!
Bottom round roast
This delicious bottom round roast is classic Sunday dinner! Slice it thin - it's juicy and tender with just the right amount of seasoning.
Crockpot beef & noodles
Beef and noodles is so easy to make in the crockpot!
Beef tips & gravy
Fall apart tender beef tips and gravy is one of those dishes that just yells "comfort food".
This homemade meatloaf is never dry! The tangy glaze on top cooks down in the oven until it's sticky sweet.
Pot roast & cheese grits
Pot roast is served over jalapeno cheese grits for a hearty, stick to your ribs meal that's impossible to resist.
Broccoli cheddar chicken
Creamy, cheesy chicken and broccoli casserole is covered with buttery, crispy crumbs. Use a medium or mild cheddar cheese for best results.
Chicken alfredo lasagna
You'll love this easy chicken alfredo lasagna! You can assemble it up to a day ahead of time to keep dinnertime easy.
More Southern Sunday Supper Recipes
- French Onion Soup Salisbury Steak is done right on top of the stove.
- Pan seared chicken thighs stay tender and juicy.
- Instant pot pork tenderloin is done in 30 minutes but it looks like you cooked all day.
- Easy Tri-Tip on the Grill is perfect for those hot summer afternoons.
- Having the grandkids, nieces, nephews, and who knows who else over? You'll want to make these kid friendly Philly cheesesteak sloppy joes!
- Grilled Honey Glazed Chicken is tender and juicy with a sweet honey coating.
- Citrus Poached Salmon looks fancy but it's so quick and easy!
- If you have a hunter in the family this smoked venison backstrap is perfect for those big family dinners.
- Chicken and Waffles is perfect for anytime but I especially love it for Sunday brunch!
- Shrimp and Grits is a southern classic!
- Did you know you could do a turkey breast in the air fryer?
- How about this apricot bourbon glazed ham?
- Get kinda fancy in an easy sort of way with these lasagna roll ups.
- We love stuffed shells! Best of all you can assemble them ahead of time!
- Imagine how the kitchen is going to smell when this chicken cacciatore is baking/
- Make lasagna easy in the slow cooker.
Southern side dishes
You can't have a proper southern Sunday dinner without side dishes, right?
- Potato salad is welcome with almost any main dish!
- We love whipped sweet potatoes - especially when they have a pinch of chipotle in them!
- Macaroni and cheese is sometimes a side dish and sometimes a main dish - but it's always a great addition to dinner.
- In the summer we love a good layered salad like this cornbread salad.
- Pineapple casserole is a uniquely southern dish that's really not that well known outside of the south. Too bad for y'all.
- Smothered green beans with bacon are easy to make and so good.
- Buttermilk biscuits have a special place on the southern table for sure!
- Creamed corn cornbread stays moist and delicious.
- Yellow squash casserole is super popular in the summer. It's creamy and cheesy - and absolutely the best way to serve summer squash!
- Jiffy corn casserole is creamy, cheesy goodness.
- Collard greens are a southern classic - they're so good when done right... and this is right.
- A classic cucumber salad is always a good idea
- Sweet onion casserole is cheesy and so good with roasted chicken!
- Dirty rice is deliciously hearty and full of rich flavor.
- Crunchy, salty, and snack-worthy fried okra is perfect with so many main dishes!
- Pan roasted vegetables are delicious and so easy!
- Lots of tomatoes? This fire roasted tomato dish is quick and easy.
Sweet southern dessert ideas
You can't talk about foods that are southern classics without talking about dessert.
Most southerners have a sweet tooth. Sitting at the table after a delicious meal, sipping hot coffee (or cold sweet tea) and eating some pie or cake while discussing the neighbors is a tradition
- It's hard to beat fudgy, chocolate chess pie.
- Blackberry cobbler is a sweet summertime classic.
- Or how about homemade peach ice cream?
- Real banana pudding is always a welcome site on the dessert table...
- ...but you can kick it up a notch with this amazing Nutter Butter banana pudding - and you'll have won the potluck.
- Pig pickin' cake was so named because it was served at bbqs and "pig pickin's". It's full of citrus flavor and topped with a rich frosting.
- If you just need something stupid easy you'll love this peach cobbler that's done in the slow cooker.
- Homemade vanilla ice cream is the perfect hot weather treat - or it goes great with a slice of warm pie in the winter.
- It doesn't get more southern than Paula Deen's Key Lime Pie.
- A buttermilk pound cake is a classic all year!
- If you've a mind to just show off then give this triple layer buttermilk cake a whirl. SO good.
- No one can resist this double fudge Coca Cola cake.
- No bake lemon ice box pie is full of old fashioned tangy lemon flavor and it's SO easy.
- Sweet potato pie is creamy and deliciously southern.
- For the kid in all of us... Cocoa Puff Cereal bars are no bake chocolaty goodness.
📞 The last word
There's something so special about lazy Sunday afternoon sitting around the table and chatting, then heading out to the porch rocker to socialize with the neighbors on a warm Sunday evening.
It's that whole feeling of comfort and belonging that's so hard to come by these days.
Maybe Sunday dinner isn't the whole answer... but it's sure not going to hurt!
Love this? You'll find weekly meal plans right here!