KFC Coleslaw is creamy, slightly sweet, a little tangy, and completely creamy! My version is Colonel approved - not necessarily THE Colonel...but A Colonel none-the-less. Make this memory invoking summer side dish recipe soon!
Recipe Ingredients: cabbage, carrots, (or a couple of bags of coleslaw mix) onions, sugar, salt, pepper, buttermilk, mayonnaise, cider vinegar, lemon juice
Table of Contents
KFC Coleslaw Is What Memories Are Made Of
Seriously. I love Chick-fil-a, I really do, but when it comes to coleslaw recipes KFC coleslaw wins hands down. It's creamy. It's tangy. It's sweet. It's even crispy...
And what I always wanted to know is how in the world do they DO that? Well, if you wondered, too, wonder no more because (thanks to a cookbook that was published in the 1930s) I know how to keep the veggies crisp!
What do you bet that the Colonel HAD the same cookbook as my vintage collectable? I mean, it's possible.
The USDA has their own opinion about keeping it crisp and suggests chopping the cabbage a day ahead of time, then putting the dressing on just before serving.
What Do You Eat with Coleslaw?
Oh my goodness, come and sit next to me and let's talk!
Coleslaw is the most versatile summer side dish ever known to man. It goes with all kinds of grilled meats so you'll want it at all of your cookouts! Here are some more things I like to eat with coleslaw:
- Fried chicken of course!
- Fried catfish (or any fish - but I don't usually eat anything other than catfish)
- BBQ Brisket
- Pulled pork or chicken
- BBQ Chicken
- Wings of all kinds
- Pile it on top of hamburgers, sloppy joes, and bbq sandwiches
- Top chicken tacos or fish tacos
- Chicken fried steak
- Chicken or Shrimp Po'Boys
KFC Coleslaw FAQs
3 to 5 days tightly covered in your refrigerator. It's actually better the second day!
You should make it at least 4 hours ahead of time. I wouldn't make it more than 24 hours ahead of time because the texture suffers.
One medium head of cabbage weighs about 2 pounds and when shredded or chopped is about 8 cups. So you'll need at least a 2 pound bag (or 2 one-pound bags) of coleslaw mix.
Sure! You can make it up to about 3 days ahead of time and keep it in your refrigerator.
I am so glad you asked. Honestly, KFC Coleslaw does NOT have dairy in it but my recipe does. I don't know why it tastes the same but it does.
I put the sugar and salt on the cabbage because it draws out the water and makes it crisper. Since you rinse all of that off it doesn't leave a flavor or calories.
More Great Summer Recipes
Man (or woman) does not live by creamy KFC coleslaw alone! Here are more of my favorite summer recipes.
- Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad with Hellman's was on the table almost every day in the summer when I was growing up!
- BBQ Macaroni Salad is kind of updated. It's still creamy but it's also a little tangy and spicy.
- Cauliflower Salad is crunchy and deliciously different.
- Fried Green Tomatoes are one of my favorites! I love them on burgers.
- Black Eyed Pea Salad is sometimes called Cowboy Caviar.
- Dutch Green Beans are made with vinegar, bacon, and a little sugar. My mom used to bring a big colander of fresh beans in from the garden and we'd have them on our plates an hour later.
- Southwestern Style Potato Salad is just like your old favorite but with a little smoky chipotle stirred in
- Creamy Cucumber Salad was always on our table in the summer. I love this stuff.
- Grilled pear salad is quick and easy plus it is SO delicious!
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? Check out my Restless Chipotle & Co. Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
There's not a lot stuff necessary for making this KFC Coleslaw Recipe Copycat - you can certainly make it super easy on yourself and buy bagged coleslaw mix. HOWEVER a great food processor like this Cuisinart. The only complaint I have with it is that it's not red! Once you've got your coleslaw made store it in one of these cute Pyrex glass storage bowls with tops that fit!
Copycat KFC Coleslaw Recipe
I love this creamy, classic coleslaw recipe! Make it once and you'll be toting it to potlucks and church picnics the rest of the summer.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars!
Copycat KFC ColeSlawPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cultured buttermilk, do not use milk + vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped - optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- Combine cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large colander.
- Sprinkle with sugar and salt.
- Stir gently to combine and make sure all the cabbage is covered in the sugar/salt mixture.
- Place the colander in the sink and leave for 10 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water, stirring the cabbage mixture around with your hands to get all sides.
- Drain well and dump the vegetables on a clean tea towel.
- Gently press as much liquid out as possible.
- Set aside.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the cabbage mixture and stir well to be sure all the cabbage is coated with dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Serve ice cold.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.
Share Your Own Images