Just updated for 2023!
If you've been searching the Internet for the best Thanksgiving pie recipes I've got what you're looking for.
From classic pecan, pumpkin, and sweet potato pies to creamy peanut butter and chocolate - there's a Thanksgiving treat here for everyone's tastes!
Table of Contents
🗝️ Key takeaways
- So many different pies to choose from.
- Perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or just because.
- Most pies can be made 2 days ahead of time and refrigerated. Fruit pies can almost always be made and frozen for up to 3 months.
You never know when you'll find the very best pecan pie in the universe, right? (hint: it's right here).
I have no clue how I am going to decide which to make...I really think Thanksgiving should be a three-day event.
Day one should be the turkey and maybe appetizers. Then day two could be the side dishes, followed by day three...desserts. Maybe there should be day four- Alka Seltzer Day.
Classic Thanksgiving pies
These are the classics. The royalty of Thanksgiving pies and the ones you pretty much can guarantee are going to be one almost everyone's table on Thanksgiving Day.
- The first one is a must in our family. It is so classic that I can't imagine not having it. Yep, I am talking about the original Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe. This traditional pumpkin pie recipe is still the best way to end that big Thanksgiving dinner, as far as I'm concerned.
- Hubbard squash pie is a favorite this time of year. It's lighter and more delicate than pumpkin. You can actually use acorn squash, hubbard squash, butternut squash, or just about any other winter squash for the filling.
- Pumpkin cheesecake isn't exactly a classic pumpkin pie but boy is it good! Gingersnap crust, creamy pumpkin cheesecake, and a bourbon caramel sauce that's out of this world.
- This apple butter pumpkin pie is just brimming with fall flavor! The streusel topping is amazing.
- This sweet potato pie recipe is a Southern classic everyone should try at least once.
- Impossible pecan pie makes its own crust! It's impossibly good, too.
There are tons of delicious fruit pies to consider. Sweet fruit in a buttery crust is always a winning combination!
- Candy apple pie recipe is bound to amaze people with your baking skills. It is buttery and incredible served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- This maple apple pie has a walnut crumble topping.
- Classic Dutch apple pie with its tangy apple filling is always hard to turn down.
- Bourbon apple pandowdy is a mashup between a pie and a cobbler. It's so easy to make and just delicious. Plus it's perfect if you can't ever get the pie dough to hold together.
- Apple cranberry pie has all the delicious flavors of the holiday season in a buttery tender crust.
- These apple-fried pies might not be traditional but they sure are good.
- German apple pie is unique in that the apple filling is creamy.
Rich and silky filling in a flaky pie crust! Custard pies are full of old-fashioned goodness. Just thinking about a lemon meringue pie will set your mouth to watering!
- Lemon chess pie is tangy and sweet all at the same time. So good!
- My husband and eldest daughter fight over this pecan pie! One small hint - take a few minutes to lightly toast the pecans and let them cook before adding them to the recipe.
- Old fashioned lemon meringue pie is good for any ocassion.
- This coconut pie is very unique! It's like a pecan pie with lots of goo but it uses coconut instead of pecans. I found the recipe in a very old Southern cookbook.
- Chocolate chess pie is an iconic Southern dessert recipe that's ridiculously easy. It's like eating gooey brownie batter in a butter crust.
- Cranberry orange custard pie is full of tart tangy flavor.
- Maple bourbon walnut pie is perfect for those of you who would like to stray from pecans, you crazy kids.
- Maple sugar pie is a vintage recipe that's full of maple flavor.
No bake pies
No-bake pies are easy! So simple and quicker to make than traditional pies.
Use a purchased crumb crust to make them even easier and to save time.
- No-bake pumpkin pie has a cream cheese layer under the pumpkin layer. It's an easy recipe everyone just loves. So much easier than the classic pie.
- This easy no-bake lemon ice box pie is perfect - you can even make it ahead and freeze it! AND if you're looking for a key lime pie recipe just substitute the lemon juice with key lime juice and you've got it made.
- Coconut praline pie takes your coconut cream pie up a notch with a layer of buttery pecan praline under a thick, rich layer of coconut, all topped with sweet whipped cream.
- Millionaire pie is a pretty pink, no-bake pie with tons of tropical flavor. Not particularly traditional for Thanksgiving but maybe it should be.
- If you're looking for a decadent pie this rich chocolate cream pie is perfect!
- Chocolate peanut butter pie has layers of peanut butter mousse, caramel, and chocolate ganache in a pretzel crust. It's amazing!
- German chocolate pie is exactly like the cake but in pie form. It's definitely the most decadent pie I make.
- No-bake banana pudding pie is all the best things about banana cream pie plus all the best things about banana pudding.
- Texas flood pie is my own invention and it's a must for the chocolate and peanut butter lovers out there.
- Blueberry cream cheese pie isn't exactly traditional but it's so good. Use whatever fruit topping you prefer.
- There's is nothing better than a French silk pie that just melts in your mouth and oozes rich chocolatey goodness. Use a chocolate or a graham cracker crust to make it easy.
- More chocolate? Yep- you've gotta try this no-bake Hershey pie!
Pies that aren't pies
These desserts aren't traditional pies but they have a similar feel to them.
- Chocolate chip cookie delight is made of layers of Cool Whip, chocolate chip cookies, cream cheese, and chocolate pudding.
- Chocolate brownie trifle is made of layers of brownie, chocolate pudding, cheesecake filling, and toffee.
- If you need a great pie crust recipe try my all butter pie crust.
- Have a food processor? This is the easiest pie dough ever. Never fails!
- Crumb crusts are great because they're just so easy!
- You'll love this Oreo cookie crumb crust! So chocolatey.
💭 Things to know
- Custard recipes do not freeze. You could freeze any of the pure fruit ones either baked or unbaked. You could freeze crusts. But do not, I repeat do NOT freeze the cream or custard pies!
- Bake pies on the lowest rack in the oven unless the recipe states otherwise.
- For the best presentation make the pie at least one day ahead of time and let it chill overnight. If you want to serve it warm heat briefly after cutting.
Southern buttermilk pie is a classic that many people don't know about. Give it a try!
How to store pies
Fruit pies can be covered with plastic wrap or placed in a pie keeper and stored at room temperature for a day or two.
Need it to stay fresh longer? The U.S. Department of Agriculture says a properly covered and refrigerated fruit pie will be good for up to 7 days. I've never had one last that long - we eat it before then.
You can freeze fruit pie for up to 4 months. It freezes best whole but if you have just a few slices left you can put them on a baking sheet and flash freeze overnight. In the morning take the frozen slices and slip them into Ziploc freezer bags.
Sweet potato, pumpkin, pecan, chess - any kind of baked pie that contains eggs must be refrigerated.
Let come to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Custard pies generally do not freeze well.
No-bake pies must be refrigerated.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 days. They generally don't freeze well.
Restless Chipotle recommends
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pie plates vary in size and the volume they hold. Plus, if you have older pie plates they may not be a standard size. Keep this in mind as you choose pie recipes.
These 9-inch pie pans are a little higher-sided than most. They're so pretty!
Pie keepers are the BEST way to store pie! You can even freeze in them.
Having a family potluck for Thanksgiving? Heading out to Friendsgiving? You'll love this pie carrier that keeps your pie from sliding everywhere.
📞 The last word
As far as I'm concerned the best part about our Thanksgiving feast is the loaded Thanksgiving dessert table.
I like to make at least one pie that I've never made before then a couple that are old favorites. I bake like crazy all week then feast on leftovers for several days.
It's a tradition!
50 Best Pies is a list of even more pies to choose from. Check it out!
First published November 7, 2007. Last updated November 8, 2023, for more pie inspiration!