Just updated for 2022!
If you've been searching the Internet for the best Thanksgiving pie recipes I've got what you're looking for. From classic pecan, pumpkin, and sweet potato pies to creamy peanut butter and chocolate - there's a Thanksgiving treat here for everyone's tastes!
You never know when you'll find the very best pecan pie in the universe, right? (hint: it's right here).
I have no clue how I am going to decide which to make...I really think Thanksgiving should be a three day event.
Day one should be the turkey and maybe appetizers. Then day two could be the side dishes, followed by day three...desserts. Maybe there should be day four- Alka Seltzer day.
Classic Thanksgiving Pies
- The first one is a must in our family. It is so classic that I can't imagine not having it. Yep, I am talking about the original Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe. This traditional pumpkin pie recipe is still the best way to end that big Thanksgiving dinner, as far as I'm concerned.
- Hubbard squash pie is a favorite this time of year. It's lighter and more delicate than pumpkin. You can actually use acorn squash, hubbard squash, butternut, or just about any other winter squash for the filling.
- Pumpkin cheesecake isn't exactly a pie but boy is it good! Gingersnap crust, creamy pumpkin cheesecake, and a bourbon caramel sauce that's out of this world.
- This apple butter pumpkin pie is just brimming with fall flavor! The streusel topping is amazing.
- Sweet potato pie is a southern classic everyone should try at least once.
- Candy Apple Pie is bound to amaze people with your baking skills. It is buttery and incredible served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- This maple apple pie has a walnut crumble topping.
- Classic Dutch apple pie with its tangy apple filling is always hard to turn down.
- Bourbon apple pandowdy is a mashup between a pie and a cobbler. It's so easy to make and just delicious. Plus it's perfect if you can't ever get the pie dough to hold together.
- Apple cranberry pie has all the delicious flavors of the holiday season in buttery tender crust.
- These apple fried pies might not be traditional but they sure are good.
- German apple pie is unique in that the apple filling is creamy.
- Lemon chess pie is tangy and sweet all at the same time. So good!
- My husband and eldest daughter fight over this pecan pie! One small hint - take a few minutes to lightly toast the pecans and let them cook before adding the to the recipe.
- This coconut pie is very unique! It's like a pecan pie with lots of goo but it uses coconut instead of pecans. I found the recipe in a very old southern cookbook.
- Chocolate chess pie is an iconic southern dessert recipe that's ridiculously easy. It's like eating gooey brownie batter in a butter crust.
- Cranberry orange custard pie is full of tart tangy flavor.
- Maple bourbon walnut pie is perfect for those of you who would like to stray from pecans, you crazy kids.
- Maple sugar pie is a vintage recipe that's full of maple flavor.
No bake pies
- No bake pumpkin pie has a cream cheese layer under the pumpkin layer.
- This easy no bake lemon ice box pie is perfect - you can even make it ahead and freeze! AND if you're looking for a key lime pie recipe just substitute the lemon juice with key lime juice and you've got it made.
- Coconut praline pie takes your coconut cream pie up a notch with a layer of buttery pecan praline under a thick, rich layer of coconut, all topped with sweet whipped cream.
- Millionaire pie is a pretty pink, no bake pie with tons of tropical flavor. Not particularly traditional for Thanksgiving but maybe it should be.
- If you're looking for a decadent pie this rich chocolate cream pie is perfect!
- Chocolate peanut butter pie has layers of peanut butter mousse, caramel, and chocolate ganache in a pretzel crust. It's amazing!
- German chocolate pie is exactly like the cake but in pie form. It's definitely the most decadent pie I make.
- No bake banana pudding pie is all the best things about banana cream pie plus all the best things about banana pudding.
- If you need a great pie crust recipe try my all butter pie crust.
- Have a food processor? This is the easiest pie dough ever. Never fails!
- Crumb crusts are great because they're just so easy!
- You'll love this Oreo cookie crumb crust! So chocolately.
50 Best Pies is a list of even more pies to choose from.
💭 Things to know
- Custard recipes do not freeze. You could freeze any of the purely fruit ones either baked or unbaked. You could freeze crusts. But do not, I repeat do NOT freeze the cream or custard pies!
- Bake pies on the lowest rack in the oven unless the recipe states otherwise.
- For best presentation make the pie at least one day ahead of time and let it chill over night. If you want to serve it warm heat briefly after cutting.
First published November 7, 2007. Last updated October 3, 2022 for more pie inspiration!