What’s coconut praline pie? Creamy rich coconut custard is smoothed over a rich layer of pecan praline for a pie that is totally unique and absolutely delicious. Let me tell you a little story about this here coconut praline pie. It was raffled off for over $65.00. Yep. Seriously. Is it that good?
I have always loved coconut cream pie — really any cream pie for that matter. I don’t make them nearly enough and I am not even sure why. They are so easy to do!
I swear to you that this pie is so good…. well, you know how there is supposed to be a feast in Heaven? Well, I am pretty sure this is gonna be on the table.
*Someone said that this was too much for their 9 inch pie pan, so I suggest that you use a 10″ if you have one. It fits in my 9 inch pan just fine. Sorry if you have had a problem.
Coconut Praline Pie
- Baked 9 inch or 10 inch pie shell, (some people have had problems with the 9 inch.)
- 1/2 c dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 c chopped, , toasted pecans
Coconut Cream Layer
- 1 c sugar
- 3 tbs flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 14 oz cans evaporated milk
- Pinch salt
- 1 c coconut
- 2 tsp mexican vanilla, (if it is available to you or regular vanilla if not)
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 3 - 4 tablespoons of sugar or to taste
- Melt the brown sugar and butter together, stirring constantly until the sugar loses it's graininess.
- Quickly pour the mixture into the bottom of the prepared crust, spreading to cover.
- Sprinkle with 1 1/2 c chopped, toasted pecans.
- Set aside.
- Whisk the sugar, flour, egg yolks, salt, and milk.
- Add the coconut.
- Microwave for 9 minutes or so, stirring about every minute, until mixture coats a spoon. You can also use a double boiler but guard against scorching.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes and then add the vanilla and butter.
- Pour the mixture over cooled praline layer and chill with a layer of greased plastic wrap over the surface. This works best if you spoon the filling around the edges of the pie first, and then fill in the middle.
- Just before serving whip a pint of cream with sugar to your taste and place a thick layer over top of the pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Let's Keep in Touch!