What's coconut praline pie? Creamy rich coconut custard is smoothed over a rich layer of pecan praline for a pie that is totally unique and absolutely delicious. Let me tell you a little story about this here coconut praline pie. It was raffled off for over $65.00. Yep. Seriously. Is it that good?
I have always loved coconut cream pie -- really any cream pie for that matter. I don't make them nearly enough and I am not even sure why. They are so easy to do!
I swear to you that this pie is so good.... well, you know how there is supposed to be a feast in Heaven? Well, I am pretty sure this is gonna be on the table.
*Someone said that this was too much for their 9 inch pie pan, so I suggest that you use a 10" if you have one. It fits in my 9 inch pan just fine. Sorry if you have had a problem.
Coconut Praline PiePrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- Pie Crust, baked. (some people have had problems with the 9 inch.)
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
Coconut Cream Layer
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 3 - 4 tablespoons of sugar or to taste
- Melt the brown sugar and butter together, stirring constantly until the sugar loses it's graininess.
- Quickly pour the mixture into the bottom of the prepared crust, spreading to cover.
- Sprinkle with 1 ½ c chopped, toasted pecans.
- Set aside.
- Whisk the sugar, flour, egg yolks, salt, and milk.
- Add the coconut.
- Microwave for 9 minutes or so, stirring about every minute, until mixture coats a spoon. You can also use a double boiler but guard against scorching.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes and then add the vanilla and butter.
- Pour the mixture over cooled praline layer and chill with a layer of greased plastic wrap over the surface. This works best if you spoon the filling around the edges of the pie first, and then fill in the middle.
- Just before serving whip a pint of cream with sugar to your taste and place a thick layer over top of the pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.