Strawberries and cream? It's the perfect summer dessert.
It may look and sound fancy, but this cake is such an easy dessert recipe! Just keep reading and I'll show you how.
Table of Contents
❤️ Why you'll love it
- Airy angel food cake is perfect for any spring or summer occasion AND it's a great dessert for Valentine's Day.
- This show stopper is an easy no bake dessert!
- You can make it ahead of time.
You scoop out the middle of a light and fluffy angel food cake and fill the shell with a creamy mixture of ripe strawberries, cake, and whipped cream.
Then, the entire cake is covered with a rich, cream cheese frosting and a few pretty berries to garnish the top of the cake.
It's similar to a strawberry shortcake but oh-so-much-better! It just doesn't get easier than this strawberry dessert recipe!
While strawberries are in season check out this moist strawberry cake with whipped strawberry cream cheese frosting.
This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the green recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
Feel free to use a store-bought angel food cake, a boxed angel food cake mix, or your favorite from-scratch angel food cake recipe! The best thing about this cake is that it's easy and made with simple ingredients.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The full instructions are in the green recipe card below.
If you're looking for another almost-instant recipe give this sweet dessert charcuterie board a try!
- Cut off the top of an angel food cake (purchased is fine!) and remove the insides leaving a 1-inch thick border on the sides and bottom.
- Whip cream and powdered sugar on high speed in a medium bowl.
- Gently mix the whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and reserved cake together.
- Use the mixture to fill the inside of the cake. Replace the top and frost!
Cover strawberry angel food cake with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container and keep refrigerated. This cake doesn't freeze well.
Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days. The cake will get soggy as the whipped cream breaks down and the fresh berries lose some of their texture.
- Raspberries work well in place of strawberries.
- Try blueberries or bananas in place of the strawberries.
- Pineapple would work really well in this recipe, either with the berries or by itself.
- You can substitute 8 cups of Cool Whip for the whipped cream if you want.
- Some people like to slice the cake in 3 or 4 layers horizontally and spread the berry mixture between each layer.
- Don't need such a big dessert? Half the filling and frosting ingredients and use a loaf-type pound cake instead of the angel food cake. Hollow out the center and fill with the filling, then put the top back on and frost.
If you're looking for a delicious AND easy no bake dessert you'll love this strawberry shortcake crunch ice cream cake.
💭 Things to know
Expert Tip: Be careful to leave a 1-inch border when you create the channel in the cake. Don't cut through the bottom!
- Set the prettiest whole strawberries aside to garnish with.
- Keep this refrigerated!
- You can make this a day ahead of time.
- Use a serrated knife to cut through the cake and remove the insides.
- For best results use a gentle back-and-forth motion when cutting.
No. Frozen berries get too watery when they thaw and the filling will be runny.
Cutting the whole cake in pieces and layering it with the creamy filling in a trifle dish works great. Double the filling and use extra strawberries to slice and layer, too. You won't need the frosting.
📚 Related recipes
You may also like one of these easy cakes!
- This easy Pig Pickin' Cake starts with a cake mix.
- If you love Boston Cream Pie give this poke cake a try.
- You can decorate these copycat Little Debbie snack cakes for any holiday and they're so easy.
- You can also use angel food cake to make this pretty strawberry punch bowl cake. It's like a trifle made in a large bowl, with layers of berries, cake, and whipped cream.
🍽️ Serve with...
You don't need a special occasion as an excuse to make this cake but if you just happen to have a party coming up consider these other easy recipes...
- Coffee punch is a standard at southern wedding receptions, baby showers, and just about any other get-together. It's super rich and creamy because it's made with ice cream.
- Bacon and chipotle deviled eggs are scrumptious and they're even better if you use the instructions for smoking them!
- Delicate condensed milk cookies remind me of old fashioned tea cakes.
- Chicken salad with pecans is delicious spooned onto croissants for dainty tea sandwiches.
🥄 Restless Chipotle recommends
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You'll need the following items to make this recipe successfully.
📞 The last word
Well, there you have it.
This strawberry angel food cake dessert is a favorite of mine and I hope that it becomes a favorite of yours too! Serve it on a pretty cake plate and there's no one that can resist it!
Don't save it for a special occasion! This delicious recipe is so easy you can have strawberry shortcake angel food cake all summer long!
Plenty of luscious berries? Next time try this strawberry chantilly cake!
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need. Don't forget that you can click on "add to collection" to save it to your own, private recipe box!
If you love this recipe please give it a 5 star rating. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Strawberry Angel Food CakePrint Pin Recipe Save Recipe
- 1 angel food cake, homemade, purchased, or a mix. Reserve cubes after removing from cake.
- 3 cups strawberries, cleaned and quartered - fresh berries are best.
- 2 pints heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar, 1 pound
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Start with a finished angel food cake.
- Cut the top off of the cake. It's easiest if you use a long, serrated knife. Be sure to keep it level when you cut.
- Cut about ¾ to 1 inch down from the top and remove the insides.
- Set the top aside. Cut along the inside of the cake near the center hole. Use a shorter serrated knife and cut around the entire circle, leaving about a ¾ inch width of cake.
- Cut around the outside edge of the cake, again leaving a ¾ inch "wall" of cake.
- Remove the insides carefully, cutting it in cubes. Make sure you leave about ¾ inches of cake at the bottom. Reserve what you remove and set it aside.
- With an electric mixer whip the heavy cream and add the powdered sugar to taste.
- Cut the strawberries into quarters if you haven't already.
- Gently combine 2 cups of whipped cream and the strawberries.
- Fold until well mixed.
- Add the cake cubes that you removed to the strawberries and whipped cream.
- Fold in gently but thoroughly.
- Spoon the strawberry mixture into the inside of the hollowed out angel food cake.
- Fill to the top and mound the filling up slightly.
- Replace the top.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat all ingredients together until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
- If the frosting is too stiff, you can add a little bit of cream to thin it out.
- With an offset spatula, frost the angel food cake, covering it completely.
- Garnish with cut strawberries at the base if desired.
- Chill for 3 hours or overnight.
- When serving, use a long serrated knife to slice the cake.
- Buy some extra strawberries for garnish if desired.
- Keep this refrigerated!
- Raspberries work well in place of strawberries.
- 8 cups of Cool Whip can be substituted for the whipped cream.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
First published April 18, 2016. Last updated April 18, 2023 to improve readability and add extra tips.