Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
A gloriously dense and creamy pumpkin cheesecake with crunchy spicy gingersnaps is a match made in Heaven. This pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust goes a little further down the winding road to decadence with a ultra rich and buttery caramel sauce (bourbon optional) and a sprinkling of toasty pecans. If you follow my tips for perfect cheesecake you’ll never have a cracked top, either.
For this recipe you’ll need: cream cheese, pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling), brown sugar, sugar, sour cream, eggs, gingersnaps, butter, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, bourbon (optional), Jack Daniels Caramel Sauce (find the recipe here), pecans, a 9-inch high sided or 10-inch springform pan, a large roasting pan, aluminum foil
I know what you’re going to say.
It’s December. It’s time for peppermint, and cranberry, and all of those other holiday flavors. Pumpkin spice is SO last month! Surely we’ve moved past the moment for pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust to shine.
True. But I happen to love pumpkin and I’ll eat a cheesecake any time of the year… but more importantly I just did not have time to get this written and edited and posted. December it is.
Don’t worry — it’s worth it.
So, my high school son has become Mr. Popularity this year and has amassed a group of friends that fondly refer to each other as The Fam. They get together often between youth group at church, school, and hanging out at each other’s houses. They decided to have a Friendsgiving the Monday before Thanksgiving.
Thus pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust. And it is amazing, if I do say so myself.
I did not add bourbon to this one but I have done it before so I know it’s good. You can put it in or leave it out – it’s up to you. This pumpkin spice cheesecake (because yes, of course there are spices in it) can be made 2 or 3 days ahead of time, wrapped tightly and refrigerated. Just make sure it’s going in a non-smelly refrigerator because it will pick up flavors from the refrigerator. Nothing worse than onion and salmon pumpkin cheesecake, right?
A similar cheesecake you might enjoy is my pecan praline cheesecake.
TIPS FOR PERFECT PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE with GINGERSNAP CRUST
- Use store bought gingersnaps in this recipe. They are crunchier and make a crisper crust that doesn’t get soggy.
- Make sure that you blend up the cookies thoroughly and that there are no chunks of cookies left. Run your fingers through the crumbs and fish out any big pieces.
- Follow all the directions carefully.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature. This is IMPERATIVE.
- The water bath is important so don’t skip it.
- Make sure your aluminum foil is wrapped securely around the bottom of the springform and up the sides to prevent leaking.
- A little water will get in to the aluminum foil – be careful when you take the foil off because you could get scalded by some of it.
- Do NOT peek at the cheesecake while it is baking or resting because it makes it cranky. AND it will crack.
- Let the cake come to room temperature before chilling.
- Place paper towel over the top of the cake before wrapping with plastic wrap and chilling overnight. This will keep the top dry and help guard against cracking.
- Let the cheesecake stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
YOU MAY NEED…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
This leakproof springform pan is the exact one I use to make this pumpkin cheesecake recipe. I love the way it’s lipped on the bottom and (of course) it comes in RestlessChipotle red!
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust Recipe
This is perfect. Tall and dense, spicy and sweet – plus it’s so creamy it will make you cry tears of joy. Or, at the very least, like the plate. Whether you serve this gorgeous pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust at Thanksgiving or Christmas – or just because (like me) you love pumpkin it will be a huge hit. I promise!
If you like this recipe please give it a 5 star rating.
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust
- 2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, ,melted
- 32 ounces cream cheese, ,original not low fat or no fat - 4 8-ounce packages, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, , ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, , ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, , ground
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 eggs, ,room temperature
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, , optional
- 15 ounces solid pack pumpkin, ,not pumpkin pie filling mix
- 1/4 cup sour cream, ,room temperature - not reduced fat or low fat or fat free
- 1/3 cup Jack Daniels Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup pecans, ,toasted and chopped
- Cover the outside bottom and sides of a high sided, 9-inch springform pan with aluminum foil. Make sure it's tight.
- Pulse the gingersnaps in the bowl of a food processor until they are crumbs.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Press the crumb mixture over the bottom and half way up the sides of the springform pan.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Place the cream cheese, sugar, and spices in the bowl of a mixer.
- Beat with the paddle attachment until light and creamy on low speed for 8 minutes. DO NOT ever use a whisk or beat on medium or high speed.
- With the mixer still on low speed add the eggs, one at a time, beating 1 to 2 minutes after each.
- Still on low speed beat in the pumpkin.
- Fold in the bourbon, if using, and sour cream with a rubber spatula, folding until the sour cream is completely mixed in.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust and place in a large roasting pan.
- Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the cheesecake.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Turn the oven off and let the cheesecake sit for 1 hour. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR.
- Remove from the oven, take out of the water bath, and remove the foil.
- Let the cheesecake sit away from drafts until it cools to room temperature.
- Place a folded paper towel on the top of the cheesecake and cover the top of the pan with aluminum foil.
- Chill overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Just before serving remove the aluminum foil and paper towel from the top; run a knife around the edge of the springform pan to loosen the cake.
- Remove the springform pan.
- Top with Jack Daniels Caramel Syrup (recipe on RestlessChipotle.com
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Pass the caramel syrup so guests can add more if they want to.
If you liked this pumpkin spice cheesecake recipe you may also like…
From left to right: Red Velvet Cheesecake, Pecan Pie Cheesecake, Pineapple Upside Down Cheesecake
Other Cheesecakes You Might Like…
Caramel Apple Crisp Cheesecake Cakes Cottage
Salted Caramel Cheesecake Ashlee Marie
This recipe is part of Meal Plan Monday #93 Check it out.