This brownie cheesecake recipe is easy but the results are nothing less than amazing. Creamy, rich cheesecake filling has chunks of chewy brownie scattered through it. It's baked in a brownie crust and then covered with shiny, silky ganache and then topped with brownie crumbs.
My two favorite desserts are cheesecake and chocolate and they come together here in a blast of texture and flavor that will have everyone you serve it to swooning.
I ended up making this brownie cheesecake recipe because as I was making a birthday cake there was a disaster. It crumbled into tiny pieces as I was taking it out of the pans and to this day I have no idea why. No matter, it was one of those moments that look like failure but are actually a blessing - - I should recognize them by now since I've had so many of them in my life!
So I took one and a half of the 8-inch layers to make the cheesecake and then cut the other half into chunks. Some of the cake was set aside for topping. I poured part of the batter in the crust, covered with the cake chunks, and then added the rest of the batter.
You can easily "fudge" this and make it easier by using a brownie mix or store bought brownies if you like. 😉
Tips for Perfect Cheesecake
- Always mix on low speed using paddles so that you don't add air to the batter. It's important to never whip your ingredients.
- All of the ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Cover the bottom of the cheesecake pan with aluminum foil and then set it in a water bath to bake.
- Bake cheesecakes at a low temperature. 325 for about 45 minutes will keep them creamy.
- Turn oven off and leave the door closed for an hour -- no peeking!
- Allow the cake to come to room temperature and then refrigerate overnight if possible.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
Brownie Cheesecake Recipe
Here's the brownie cheesecake recipe. It's SO good - if you love it please consider giving it a 5 star rating below.
Brownie Cheesecake RecipePrint Save Go to Collections
Chocolate Cake for Base and Brownie Chunks
- 32 oz cream cheese, (full fat)
- 16 ozs sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, , chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, , at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Grease and flour 2 8 inch round pans
- Beat sugar and butter until creamy
- Add eggs one at a time
- Add vanilla
- Beat in cocoa
- Add flour and milk alternately, in three parts. Begin and end with flour.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until well blended.
- Add vanilla
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition
- Fold in the sour cream
- Make this just before serving.
- Heat the cream and the butter until bubbles form around the edges.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until melted and smooth.
Baking and Assembly
- Turn oven to 325F
- Press one layer or more of the cake in the bottom of a 9-12 inch springform. Make sure the bottom is well covered.
- Pour in half the cheesecake mixture.
- Add crumbled cake chunks, reserving about ½ cup crumbs for the top.
- Pour over the rest of the cheesecake.
- Cover the bottom of the springform with aluminum foil, bringing it up the sides.
- Place pan in larger pan of hot water (bain marie). Water should come halfway up the sides.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn oven off and leave door closed for 1 hour. Don’t PEEK!
- Remove from oven, take out of bain marie (water bath).
- Let come to room temperature and cover tightly.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- About 30 minutes before serving remove from the pan.
- Cover in the slightly warm ganache.
- Sprinkle reserved brownie crumbs on top.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.