This pineapple upside down cheesecake is decadently rich and luscious. Creamy pineapple cheesecake is topped with juicy pineapple rings, cherries, and pecans in a brown sugar glaze. The easy graham cracker crust doesn’t get in the way of all of those flavors and textures, either! Not quite what you’re looking for? Check out my 50 Best Cheesecakes!
For this recipe you’ll need: graham crackers, sugar, butter, cream cheese, pineapple rings in pineapple juice, eggs, vanilla, sour cream, brown sugar, spiced rum, maraschino cherries, pecans, a deep 9-inch springform pan or a 10-inch springform pan, aluminum foil, larger pan for water bath
Pineapple upside down cake is an iconic dessert that probably represents the 1950s and 1960s as much as Wonder Bread does. Personally, I’d rather have the cake. I wanted to try to do a spin on the original with cheesecake — y’all know that cheesecakes are something I love to make! I knew that turning the cake upside down wasn’t going to work but I wanted that same syrupy, gooey topping with big bursts of pineapple flavor.
I thought about it a lot and finally decided on a pineapple-vanilla flavored cheesecake with the pineapple and cherries and pecans just like the cake. After my dismal failure using lemon cake as a base for my lemon meringue pie cheesecake I chose to stick with a graham cracker crust for this. It works well because the graham mirrors that brown sugar in the topping.
Doncha just want to lick your computer screen right now?
The filling is that dense, rich, New York style cheesecake that I love. It has just a hint of pineapple flavor so it doesn’t become overpowering, you know? I wanted to be able to taste the brown sugar, the pecans, the burst of cherry… Just a minute, have to wipe my mouth.
Anyway, I have three springform pans and I was using the 9-inch pan for the s’mores cheesecake. I used a 10-inch pan for this, which made it a bit thinner, as you can see. I actually think I prefer it this way because it looks more like the splendiferous dessert it was named for.
YOU MAY NEED…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
This leakproof springform pan is the exact one I use. I love the way it’s lipped on the bottom and (of course) it comes in RestlessChipotle red!
Pineapple Upside Down Cheesecake Recipe
If you crave pineapple upside down cake then you will absolutely love this cheesecake version. It’s sweet, rich, and creamy with a ton of tropical flavor. If you like this recipe please give it 5 stars!
Pineapple Upside Down CheesecakePrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, , melted
- 32 ounces cream cheese, , rroom temp
- 2 cups sugar, , room temp
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice , ,reserved from the pineapple slices
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- 20- oz can pineapple slices in juice, , drained and 1/4 cup juice reserved
- 12 oz jar maraschino cherries, , you'll need 9 or 10 drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- Mix the crumbs with the sugar and butter.
- Press into the bottom and part way up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Cover the pan bottom and sides on the outside with aluminum foil to keep any water out.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Beat the cream cheese on low speed until smooth.
- Add the sugar and continue to beat at low speed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Remove bowl from mixer and fold in the vanilla, pineapple juice, and sour cream.
- Pour into springform and place it in another, larger pan.
- Add water until it comes halfway up the sides of the outside of the cheesecake pan. (this makes the bain marie)
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave the cake in the oven for 1 hour. DO NOT open the oven door.
- Remove from the bain marie and to a rack to cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove cake from refrigerator.
- Run a knife around the edges and carefully remove the sides of the springform pan.
- Set aside.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a pan, whisking until smooth and most of the graininess is gone.
- Add the bourbon and whisk smooth over low heat for about 2 minutes.
- The mixture should be thick and smooth, somewhat like caramel syrup.
- Remove from heat and let cool until it is just warm to the touch - about 10 minutes.
- Spoon half of the topping over the cake top.
- Carefully arrange the pineapple rings, pecans, and cherries over the topping.
- Spoon the remaining topping over the fruit and use a plumber's torch (or propane kitchen torch) to brulee the top.
If you liked this pineapple upside down cheesecake recipe you may also like…
From left to right: Basic New York Style Cheesecake, Irish Cream Cheesecake, Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust
OTHER CHEESECAKES YOU MIGHT LIKE…
Caramel Apple Crisp Cheesecake Cakes Cottage
Salted Caramel Cheesecake Ashlee MarieLet's Keep in Touch!