This week we celebrate both National Chocolate Truffle Day and Cinco de Mayo. I've pulled together lots of Tex-Mex flavors and created quick and easy meals for the busiest weekdays.
📅 Food Holidays
- April 30 is National Oatmeal Cookie Day - you'll love these old fashioned oatmeal cookies.
- May 2 is National Truffle Day - I've given you a traditional chocolate recipe below or try these lemon lavender truffles.
💭 Things to know
- You can bring new life back to that weary asparagus you forgot about in the fridge. Just trim the bottoms and stick the stems in a jar of water in the fridge. It will freshen right up. You can do the same with fresh herbs.
- Leftover smothered chicken? Serve it over leftover biscuits for breakfast.
- You'll use the leftover devils food cake for the brownie punchbowl cake. If you don't want to make the cake just buy a batch of brownies at the store to use.
- Prepare as much as possible on your day off. Chop all the onions for the week and put them in an airtight container. Cook up all the ground beef you'll need and separate it into the amount you need for each recipe.
🍹This week's cocktail
Prickly Pear Margarita
This prickly pear margarita is perfect for Cinco de Mayo! Sweet and tangy and a beautiful color.
Southern Green Beans
These classic southern green beans are tangy and delicious.
Spiced Devil's Food Cake
I found this spiced devil's food cake recipe in a Depression era cookbook. It's unique with it's combination of rich chocolate and spice. Save leftover cake to dice up for the brownie trifle.
When you brown the ground beef for this tamale pie go ahead and brown enough for the stuffed peppers and Philly cheesesteak pasta. It's the little timesaving habits that add up!
Creamy cole slaw is one of my favorite side dishes. This is my version of the KFC classic and let me tell you, it doesn't last long!
White Chocolate Key Lime Bundt
This white chocolate key lime bundt cake has been on Restless Chipotle forever. It's so moist and delicious - the perfect combination of lime and white chocolate flavors.
Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken
The crispy crumb coating makes this oven baked garlic Parmesan chicken extra yummy! Add a crispy salad for a delicious meal.
Pasta con Broccoli
Pasta con broccoli has a rich pink sauce that covers the pasta and broccoli. If you've got leftover chicken slice it and add it to the leftover pasta for a delicious lunch.
Happy Chocolate Truffle Day! Homemade chocolate truffles are easy to make for all kinds of occasions.
Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
Philly cheesesteak pasta has all the flavors of the popular sandwich in an easy, one pot pasta meal!
Marinated Green Bean Salad
This tangy green bean salad is perfect with this creamy dish!
Fluffernutter Whoopie Pies
Who remembers fluffernutter sandwiches? Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff! I've revisited that flavor with these giant Fluffernutter Whoopie Pies.
Old fashioned stuffed peppers are one of my favorite meals. I grew up with this dish on the table often! You can get all the flavor and save time but just chopping the peppers up and making this as a casserole. Make extra rice for tomorrow.
Creamy cucumber salad is best if it's made 24 hours ahead of time. I like to take the leftovers and cucumber sandwiches - YUM!
Brownie Punch Bowl Cake
Brownie punch bowl cake is layers of brownies and whipped cream. Use leftover devils food spice cake instead of brownies for this.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Creamy chicken enchiladas are a great way to begin the celebration. Serve with rice and a salad.
Tres Leches Cake
You might have the idea by now that lime and white chocolate is one of my favorite flavor combos -- and you'd be right! This tres leches cake is absolutely to die for.
Strawberry Watermelon Margarita
So refreshing ! This strawberry watermelon margarita recipe makes a pitcher full!
Texas 2 Step Chicken
Texas 2 Step Chicken is made with just four ingredients. It's kind of a mash up between salsa chicken and bbq chicken. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Southern fried cabbage is slowly simmers until it is tender and soaks up all the flavors from the bacon and onion.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
For chocolate lovers only! Super creamy chocolate chocolate chip ice cream is a sweet way to end this week's meal plan.
📚 Related recipes
Enjoy 30 quick weeknight dinner recipes!