Homemade chocolate chocolate chip ice cream is easy, creamy, and super-chocolatey... and you don't need Oompa Loompas to make it.
You don't even have to hand crank it anymore... although, I think there was a benefit to that because by the time your ice cream was frozen you had worked off the calories.
What most people don't know is that cocoa powder gives a richer, deeper chocolate flavor than melted chocolate. It really is the secret to intense flavor. Talk about your magic powders...Cocoa is it.
Hershey's Extra Dark is the cocoa of choice around here because it has more chocolate flavor as far as I am concerned.
Chocolate ice cream is my favorite. My dad always said that vanilla ice cream was like kissing your sister... and I guess I agree most of the time...
This particular homemade chocolate chocolate chip ice cream recipe is perfect for putting in ice cream cones or making into sundaes, or snuggling next to a piece of chocolate fudge cake. Like all ice cream it will have the best texture if you let it "season" overnight in the freezer. I know it will be difficult but really, you are an adult, you can do this.
I'd suggest using the mini chocolate chips because the regular sized ones get hard when frozen and they add a little too much texture for me. You can also use a chunk of good chocolate and just chop it up.
Either way... make this. You will like it, I promise. You might also like this Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream!
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice CreamPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks, (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups half and half
- 3 cups heavy cream, , slightly whipped just until thick
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz mini chocolate chips
- ½ tsp salt
- ice and salt for the ice cream maker
- Heat 1 cup heavy cream until bubbles form around the edge.
- Stir in chopped chocolate and cocoa. Stir until smooth.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat egg yolks until light.
- Add sugar gradually beating all the while.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Slowly add the chocolate mixture and continue to beat.
- Add in the half and half.
- Whip the remaining cream until it is thickened and soft peaks form.
- Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
- When ice cream has begun to freeze but is not totally frozen fold in the and turn the ice cream maker back on to finish churning the ice cream.
- When done, remove dasher and pack tightly. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Soften slightly before serving.