This week we're celebrating the beginning of spring as well as National Whiskey Day, National Black Forest Cake Day, and National Sourdough Day!!
As always, be sure to read through the tips to save time and money!
🫑 What's in Season?
A better question might be, "what isn't in season?"
Everything is ripening and coming into the Farmers' Markets now. It's fresh, in season, and at it's best. Make the most of these fresh flavors.
- Bell pepper
- Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- Green beans & Wax beans
- Zucchini and yellow squash
You should start to see these fresh fruits and vegetables showing up in stores and at the Farmer's Market in April. Cherries and rhubarb have a short season so make the most out of them while you can.
- Leaf lettuces
- Morel Mushrooms
💭 Tips for success
- If you're planning to make the (oh so easy!) sourdough bread on Wednesday you'll need to either buy starter or make homemade starter on Thursday.
- Make extra chicken on Thursday to use later in the week. One thing I like to do is to get a big bag from Costco, thaw it overnight in the fridge, then put all of the chicken in the slow cooker with a little chicken stock, seasoning, a rib of celery, a carrot, and half an onion. I have cooked chicken on hand for quick dinners and lunches!
- When you make spaghetti make extra. To the leftover add half a bottle of zesty Italian dressing, kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, some basil and oregeno, Parmesan, and some of that cooked chicken that's been diced. It will hold in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and it makes an amazing lunch or light dinner.
- Those bagged salads at the store are wonderful time savers AND you can get a variety of different types so you're not eating plane old salad all the time. Try avocado ranch with the pasta on Thursday and a southwest or Santa Fe style on Friday.
- Want to make boneless chicken wings? Use strips of chicken breast instead.
- Make extra fresh asparagus when you make the casserole on Sunday. Chop it up and set it aside to add to the beer cheese soup on Wednesday for extra nutrition. Broccoli is also good in this soup.
- Make extra bacon when you make the asparagus casserole to add to the pea salad on Tuesday.
- If you have leftover sourdough bread from Wednesday make an amazing breakfast Thursday by toasting it, spreading with avocado, and topping with bacon and a poached egg. YUM!
Salsa Verde Chicken Mac & Cheese
Salsa verde chicken mac and cheese is creamy and gooey with a spicy salsa verde mixed in. You'll love it! Serve with a salad and that's all you need. Make extra chicken for Saturday.
Make a double batch of this buttermilk cornbread. Freeze half for Monday.
Coconut Ice Cream
Believe it or not we used to have dairy goats so I made ice cream a lot with the excess milk. Don't worry - you can use regular milk in this yummy coconut ice cream recipe.
Whiskey Sour Bundt Cake
Today is national whiskey day - what better way to celebrate than with a whiskey sour bundt cake?
Creamy RoTel Chicken spaghetti is quick and easy when you make it with the extra chicken you cooked on Thursday. Just add a salad or steamed, buttered broccoli.
30 Minute Dinner Rolls
Soft, warm, homemade dinner rolls are done in 30 minutes! Save some for tomorrow night.
Beef Round Roast
This beef round roast is marinated in beer and brown sugar. So good! And leftovers make great sandwiches to go with the soup on Wednesday!
Even picky eaters love this creamy asparagus casserole with cheesy sauce and crispy topping. Make extra bacon to use in the pea salad on Tuesday.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Old fashioned strawberry rhubarb pie is tangy and sweet - just like grandma made!
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
Baked chicken wings go together fast and they are so easy! Yummy sweet-spicy bourbon glaze. Serve with a side of the cornbread you tossed in the freezer on Thursday.
Sweet Potato Fries
Baked sweet potato fries are so good! Sweet potato strips are tossed in a spicy coating then baked until crispy. Air fryer instructions included.
So easy! These old fashioned lemon snaps cookies are chewy with crispy edges. If you love lemon flavor you'll love these cookies! Save about half for tomorrow's dessert.
Pea, Cheese, & Bacon Salad
The combination of sweet peas, salty cheese, and crunchy bacon in this southern pea salad is out of this world!
No Bake Cheesecake
This is the thick, creamy lemon cheesecake made famous by Woolworth's in the 1960s. Instead of graham crackers use the lemon cookies you reserved from yesterday for the crumb crust and topping.
Beer Cheese Soup
This beer cheese soup is SO good for a light dinner. Serve it with a crispy salad.
Today is National Sourdough Bread Day! This easy, no knead loaf takes a little time but it's worth it!
Grapefruit Tequila Sour
I enjoy having a cocktail on Wednesday night to remind myself I'm over the hump! This grapefruit hibiscus tequila sour is perfection!
📚 Related recipes
📚Easy Weeknight Dinners!
Who doesn't need more easy, weeknight dinner recipes? Check out these 30 family friendly, budget friendly family dinners that are freezable, make-ahead, and can be on the table in minutes.
🛒 Shop this Post
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.