Making this easy homemade hamburger or hot dog buns recipe doesn’t take as long as you might think and the result is spectacular! They come out soft and slightly sweet — just right for all of those grilled burgers you are going to be making.
You can make them with white flour, whole wheat flour, or a combination of flours. Just keep in mind that the whole wheat version is likely to be coarser than if you made it with white flour. If you like onion rolls that’s no problem, add some onion powder to the dough with the salt. The cool thing about these is that you can make them any way you want — it’s just the most versatile recipe ever.
You can even make them ahead of time and freeze for up to three months.
I’ve admitted before that I don’t use fancy cutters. My favorite doughnut, bun, and biscuit cutters are various sizes of cans with the ends cut off! I use a big 24oz can for hamburger buns and it makes them just about right. It takes these just about 30 minutes to rise in my hot, Texas kitchen. If your kitchen is cooler then you might need a little more time.
Once they are baked let them cool before you slice them. You can also put them in an airtight freezer container and freeze them until you are ready to use them. The recipe is easy to double, too.
Homemade Hot Dog Buns Recipe
Hamburger and hot dog buns are cheap in the store and I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes it’s just easier to pick up a package of them rather than make my own. The thing is that they really aren’t that good, they’ve got a lot of junk in them that you don’t want in your body, and really, there’s nothing like putting a gourmet hamburger on a homemade bun. SO good! Please let me know how you like them and give them a 5 star rating below!
Easy, Perfect Homemade Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 cups flour, (unbleached, whole wheat, or a mix)
- 1 active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, , room temperature
- Heat the milk, water, honey and butter until butter is melted.
- Check temperature. Depending on the temperature, let cool to 120F.
- Carefully beat in egg.
- Mix 2 cups of the flour, yeast, and salt.
- Mix into the milk mixture.
- Stir in the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- When the dough pulls together, (it will form a soft ball) turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 -16 equal pieces. This will depend on the size you want for the finished bun.
- Shape into smooth balls, flatten slightly, and place on a silpat covered baking sheet.
- Let rise for 30 to 35 minutes.
- When buns have almost doubled bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, or until done.
- Cool, covered with a tea towel to keep them soft.
If You Like This Homemade Hot Dog Buns Recipe You may also like:
IF YOU LIKED THIS SANDWICH ROLLS RECIPE YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
Click on the image to go straight to the recipe. Texas Knot Rolls, Potato Rolls, 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
Let's Keep in Touch!