This week's meal plan is full of easy, make ahead meals that will keep dinner on the table while you handle the back to school shopping, Parental Taxi Service, and all the normal stuff you have to juggle. You'll love the 15 minute Chicken Alfredo Ravioli, 30 minute baguette, and my twist on a classic banana pudding!
📅 Food Holidays
- August 15 is National Lemon Meringue Pie Day.
- August 16 is National Rum Day.
- August 17 National Vanilla Custard Day.
🫑 What's in Season?
Everything is ripening and coming into the Farmers' Markets now. It's fresh, in season, and at it's best. Make the most of these fresh flavors.
- Bell pepper
- Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- Green beans & Wax beans
- Zucchini and yellow squash
💭 Things to know
These tips will help you save time and money this week:
- Chop all the onions for ALL your recipes at once. It's easiest in the food processor. Keep the chopped onions in a storage container in the fridge and measure out what you need for each recipe. Do the same with other vegetables.
- Add beef broth to leftover pot roast to make into a delicious soup.
- The squash casserole can actually be made into a main dish with the addition of cooked chicken or ham.
- If you have an extra baguette slice it in half horizontally and cover with marinara, mozzarella, and your favorite pizza toppings. Bake until the cheese is melty and bubbly. It's a delicious way to make an inexpensive, family friendly pizza.
- Even easier? Buy the frozen chopped onions, frozen chopped peppers, or seasoning blend at the grocery store.
- Plan for leftovers. For example, if you are having cornbread one night you can make enough to have cornbread dressing as a side on another night.
- If a recipe calls for chicken breast and pork loin happens to be on sale you can usually substitute it.
🍹This week's cocktail
Spiced rum and pineapple juice are the main flavors in this Barbados Punch. Celebrate National Rum Day with this vintage cocktail.
This easy poppyseed chicken casserole is super creamy with fall apart tender chicken in a cheesy sauce and buttery Ritz crackers baked on top. Takes just 30 minutes. Serve a salad or some steamed asparagus as a side dish.
Can you make hot, fresh yeast rolls in 30 minutes? You sure can! These are done fast so it's easy to have fresh rolls with dinner!
Nutter Butter Banana Pudding
My favorite classic banana pudding gets an update with Nutter Butters. Perfect for the peanut butter lover!
Cajun Pot Roast
This slow cooker cajun pot roast is pretty much a one pot meal. It's got a little spicy kick to it but it's not too spicy for the kids. Might want to add a salad to the table for crunch. Save some roast for later in the week.
If you grew up in the 60's you for sure remember Noodles Romanoff, a cheesy side dish that's as easy as can be. It's a great fit with the pot roast, too!
Easy Fried Pies
These fried pies go together fast because you use canned pie filling and biscuit dough from the store! Just add your favorite filling and pan fried in a little oil in your skillet. Rolls them in cinnamon and sugar or just sugar while they're hot.
Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers
These stuffed peppers look complicated but it's not! Meatloaf mixture is stuffed in bell pepper halves then wrapped in bacon and baked. AMAZING!
Green Beans & Potatoes
This classic southern side dish is just perfect with the meatloaf stuffed peppers.
Gooey Butter Bars
The first time I added chocolate chips to my gooey butter bar recipe was an accident but let me tell you - it's the only way I make them now!
Million Dollar Spaghetti
Something like lasagna. Something like spaghetti - million dollar spaghetti is a yummy casserole you can make ahead.
30 Minute Baguette
Believe it or not you can make this chewy baguette in just 30 minutes start to finish. If you don't have much experience with bread it might take a little longer.
Today is National Vanilla Custard Day and we're substituting this easy, homemade vanilla pudding. Add ¼ teaspoon of almond flavoring for variety.
Brown sugar and Garlic Chicken is a 30 minute dinner the family will ask for again and again! You can make it in the oven (best) or in the slow cooker.
Yellow Squash Casserole
Creamy, cheesy, and delicious! This classic southern yellow squash casserole is the best way to use up all that garden produce.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Pineapple upside down cake is a vintage recipe that deserves a comeback!
Alfredo Chicken Ravioli
This is a 15 minute dinner - you've gotta love it! Cheese ravioli is stirred together with spinach and mushrooms then covered with Alfredo sauce. It's comforting and delicious!
If you don't have a cloche you can make this rustic bread in a dutch oven.
Quadruple Chip Cookies
These cookies are chewy with crispy edges and are stuffed with chips and pecans! Delicious for back to school!
Chile Corn Chowder
Creamy corn chowder with lots of southwestern flavors!
Cheddar & Pepper Rolls
Fluffy dinner rolls made with Cheddar cheese and cracked pepper are just right with this soup!
No Bake S'mores Pie
If you love s'mores you'll love this easy no bake pie! I brown the top with a plumber's torch but you can put it under the broiler for a minute if you prefer.