Southern Cornbread Dressing recipe is an easy recipe with plenty of old fashioned flavor. It’s the best recipe around because you make it in a slow cooker! Yep – this homemade dressing (or stuffing if you prefer) recipe is made right in the crockpot so the oven is free for all those pecan pies you’ve got to make. It’s light and fluffy, too. Trust me, you’ll love it!
For this cornbread dressing recipe you’ll need: cornbread, herb stuffing mix, cream of chicken soup, creamed corn, chicken stock, onion, celery, poblano pepper, eggs, sage, salt, pepper, butter, slow cookerJump to Recipe
There is a time and a place to make every single thing from scratch but as far as I’m concerned Thanksgiving isn’t it. I’ll cut corners where I can because I am making pretty much everything but the mashed potatoes and the cranberry sauce. I am likely feeding nine or more people and I’ll be working right up to Thanksgiving Day … and probably Thanksgiving morning.
SO… if it bothers you then either make your own from scratch substitutions or click away for now. I don’t know about you but I will be frazzled enough without worrying about some cream of chicken soup or herb stuffing mix.
I’ll be honest. I’ve been known to just buy a big, old slab of cornbread from the store, too.
Now that True Confessions is out of the way let’s chat about this Southern cornbread dressing. So, some of y’all might know dressing as stuffing and get confused. Here’s the deal – in the South stuffing is actually stuffed inside the bird, whether it’s a turkey or a chicken, and dressing is baked separately and served alongside.
The thing is, nowadays most people don’t stuff their turkey because the FDA or whoever decided that it was unsafe. I like to live dangerously – I tend to eat raw cookie dough, too – and I do sometimes stuff the turkey with old fashioned sage stuffing. In the future this slow cooker cornbread dressing will be on the table whether to sage stuffing is or not — it’s really that good.
And this recipe is mindless and foolproof. You just dump everything in, set the heat and timer, and move off to your next cooking chore.
Other Thanksgiving Recipes
So once you get the Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe down you’ve still got a few things to even out the table. Y’all know I have a ton of Thanksgiving recipes, right? Here are a few of my favorites.
- Green Bean Casserole This really is from scratch. No cream of “xyz” soups at all and even homemade crispy onions for the topping.
- Potatoes au Gratin These are done on top of the stove which keeps your oven open for other things.
- Chipotle Sweet Potatoes Classic sweet potatoes are updated with smoky, spicy chipotle.
- 50 Best Side Dishes on the Internet You’ll definitely find something here.
- Ancho Multi-grain Pilaf with Cranberries A starchy side dish that’s lighter than normal Thanksgiving sides but lots of fall flavor.
- Pumpkin Pie This is the classic Libby’s recipe. I just like it the best.
- Classic Pecan Pie Perfect amount of goo. Perfect amount of pecans. Perfect amount of sweet.
- Holiday Buttered Rum Toffee Pecan Pie Cheesecake I don’t think I need to say anything else, right?
There are tons more… just peruse the recipe index above. 🙂
YOU MAY NEED…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
I love my slow cooker – I’ve had it for several years and it makes my life SO much easier. But… when I get a new one I’m getting this one that can be programmed with my smart phone!This Southern Cornbread Dressing is SO easy... it's almost like magic.Click To Tweet
Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe – In a Slow Cooker
Are you ready for this amazing Southern Cornbread Dressing? I promise, you’ll love it.
Do you get as overwhelmed at Thanksgiving as I do? If so you might like my Thanksgiving Planner that gives you something to do each day so that by Thanksgiving you are ready to be the gracious hostess we all know you are. Free for signing up for the newsletter – which just keeps you up to date with what’s going on here. I never share emails. Sign up here and get your free calendar.
Once you’ve made this light and fluffy Southern cornbread dressing in a slow cooker you’ll never make it any other way. Be sure to scrape down the sides to peel off the crunchy, crusty bits.
- 4 1/2 cups cornbread crumbs
- 1 14 to16-ounce package herb stuffing mix
- 10 3/4 ounces cream of chicken soup 1 can undiluted
- 14 ounces creamed corn 1 can
- 28 ounces chicken stock you might not use all of it
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 poblano pepper fire roasted and diced - optional but yummy
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter cut up in small cubes
Stir together everything but the butter in a 6 quart slow cooker that you've greased.
Dot with the butter.
Cook, covered, on LOW for 4 hours or until cooked through and set.
Fluff with fork if needed.
If you liked this slow cooker cornbread dressing recipe you may also like…
From left to right: Slow cooker Italian beef sandwiches, Slow cooker meatball sandwiches, Slow cooker shredded pork tacos with mango salsa
Check out the other great recipes on the Meal Plan Monday roundup!