This turtle cheesecake recipe was the companion to the Rocky Road Cheesecake I made.
Again, I used an oreo crust. I think that if you are making a chocolate crust this is absolutely the best way to go! There was a layer of caramel and chocolate and nuts on the bottom and then a deep vanilla cheesecake, topped with caramel, chocolate, and pecans.
Was it good? Oh yeah it was. This is such an easy base for cheesecake. If you have read very many of my cheesecake recipes you will soon figure out that they are all the same foundation….. shhhh…don’t tell.
Always use a bain marie for the baking. It allows the cheese filling to bake slowly and evenly and you will end up with a much creamier product. Also, keep everything at room temperature, for the same reason.
- 1 package oreos, , crushed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, , melted
- 32 ounces cream cheese, , room temp
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbs strong bourbon vanilla
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 bag caramels, , unwrapped and chopped, divided use
- 12 oz milk chocolate chips, , divided use
- 1/2 lb pecans, , chopped, divided use
- Remaining milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 lb pecans, , chopped
- Remaining caramels, , unwrapped and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Mix oreos and butter and press into a 9 inch springform
- Wrap the bottom and sides of the springform with aluminum foil to seal out water
- Beat the cream cheese on low speed until blended
- Add sugar and continue to beat on low
- Add the eggs one at a time
- Remove from mixer and fold in sour cream and the vanilla
- Add half the chopped caramels, half the chocolate chips, and half the pecans to the pan over the crust
- Pour the filling over it carefully
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Leave oven door closed and turn off heat.
- Allow to stand for one hour and don't open the door!
- Remove from oven and bain marie and allow to come to room temperature
- Chill for 8 hours
- Remove cake from fridge
- Melt the remaining caramels reserving a few for garnish, cover the top of the cake in caramel
- Sprinkle 1 cup chocolate chips, reserved caramel pieces and pecans, and gently press into the melted caramel
- Bring 1/4 cup cream to a simmer.
- Whisk in remaining chocolate chips until smooth.
- Drizzle over the top of the cake
- Chill until ready to serve
images : marye audetLet's Keep in Touch!