Summer is in full swing and these meals are planned to give you the most free time possible. As always, be sure to read through the tips to save time and money!
🫑 What's in Season?
A better question might be, "what isn't in season?"
Everything is ripening and coming into the Farmers' Markets now. It's fresh, in season, and at it's best. Make the most of these fresh flavors.
- Bell pepper
- Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- Green beans & Wax beans
- Zucchini and yellow squash
📅 Food Holidays
We celebrate a couple of fun food holidays this week. They're silly little holidays but it gives us an opportunity to make some memories and have some fun!
- July 30 National Cheesecake Day - I've added my no bake recipe for lemon cheesecake but if you're feeling particularly adventurous try one of these cheesecakes.
- August 2 National Ice Cream Sandwich Day - y'all I love making my own with these or these and my vanilla ice cream.
- August 3 is National Watermelon Day - no better time to try your hand at a watermelon basket.
- August 4 is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day - I've give you a recipe for my favorite quadruple chip cookies in the meal plan but these chocolate glazed chocolate chip cookies are delish!
💭 Tips for success
- When you poach the chicken for the chicken salad go ahead and make enough for the chicken spaghetti and chicken empanadas, too.
- Use leftover Vienna rolls for garlic bread to go with the chicken spaghetti.
- When you make the meatloaf for the stuffed peppers go ahead and mix up the patties for salisbury steaks. Separate them with waxed paper, cover with plastic wrap and leave them in the fridge until you're ready to cook.
🍹This week's cocktail
Spicy Peach Margarita
One of my favorites! If you love fresh peach flavor and spicy heat you'll love relaxing with this spicy peach margarita cocktail.
Southern style chicken salad has juicy grapes, celery, big chunks of chicken breast, and pecans in a creamy dressing. Use it for sandwiches or on it's own.
Soft and buttery Vienna rolls are the perfect vehicle for getting that scrumptious chicken salad into your mouth.
No Bake Cheesecake
This is the thick, creamy lemon cheesecake made famous by Woolworth's in the 1960s. Instead of graham crackers use the lemon cookies you reserved from yesterday for the crumb crust and topping.
Southern Green Beans
Tangy southern green beans with bacon are a classic side dish that even picky eaters love.
Jello Poke Cake
Jello Poke Cake is fun anytime and with any flavor of Jello. Kids have loved this vintage recipe for decades.
Creamy RoTel Chicken spaghetti is quick and easy when you make it with the extra chicken you cooked on Thursday. Use leftover Vienna rolls to make garlic bread.
Green Bean Salad
Marinated green bean salad has fresh cherry tomatoes, red onions, and baby potatoes in a zesty vinaigrette.
These gooey, fudgy brownies are easy to make and they absolutely are my favorite. SO good.
Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers
The perfect mashup between stuffed peppers and meatloaf! These meatloaf stuffed peppers are wrapped in bacon and baked to smoky perfection.
Creamy broccoli casserole has a crispy, crumbly, buttery topping.
No-Bake Strawberry Pie
If you remember Shoney's Strawberry Pie you'll love this easy, no bake copycat.
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
Baked chicken wings go together fast and they are so easy! Yummy sweet-spicy bourbon glaze. Serve with a side of the cornbread you tossed in the freezer on Thursday.
Sweet Potato Fries
Baked sweet potato fries are so good! Sweet potato strips are tossed in a spicy coating then baked until crispy. Air fryer instructions included.
White Texas Sheet Cake
White Texas Sheet cake is moist and delicious with a topping that's somewhat like vanilla fudge. It's delicious.
These easy to make chicken empanadas are just as good for a main dish as they are for a game day snack. I love them dipped in queso.
This easy queso dip is delicious with the empanadas. You can also make nachos with it.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Happy Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! Celebrate with these chewy quadruple chip cookies!
Easy slow cooker salisbury steak is good any time of the year. It's a hearty meal and, if you prepared the patties earlier in the week, there's almost no prep time.
Fried cabbage is a classic side dish. Cabbage, onions, and bacon simmer in a little bacon grease until it's melt in your mouth tender.
Nutter Butter Banana Pudding
If you love banana pudding you've got to try this Nutter Butter Banana Pudding version.
📚 Related recipes
📚Easy Weeknight Dinners!
Who doesn't need more easy, weeknight dinner recipes? Check out these 30 family friendly, budget friendly family dinners that are freezable, make-ahead, and can be on the table in minutes.