If you are looking for giant, chewy chocolate chip cookies – the kind that stay thick and get crispy edges while the inside is buttery-chewy-perfection you have landed in the right spot. Because, y’all… these. The cookies are made extra big, thick, and chewy and then, when they are cooled you cover them in a thick layer of creamy ganache and sprinkle on more pecans. Last updated 3/21/18
For this recipe you’ll need: butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, baking soda, water, salt, chocolate chips, pecans, heavy cream
You know, I am generally not a big fan of technology. I really do miss the days of three channels and having to get up to change them. I miss talking to real people in customer service. I miss being away from home and unavailable. One thing I have to say is that technology has made the world very small, and with three kids in the military that makes me happy.
When I was in the military I called home, on a pay phone, once a week and it cost $10.00 or so. My parents didn’t know what was going on in my life on a day to day basis (and that was probably a good thing), and I didn’t know what was going on with them. I got letters from them once in awhile and I sent them letters thick with polaroid images of where I was.
On Christmas Day we skyped with one of our kids who is away from home. We set the iPad on the counter while we ate and talked with him, laughed, and shared our meal just as if he was home — except of course he was eating food from the mess hall. It went on for an hour and it didn’t cost anything. We did the same thing on New Years with the son that is in Okinawa. I can chat with any of our kids every day if I want. I can read their Facebook pages, I can text them. They send me pictures and videos.
There is also the thing that I actually only have a career because of the Internet…
So, while I really do miss so many things about our slower, simpler life in the 60s and 70s I love many things about life in the fast lane of 2015. It’s just sometimes I focus on the things I don’t like about it rather than the things I do.
But… big, chewy chocolate chip cookies? They’re forever.
But Do They Ship?
I am not sure these will be great cookies for shipping – but I will let you know because I am sending a batch to Okinawa. I asked Matt if he thought they’d be too gooey and messy by the time they got there and he said: It’ll get messy but it will be fine they look delicious!
So… off they go for an 11 day trip across the world. Update: They arrived perfectly!
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe Notes
These big, yummy, addictive, chewy chocolate chip cookies aren’t the kind of cookies you send to school in a lunchbox (unless you are in heavy competition with another kid’s mom). They are the kind you make for serious comfort, celebration, or chocolate craving. In fact, Nick (14) told me he liked them best without the ganache because it was almost too much chocolate.
Thick, chewy cookies with gooey chocolate chips are one of those things most of us strive for in life. Here are some tips to help you make that dream come true.
- Mix two or three kinds of chocolate chips rather than using just one
- Use room temperature butter
- Try using vanilla butter nut flavoring in place of the vanilla
- Toast the chopped pecans to bring out more flavor
- Use a heavy, high quality cookie sheet
- Chill the cookie sheet
- Scoop the cookies onto the sheet with a cookie scoop so all the cookies are the same size
- Put the cookie sheet back in the freezer for about 5 minutes
What Makes a Chocolate Chip Cookie Chewy?
- Keeping the moisture content high is what makes your cookies chewy – that’s why brown sugar is SO great in chocolate chip cookies it keeps them moist! Other things that contribute to high moisture content are oven temperature, how well the ingredients are blended without being over mixed, and how much flour is used.
- Overbaking them will make them crispy. Take the cookie out of the oven when it’s just slightly underdone and leave it on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes then remove to cool completely.
- You can try adding 1 extra egg yolk to the recipe.
- Try adding an tablespoon of cream to the recipe
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
If you are anything like me your cookie sheets need replacing… often. I used to just buy cheap ones but once my husband replaced my cookie sheets with higher quality ones and I was hooked. Better heat distribution, better quality cookies!
Colossal Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
This big, bold, chewy chocolate chip cookies are the best way to bring a real chocolate lover around to your way of thinking. It’s not even a fair fight with all of that chocolate ganache on top! If you love this easy recipe please give it 5 stars, thanks!
Giant Chewy Chocolate Chip CookiesPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 cup butter, , softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cup chopped, , toasted pecans, divided use
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Cream together the butter and both sugars until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs and yolk, one at a time incorporating them well after each addition - about 3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla.
- Dissolve baking soda and salt in hot water.
- Add the baking soda mixture to the batter.
- Stir in flour.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, and 1 cup of the nuts.
- Drop by mounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased pans - 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are golden but the center is still slightly underdone.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Dip in the melted ganache.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup reserved pecans.
- Microwave the cream until it begins to bubble.
- Remove from microwave and stir in the chocolate until it is melted and smooth.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.
If you liked Giant Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies you might also like…
Quadruple Chip Cookies, Lavender Shortbread Cookies, Maple Pecan Sandies