Wondering what to serve with salisbury steak? I've got you with over 60 ideas for side dishes, breads, desserts, and more!
❤️ Why we love it
Salisbury steak, sometimes called "poor man's steak" is an easy, family friendly comfort food that's been around for a long time.
My slow cooker Salisbury Steak recipe is made with lean ground beef, has a creamy sauce, and it's so easy!
The best side dishes for this are made with simple ingredients that allow the flavors of the rich mushroom gravy to shine and offer a contrasting texture to the tender meat patties.
Any of these sides would go great with these hamburger steaks as well!
Comfort food begs for a comforting, carb-filled side dish! Potato recipes are hearty and filling - they're a great side dish for salisbury steak dinners!
- homemade mashed potatoes
- mashed red skinned potatoes
- scalloped potatoes
- stovetop potatoes au gratin
- baked potatoes au gratin
- baked potatoes
- tater tots
- crispy fried potatoes
- buttered creamer potatoes
- boiled potatoes
🍚 Rice and noodles
Rice and noodles are some of the best side dishes for salisbury steak because they don't fight with the gravy for flavor control!
- egg noodles
- any buttered pasta shape with a quick shake of parmesan cheese
- Noodles Romanaff
- jalapeno cheese grits
- buttered rice
- rice cooked in beef broth or french onion soup
- macaroni and cheese
🥦 Vegetables & fruit
SO many great side dish vegetables to choose from!
- fried cabbage
- green beans and potatoes
- sauteed mushrooms
- roasted maple carrots
- steamed broccoli
- steamed cauliflower
- roasted squash and brussels sprouts
- fried apples
- spiced apple rings
- sauteed spinach and bacon
- creamed corn
- sauteed zucchini
- buttered peas
- asparagus with a little lemon juice squeezed over the top
- fried onions
- onion rings
Salads can be simple or complex. They add texture and crunch as well as nutrition.
- broccoli salad
- marinated green bean salad
- classic tossed salad
- carrot raisin salad
- apple walnut salad
- 3- bean salad
- broiled grapefruit halves
- classic wedge salad
- southern cucumber salad
Breads round out the meal (and, all too often, the diner) as well as giving us a way to sop up all that good gravy!
I prefer fruit desserts like apple pie with salisbury steak because it is a nice change from the creamy sauce.
When you think of a dessert to go with salisbury steak, hamburger steak, or poor man's steak type dishes you can't go wrong with classic diner type desserts!
A scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream is always welcome if you are so inclined!
- dutch apple pie
- red hot apple pie
- spice cake
- banana cake
- blueberry peach cobbler
- strawberry rhubarb pie
- oatmeal cookies
A garnish makes anything prettier! Add one of these easy garnishes to finish off the look of your salisbury steak.
- pickled onions
- french fried onions
- chopped parsley
- sliced green onions
- sauteed mushrooms and onions sprinkled on top
- sauteed bell peppers - mix the colors to make them extra pretty
🍷 Wine and cocktails
I like pinot noir with my recipe for salisbury steak because it really brings out the flavor of the mushrooms and creamy sauce. A cabernet sauvignon pairs well, too.
With hamburger steaks you'll want to try a zinfandel or a syrah.
I don't care for beer with creamy sauces but I can tell you that starting the meal with a classic old fashioned cocktail is a nice touch.
🥘 Other dinner recipes these sides go great with
These side dishes are a perfect accompaniment to these other main dishes, too!
- ground beef stroganoff
- classic beef stroganoff
- beef tips and gravy
💭 Things to know
Classic salisbury steak is total comfort food and it's not meant to be fancy but here are some tips to get the very best results from the meal.
- If you're serving with mashed potatoes arrange the salisbury steak patties over the potatoes so the rich gravy covers both.
- Try not to serve two starchy sides. For example, don't serve mashed potatoes and corn.
- Think about different textures and choose a variety - a crispy salad, the tender beef, creamy gravy...
- Leftover salisbury steak? It's SO good for making a hot, open faced sandwich! Just put it on bread or toast, and cover with the gravy. If you don't have enough meat for everyone to get a piece chop it up to make it go further.
When your dinner menu calls for classic comfort food salisbury steak is always a family favorite - and these easy side dishes are the perfect way to round out the meal.