Updated with even more great cookout side dish ideas for summer 2023!
Whether you're grilling on the weekend or hosting a casual backyard get-together you'll find plenty of classic southern cookout side dishes and expert tips to make it perfect!
Table of Contents
- Frito Corn Salad
- Copycat Red, Hot, and Blue Potato Salad
- Southern Cucumber Salad
- Cornbread Salad
- Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad
- Classic Potato Salad
- BBQ Macaroni Salad
- Pea and Cheese Salad
- Grilled Pear Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad with Vinaigrette
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Italian Green Bean Salad
- Brazilian Grilled Pineapple
- Grilled Potato Packets
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Fruit Salad
- Dr Pepper Baked Beans
- More summer side dishes
- 💭 Tips
- 📚 Related recipes
- 🍽 Equipment
- 💬 Comments
Frito Corn Salad
Recipe: Frito Corn Salad
Talk about kid friendly! They'll love this easy salad recipe! Crunchy, salty Fritos corn chips are mixed with corn kernels, bell peppers, onions, and cheese then covered in a creamy taco flavored dressing.
Copycat Red, Hot, and Blue Potato Salad
Recipe: Red, Hot, and Blue Potato Salad
This easy potato salad goes together in 30 minutes. Since it can be served warm you can make it for last minute get-togethers or make it ahead of time and serve it chilled for planned cookouts.
Southern Cucumber Salad
Recipe: Southern Cucumber Onion Salad
Refreshing cucumber salad is made with fresh-from-the-garden cucumbers and purple onions in a tangy-sweet dressing made with vinegar. I like it with lots of pepper!
Recipe: Easy Cornbread Salad
This simple cornbread salad is similar to Italian Panzanella salad! It's unusual but absolutely delicious. It makes a lot and is super inexpensive so it's perfect for potlucks and feeding a crowd.
Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad
Recipe: Macaroni Salad
This everyone's favorite summer side dish - Mom's macaroni salad! Creamy, tangy, and wonderfully make ahead!
It's the classic recipe that Mom no doubt got from the back of the Hellmann's mayonnaise jar and welcome at backyard barbecues all summer long.
Classic Potato Salad
Recipe: Potato Salad
Potato salad is definitely one of the best cookout side dishes ever! It goes together easy, everyone loves it because it's full of delicious flavors, and it can be made ahead of time!
Just make sure to keep it on ice if you're serving outside.
BBQ Macaroni Salad
Recipe: BBQ Macaroni Salad
This quick side dish recipe is perfect for your next cookout! When you want to really make people take notice of the (usually) ignored side dishes serve this easy BBQ macaroni salad!
It's creamy like the original but this has some sweet heat and southwestern goodness!
Pea and Cheese Salad
Recipe: Pea & Cheese Salad
Use fresh or frozen peas for this luscious, southern style pea salad recipe! Sweet green peas, crispy bacon, and cheddar are mixed together with red onion and a yummy mayonnaise based dressing. A great side dish for any cookout!
Grilled Pear Salad
Recipe: Grilled Pear Salad
I've taken the southern classic pear salad and updated it by grilled the pears to perfect, caramelized sweetness and adding a sprinkle of bleu cheese and chopped pecans then drizzling with honey. Simple and delicious!
Italian Pasta Salad with Vinaigrette
Recipe: Italian Pasta Salad
This is the best of the summer salads! It makes it into the collection of best cookout side dishes because it tolerates heat! No worries about spoilage like with mayo based dressings. Fresh, bright flavors - it will disappear fast. It needs to be made the day before serving.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
I grew up on this soothing summer side dish! Cucumbers are stirred together with a sour cream based dressing and some herbs to make a simple dish that's perfect on the hottest summer day.
Italian Green Bean Salad
Recipe: Green Bean Salad
This is the perfect side dish to take to potlucks and summer picnics because it can sit out at room temperature (or even the summer heat) for hours and not go bad. The dressing is a zesty Italian dressing that soaks into the potatoes, tomatoes, and green beans. SO good!
Brazilian Grilled Pineapple
Recipe: Brazilian Grilled Pineapple
You've just got to love a recipe that works as either a side dish or a dessert! This easy grilled pineapple is brushed with a mixture of bourbon, brown sugar, and butter then grilled to caramelized perfection. It's one of those easy recipes that just hollers summer eating!
Grilled Potato Packets
Recipe: Grilled Potato Packets
These are perfect for camping and cookouts because the foil packets can go right in the coals! Potatoes, Ranch seasoning, cheese... it's so good! Big plus? Since it's cooked in aluminum foil packets it's goes perfectly with all of your grilling recipes - juicy burgers, hot dogs (slightly charred, please), and crispy grilled chicken!
Tortellini Pasta Salad
Recipe: Tortellini Pasta Salad
Cheese filled tortellini, olives, asparagus - it's all in this delicious summer side dish! Be sure to let this one sit overnight before serving - it's so much better the second day!
Recipe: Broccoli Salad
This crunchy broccoli salad recipe has a creamy, sweet-tangy dressing and it's so easy to make! Sunflower seeds, cheese, and red onions make is nutritious, delicious, and it's keto-friendly!
Recipe: Summer Fruit Salad
This is beautiful for the summer holidays and just as yummy as it is pretty!
Picky eaters, even the pickiest eaters, will have a hard time saying no to the sweet, ripe summer fruit in a sweet lime and honey dressing. It's one of the most kid-friendly side dishes I make!
Dr Pepper Baked Beans
Recipe: Dr Pepper Baked Beans
Easy baked beans are spiced up with the flavor of Dr Pepper! This easy recipe starts with canned pork and beans to save time.
More summer side dishes
Here are more delicious sides for summer cookouts that the whole family will love!
- Broccoli cauliflower salad is similar to the broccoli salad above but has a generous amount of cauliflower which adds a beautiful color contrast.
- Tex-mex salad is a creamy pasta salad made with fun pasta shapes that kids love.
- Easy Mexican cole slaw goes with anything but I love it with fajitas! (from Bowl-Me-Over.com)
- Tuna Pasta Salad is great as a light main dish on a hot day or a delicious side dish at a potluck or cookout. (Also from Bowl-Me-Over.com)
- Italian marinated grilled vegetables are quick and easy! (from Allourway.com)
- If you've never tried Cajun potato salad you're in for a real treat! (from Caglediaries.com)
- Light eating is easy when you put this mediterranean chickpea salad on the table! Plus it's vegan! (from Amiraspantry.com)
We love a summer cookout - and I consider Memorial Day a practice run for 4th of July and Labor Day!
Expert Tip: Keep cookout side dishes made with mayonnaise on ice during serving. You can do this by putting the serving bowl in a bigger bowl filled with ice and checking it often.
Some people bring good side dishes to potlucks and summer parties - while others bring bowls of magic that disappear fast and have people lining up to get the recipe.
Here are some tips to make sure you're in the second bunch.
- Most summer sides are best if made a day ahead and allowed to chill overnight.
- You can usually get away with making these recipes two days ahead of time and keeping them tightly covered in the refrigerator.
- Pastas are best if they are overcooked a little bit before they're added to the rest of the ingredients in pasta salads. Tender pasta soaks up more of the dressing that way.
- Make sure you bring all the ingredients to room temperature before mixing - hot pasta or potatoes will quickly cook the celery in a dish and make it limp.
- Keep salad with a creamy dressing cold in a cooler or by setting the serving bowl in a big bowl of ice.
- Put away leftovers quickly and throw away anything that you're not sure stayed cool enough. A little food is not worth the possibility of an ER visit!
- A sliced tomato salad is one of those super easy side dishes for a cookout when you make it with those vine ripe tomatoes that are abundant now. If you're in a hurry just wash, slice thick, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar or a zesty Italian dressing. Voila! (Plus leftovers make a great tomato sandwich!
- Fresh salads with simple seasonings are quick and easy sides for summer dinners. The in-season produce just doesn't need much to make it delicious!
Don't forget dessert! This Jello poke cake is perfect!
Any of the recipes on this page are perfect for a potluck, bbq, or cookout! The cornbread salad, macaroni salad, and baked beans are cookout classics and feed a crowd inexpensively.
The Italian green bean salad, Dr Pepper baked beans, and tortellini pasta salad are all easy to make. You can make them up to 2 days ahead of serving.
It's important to be careful with food safety anytime of the year but especially during the hot summer. According to United States FSIS throw away anything that has been out of the refrigerator for more than 2 hours. If it's over 90F then throw away anything that's been out for 1 hours or more. Better yet, keep cold foods on ice and refrigerate leftovers promptly.
📚 Related recipes
Here are more of my favorite cookout side dish ideas.
- I usually don't like to heat up the kitchen in the summer but this southern style baked macaroni and cheese it totally worth it - plus you can do it on the grill if you use the iron skillet.
- Don't save green bean casserole for Thanksgiving! It's a great addition to your cookout menu.
- Black Eyed Pea Salad is sometimes called Cowboy Caviar. I could eat my weight in this stuff!
- Green Beans with Potatoes is a classic southern side dish any time of the year!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here are a few tools to make your summer cookouts safer and easier!
- Chilled Serving Bowl keeps cold foods safely cold! The stainless steel serving bowl fits into another container that holds plenty of ice.
- Surface thermometer is perfect for checking the surface temperatures of side dishes to make sure they are in the safe zone of 40 degrees F or cooler. You can also use it as a family thermometer to check kids' temperatures while they sleep.
- Mesh covers keep the flies and other bugs off of your cookout side dishes while you're grilling -- and you don't have to keep covering and uncovering with plastic wrap! I love these things.
You'll find more great recipes in the side dish category. Now, go fire up that grill and get cooking!
First published June 13, 2020. Last updated July 5, 2023 to add more side dish recipes and more tips and inspiration.