Juicy, sweet, and full of flavor from the brown sugar mixture; this is the perfect addition to any meal. You'll be hooked from the first bite!
Table of Contents
❤️ Why you'll love it
- It's made on the grill top with just 5 simple ingredients.
- It's one of the best recipes for summertime!
- Inspired by traditional Brazilian cuisine, grilled pineapple is the best way to satisfy your sweet tooth when you want something light and healthy.
A light dessert, Brazilian grilled pineapple is one of my favorite things to serve when the weather gets warm. It's an easy way to have a quick dessert in the summer.
Before I tasted this recipe, I never knew just how good pineapple could be. The sugar glaze creates an incredible caramelization that is out of this world delicious.
Served warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, it's a kid-friendly dessert you'll be sure to make a second time!
This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the green recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
This is an overview of the instructions. Full instructions are in the green recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Peel and cut pineapple.
- Spoon the buttery brown sugar cinnamon glaze on the sides of the pineapple slices.
- Place pineapple wedges on preheated grill. Grill on each side.
- Brush with more cinnamon sugar glaze several times during cooking.
Keep leftovers in an airtight container or ziploc bag in the fridge for up to 4 days.
When you're ready to eat, you can serve your pineapple spears cold.
However, if you prefer them warm, heat them in the microwave, place them in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, heat them in the air fryer, or add them back on the outdoor grill for a few minutes!
This Brazilian grilled pineapple does not freeze well.
- Add maple extract to the glaze.
- Cut in rings instead of wedges and add to burgers and grilled chicken sandwiches.
- Add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice for an extra citrusy taste.
- For a savory option, add a dash of chili powder.
- Sometimes I like to add a pinch of crushed red pepper for some zing.
- Use rum instead of bourbon.
- Swap out the brown sugar for maple syrup instead.
- Add a few teaspoons of vanilla to enhance the flavor.
- Wrap the pineapple in prosciutto before serving.
💭 Things to know
Expert Tip: Be careful! The alcohol in the glaze can flare up. Always pay close attention while basting!
- Wipe the grates of the grill with oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray to keep the fruit from sticking.
- Preheat the grill so it's warm and ready to go!
- Be sure to pick a ripe pineapple without any soft or rotting spots.
- For the best results, use fresh pineapple instead of canned varieties.
- While on the grill, flip the pineapple spears over, cooking them on all sides.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the pineapple in half. Then, slice each section in half again to create pineapple spears.
- Be sure to brush the pineapple with the brown sugar mixture several times as it's grilling.
Try this as a refreshing side dish for creamy Mexican lasagna.
Depending on the type of grill used and how big you cut your pineapple, it takes about 6-7 minutes per side.
Yes, just be sure to drain it well and pat dry if it's canned in pineapple juice.
I haven't tried it, but it should work! I would try it out with peaches first.
📚 Related recipes
- An easy 5 minute dessert, pineapple cream cheese pie is made with simple ingredients and always gets rave reviews.
- Creamy, tropical goodness, pineapple fluff is one of those old-school recipes everyone loves!
- A traditional holiday recipe, southern pineapple casserole is a dish that straddles the fence between sweet and savory but is always delicious.
- Pineapple upside down cake is decadently rich and luscious for a dessert no one can say no to eating.
🍽️ Serve with...
Combine this Brazilian steakhouse favorite with these dishes for a complete meal to add to your dinner table.
- Grilled shrimp creole is quick and easy but looks fabulously fancy.
- Quick, juicy, and simple, bacon wrapped bbq chicken breast on the grill is always a great option for dinner!
- I love this as a side to this hearty burrito casserole in colder weather.
- An easy summer side dish cheesy ranch foil grilled potatoes are full of flavor and cooked to perfection.
- Made with layers and full of color, southern cornbread salad is a great make-ahead side dish!
- Cut the pineapple up after grilling and add to this honey garlic meatballs recipe just before serving.
📞 The last word
We have several Brazilian restaurants nearby and my husband goes for all the grilled meat and I go for the caramelized grilled pineapple!
It makes a delicious side dish as well as a simple summer dessert recipe.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need. Don't forget that you can click on "add to collection" to save it to your own, private recipe box!
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Brazilian Grilled PineapplePrint Save Recipe
- One fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Lay the pineapple on it’s side, slice off the bottom and the crown.
- Turn the pineapple upright, with a sharp knife, remove peel. Work your way around the fruit slicing away the peel.
- Slice strips of pineapple from the fruit, discard the core.
- Place pineapple slices in casserole dish.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Whisk in brown sugar until melted.
- Remove from heat, add bourbon and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Spoon over pineapple, brush sauce over both sides.
- Preheat the grill to 375 degrees, lightly oil the grates.
- Grill pineapple wedges for 6-7 minutes on each side until golden brown, basting with sauce.
- Serve with any leftover sauce. Terrific as a side dish, or as a yummy dessert with a scoop of ice cream!
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
First published May 22, 2022. Last updated April 5, 2023 for improved readability and more tips.