This week we celebrate Mother's Day with an easy, but elegant, brunch. I'm also excited to break out the grill and get grilling season started! Take a look!
📅 Food Holidays
- May 8th is National Coconut Cream Pie Day (as well as Mother's Day) and since you can never have too many desserts try this coconut praline pie.
- May 9th is National Shrimp Day - a good time to try this grilled shrimp creole.
- May 11th is the best food holiday ever - National Eat What You Want Day.
- May 12th is National Nutty Fudge Day and it's definitely time to try my melt in your mouth old fashioned fudge recipe if you haven't already.
- May 13th is National Apple Pie Day so choose between this Candy Apple Pie and the Dutch Apple below. You can't go wrong.
💭 Things to know
- Cook enough ground beef for both the taco spaghetti and the million dollar spaghetti at the same time. It will save a few minutes of prep time.
- The Hawaiian wedding cake will last several days in the refrigerator as long as it's tightly covered with plastic wrap. Make it a day or two ahead of time.
- You can put the dry rub on the meat and put it back in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 24 hours. The meat will soak up all those delicious flavors in the rub while it's waiting for you to get the grill going.
- The Frito salad can be assembled all but the Fritos up to two days ahead of time. Stir the corn chips in just before serving.
- Leftover Chicken Lazone? Use it in place of crispy chicken for the chicken and waffles or serve over leftover biscuits.
- Make extra waffles. They freeze well and are such a delicious breakfast!
🍹This week's cocktail
The Dirty Shirley is a grown up update on your favorite childhood "cocktail", the Shirley Temple.
Taco spaghetti is an easy one pan meal that's done in less than 30 minutes! Creamy, cheesy comfort food and super easy clean up! Serve with a crispy side salad.
Cornmeal popovers are light and crispy. They mix up fast in the blender and are a fun accompaniment to the spaghetti.
Hawaiian Wedding Cake
Hawaiian wedding cake is a moist, delicious dessert. The batter is full of pineapple and coconut then the finished cake is poked and soaked in a sweet coconut milk mixture. Finally, cream cheese frosting is added to the top. SO good!
May 8: Mother's Day
Monte Cristo Casserole
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms! This simple Monte Cristo Casserole is the easiest ever way to get the flavors of the popular sandwich!
Tortellini, asparagus and black olives are marinated in a zesty Italian dressing. This tortellini salad is so easy!
Strawberry Pavlova looks like a fancy dessert and it tastes like a fancy dessert but it is really easy to make! Mom will love it.
Grapefruit Tequila Sour
Toast Mom on Mother's Day with these delicious Grapefruit- Hibiscus Tequila Sours.
Use this Texas all purpose dry rub on pork chops, steaks, or even chicken before grilling and get ready to sit down to absolute deliciousness!
Frito Corn Salad
Corn, cheese, onions, and crispy corn chips make this unique Frito salad the perfect summer side dish.
If you love snickerdoodle cookies as much as I do try sandwiching these together with vanilla ice cream in between. You're welcome.
Creamy Chicken Lazone
Chicken Lazone is a New Orleans specialty that is spicy, creamy, rich, and downright delish!
30 Minute Baguette
Yes, you can absolutely make this easy baguette in 30 minutes!
Old fashioned, homemade meatloaf with a tangy glaze. Juicy and delicious!
Easy Drop Biscuits
No kneading, no rolling, no cutting - these drop biscuits come out big and fluffy without the hassle of conventional biscuits.
Cucumbers in Sour Cream
Cucumbers in sour cream is one of my favorite side dishes. I like to use leftovers as the filling for cucumber sandwiches.
Chardonnay Lemon Pound Cakes
Dainty lemon pound cakes make with Chardonnay have a delicate, citrus flavor. They're super moist and delicious, too!
Million Dollar Spaghetti
Million dollar spaghetti is a mashup between spaghetti and lasagna. It's so good with a creamy, cheese center.
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
Crunchy, tangy, sweet... this easy broccoli cauliflower salad has it all.
Vienna rolls are light and buttery. They're easy to make and they freeze well so make a big batch.
Fudgy, rich chocolate pudding is made in the microwave so it never sticks or scorches.
Creamy and sweet! Homemade KFC copycat cole slaw can be made a few days ahead of time if you want.
Dutch Apple Pie
Finish this country comfort food dinner off with a thick slice of Dutch Apple Pie. After all, it's National Apple Pie Day.
Enjoy 30 quick weeknight dinner recipes!