This week many of us are sending kids back to school if we have't already. It's time for easy, one pot and 30 minute meals that warm up easily to cover all the crazy schedules!
📅 Food Holidays
- August 20 National Bacon Lovers Day is the perfect time to try this onion bacon jam.
- August 21 National Sweet Tea Day - I like mine with bourbon, how about you?
- August 22 National Eat a Peach Day and one of the best ways to do it? This easy peach cobbler dump cake.
- August 26 Whiskey Sour Day - literally one of my favorite cocktails ever.
💭 Things to know
- Make extra fried potatoes and treat the family to a hearty country breakfast with the leftovers just cook some sausage and bell pepper until done then stir in the potatoes and warm through..
- Leftover smothered chicken? Serve it over toast for breakfast or a light lunch.
- You'll use the leftover devils food cake for the brownie punchbowl cake or stir it into the chocolate ice cream.
- Prepare as much as possible on your day off. Chop all the onions for the week and put them in an airtight container. Cook up all the ground beef you'll need and separate it into the amount you need for each recipe.
🍹This week's cocktail
Think of this creamy Blue Hawaiian cocktail as a blue pina colada.
Crispy, tender... This fried potatoes recipe is my favorite! Whether you call the home fries of cottage fries, they are welcome at any meal.
Spiced Devil's Food Cake
I found this spiced devil's food cake recipe in a Depression era cookbook. It's unique with it's combination of rich chocolate and spice. Save leftover cake to dice up for the brownie trifle.
Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
Philly cheesesteak pasta has all the flavors of the popular sandwich in an easy, one pot pasta meal!
Southern Green Beans
Classic southern green beans simmer for hours but you can get that same great flavor in just a few minutes with my recipes!
Homemade peach cobbler from fresh peaches is a classic southern dessert during the summer!
Crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside. This deviled chicken is one of my favorites.
When summer squash is plentiful this squash casserole with stuffing is the perfect side dish!
Candy Apple Pie
Remember candy apples? Well this apple pie has all that flavor.
Wrap chicken breast in bacon, brush with bbq sauce and grill. It couldn't be easier. Definitely add the bourbon peaches alongside.
This creamy salad is full of sweet peas, bacon, and cheddar covered in a creamy dressing.
Chewy in the middle. Crispy on the edges. Covered in the perfect blend of cinnamon and sugar. These snickerdoodles are the best.
Old fashioned stuffed peppers are one of my favorite meals. I grew up with this dish on the table often! You can get all the flavor and save time but just chopping the peppers up and making this as a casserole. Make extra rice for tomorrow.
Green Bean Salad
Green beans, potatoes, onions, and cherry tomatoes are marinated in zesty Italian dressing. This salad is absolutely delish!
No Bake Lemon Cheesecake
This vintage cheesecake recipe is so easy! Creamy and lighter than traditional cheesecake.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Creamy chicken enchiladas are a great way to begin the celebration. Serve with rice and a salad.
Enjoy this summer fruit salad while you can! I used peaches, melon, and berries in this but you could use your favorites.
Caramel, chocolate, pecans.... everyone loves these dessert nachos. They're a nice change from S'mores.
Pot Roast with Cheese Grits
Tender, slow cooked pot roast is spooned over a bed of smoky jalapeno cheese grits. Perfect comfort food for "one of those" days.
Southern fried cabbage is slowly simmers until it is tender and soaks up all the flavors from the bacon and onion.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
For chocolate lovers only! Super creamy chocolate chocolate chip ice cream is a sweet way to end this week's meal plan.
📚 Related recipes
Enjoy 30 quick weeknight dinner recipes!