This Onion Bacon Jam appetizer is perfect for the holidays because it's so versatile. Sweet caramelized onions, smoky bacon, rich maple syrup, and spicy chipotle are simmered until the mixture becomes thick and jammy.
The ingredients that you'll need for this onion bacon jam appetizer are: onions, garlic, bacon, maple syrup, red wine, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon, cloves, chipotle powder, smoked paprika, cream cheese, Ritz crackers, and bleu cheese. You'll need about 40 minutes to make this recipe.
I was looking at information on Aruba - just because I think it would be a cool place to go someday and I came across a recipe called Zult.
The name doesn't sound romantic at all and actually once I started reading the recipe I decided that there was no way Zult and I could ever be friends but I could create a twist on that recipe.
I mean, it called for pigs' ears and that's not on my "wow I always wanted to eat that!" list.
I fried bacon then caramelized onions in the grease.
Toward the end I added some chopped garlic, too.
Once the onion was caramelized I added the bacon back in along with red wine, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, and the spices and I tried to stay pretty close to the flavors called for in the Zult.
I simmered that for about 30 minutes, it may take a little longer for you or even a little less time. Just watch it carefully and stir once in awhile to keep it from sticking.
One the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick and jammy remove it from the heat and let it cool.
I spread the original Ritz crackers with cream cheese, topped with a spoonful of the caramelized onion bacon jam recipe then sprinkled it with bleu cheese.
The cream cheese helps to keep the cracker crisp and the salty bleu cheese balances out the sweet and spicy notes. It's one big bite of fantastic and it's super easy!
Onion Bacon JamPrint Save Go to Collections
- ½ pound bacon
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, , finely chopped
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt, , or to taste (depends on how salty the bacon is)
- ⅛ teaspoon roasted cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch chipotle powder, , or to taste
For Cracker Appetizers
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- Original Ritz Crackers
- Onion Bacon Jam
- Bleu Cheese, , optional
- Cut the bacon into small squares.
- Fry it until done -- do not over cook.
- Remove from pan but don't drain the grease.
- Set bacon aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan.
- Cook over low heat until the onion is tender and transparent, stirring often.
- Add the bacon back into the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, stirring often, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
For Cracker Appetizers
- Spread each cracker with ½ tablespoon of cream cheese.
- Top with a spoonful of the onion bacon jam.
- Sprinkle with bleu cheese if desired.