This week I'm thinking about those busy back to school weeks coming up. You can assemble the taco stuffed shells and Mexican lasagna a few days ahead of time and bake when you're ready to eat. They both freeze well, too.
The creamy ground beef skillet dinner takes just 30 minutes and I've added a couple of slow cooker meals. Enjoy!
📅 Food Holidays
We celebrate a couple of fun food holidays this week. They're silly little holidays but it gives us an opportunity to make some memories and have some fun!
- August 6 is National Root Beer Float Day. They are a favorite of mine!
- August 10 is National S'mores Day and I've added an easy but delicious no bake s'mores pie.
🫑 What's in Season?
A better question might be, "what isn't in season?"
Everything is ripening and coming into the Farmers' Markets now. It's fresh, in season, and at it's best. Make the most of these fresh flavors.
- Bell pepper
- Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- Green beans & Wax beans
- Zucchini and yellow squash
💭 Tips for success
- When you're making the ground beef for the beef and potato skillet brown enough for the taco stuffed shells and Mexican lasagna.
- You can save time by assembling the stuffed shells and Mexican lasagna ahead of time. Just slip into the oven to bake before serving.
- Keep a batch of the campfire sauce in the fridge all the time. It's great on burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs, salads, baked potatoes, fries...
- Have beef and potato skillet leftovers? Roll out rounds of refrigerated biscuit dough and put about a tablespoon and a half of it in each one. Bake as directed in the empanadas recipe. It's a great lunch!
- Leftover cucumbers in sour cream make the most delicious sandwiches ever. Just layer the cucumbers on white bread...mmmm...
🍹This week's cocktail
Apple Cider Sangria
This fruity apple sangria is full of fall flavor. I know we're still smack in the middle of hot weather but give this a try!
Creamy Ground Beef & Potato Skillet
Ground beef and potato skillet is an easy, 6 ingredient dish that's ready in less than 30 minutes. Assemble the Mexican lasagna tonight to save time later in the week.
Green Bean Salad
This green bean salad has tons of fresh flavor! I like to use the multicolor little baby potatoes along with the cherry tomatoes and green beans.
Oh Henry Bars
I loved these Oh Henry Bars when I was little and honestly I can still make a batch disappear pretty fast.
I could almost drink this copycat Red Robin Campfire Sauce! It's delicious on EVERYTHING!
I've been making these beer batter onion rings forever. They are always light and crispy!
Cheesy Mexican Lasagna
Layers of taco seasoned beef, cheese, refried beans, and tortillas bake up into a gooey, cheesy meal in 30 minutes. Mexican lasagna freezes well, too!
Cucumbers with Sour Cream
This creamy cucumber salad has always been a summer favorite around here.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Warm, chocolatey, cinnamon flavors in this fudgy cupcake will make this recipe your favorite.
Crockpot Ranch Chicken
An all in one dinner that is so easy! Crockpot Ranch Chicken has potatoes, carrots, and tender fall-apart chicken breast in a delicious gravy.
Homemade potato rolls are float away soft and tender. There's nothing like the taste of one that's warm from the oven and has butter melting into it. Make extra- they are delicious slider buns for deli meats.
Bourbon Pecan Cake
Bourbon Pecan Cake is one of my favorites. It's super easy to make!
30 Minute Baguette
Believe it or not, this baguette recipe really can be made from start to finish in just over 30 minutes!
Creamy chocolate filling topped with a torched marshmallow meringue - this no bake S'mores pie is a perfect bite of summer.
Quick and easy! BBQ chicken is so good! Chicken breast wrapped in bacon, brushed with your favorite bbq sauce and grilled.
Macaroni salad is a classic! This recipe is creamy with just the right amount of tangy goodness.
Circus Animals Cookies Ice Cream
I love homemade ice cream any time of the year and I will admit that a bag of frosted Circus Animal cookies basically evaporates around me. This circus animal cookies ice cream is a must try!
Slow Cooker Swiss Steak is an old fashioned meal that deserves a comeback! SO much flavor!
Green Beans & Potatoes
This classic southern side dish is perfect with this Swiss Steak.
Trust me, there's nothing in the world like homemade chocolate pudding! SO good.