Apple cider sangria is a sweet, white sangria with plenty of warm fall flavor! It’s perfect for autumn parties and holiday gatherings. Be careful though, this gentle adult beverage carries a big wallop! Make a lot — it disappears fast! This post has been updated from the original November 2015 version. Last update November 2018.
For this recipe you’ll need: Riesling, Pinot Grigio, apple cider, spiced rum, cinnamon schnapps, green apple vodka, Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples, cinnamon sticks, while cloves, guijillo chile (optional), ginger ale
Apple Cider Sangria Backstory
Apple cider sangria is a refreshing drink that is so good it will be tough to maintain self control. The white wine takes on the flavor of the apple cider, which is boosted with apple vodka, then you add some cinnamon schnapps and spiced rum.
When you do something you might as well do it right, I always say. It seemed like it was still going to be a little tame to me so in went a dried guijillo chile. God forbid it would be too tame, right?
Just before serving club soda adds just the right amount of sparkle and dilutes the alcohol a little – which is good because otherwise y’all would be gulping this down like the Kool Aid guy passed it out. And you’d be trashed.
Do not be afraid of the guijillo, y’all. We’ve used it before, remember? It tastes like a giant raisin that has been soaked in hot sauce. Sweet, fruity, and a spicy kick, it adds just the perfect amount of OMG yes please! to this drink.
Think of hot cider with red hots candy melting in it. Yeah, there ya go.
I can drink hard liquor but I prefer girlie drinks and wine. This sangria is the perfect mix and something everyone (over the age of 21) can enjoy. Adjust the liquor up or down to your preference but remember, you won’t be able to get the full flavor until it sits overnight.
If you’re having a party I’d suggest making this beforehand so you can taste it and decide if you need to adjust it. If you taste it when you first make it you’ll think you have too much booze in it. Trust me, it mellows out a lot!
If you have some left, and that’s a BIG if, it will keep quite awhile in the fridge… I think… I’ve never had any last very long, come to think of it. The stuff always disappears long before it’s gone bad.
White Sangria FAQs
Recipe rated: very easy
How do you make sangria with white wine?
It’s basically the same method that you use with red wine. Add your desired fruit and spirits then let it stand overnight in the refrigerator for the full flavor to develop. Be careful about adding berries and stone fruits – they tend to disintegrate and make the sangria look cloudy.
What kind of white wine is good for sangria?
Crisp wines are usually best since sugar and fruit are added. I used a sweeter wine, Riesling, in this apple cider sangria recipe because it has such a great apple flavor. Chardonnay would work as well. Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc are the usual choices for white sangria.
How do you make a good white wine sangria?
Choose your fruit carefully.
- Apples and pears are good choices.
- You can use pineapple or berries if you add the fruit in just before serving.
- Then choose your spirits to go with the flavor of your sangria – peach schnapps, pineapple vodka, or a caramel vodka to go with this apple sangria.
- Give it time to mellow – overnight is best.
- Finally, add some sparkle with club soda, ginger ale, or lemon lime soda just before serving and serve cold.
Cook’s Notes for Apple Cider Sangria
This is delicious the way it is but there are some amazing variations, too.
- Use caramel vodka to make it a caramel apple sangria
- Substitute pears for apples
- Add cinnamon candies
- Add white cranberry juice and cranberries
- Freeze sprigs of rosemary in ice – it makes it very pretty
- Add some star anise if you like the flavor
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? A brand new store full of things to help you make the recipes, celebrate the days, and create the memories! Check out Restless Chipotle & Co. As always, thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
I love a pretty sangria set to serve sangria with!
More Great Cocktails from Restless Chipotle
I love a good cocktail! Here are some of my favorites!
- Tropical Pineapple Sangria
- Classic Red Sangria
- Cranberry Moscow Mule
- Chocolate Peppermint Martini
- Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate
If you’ve got some low carbers on your guest list you might like this low carb mulled wine recipe from Lowcarb-ology, my other blog.
Apple Cider Sangria Recipe
This is perfect for one of those unusually warm late September afternoons when everything is golden. A friend, a porch swing, and a pitcher of this is perfection! If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars.
Apple Cider Sangria
- 1 750 ml bottle of white wine like Riesling
- 1 750 ml bottle of Pinot Grigio
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1 cup spiced rum
- 1/4 cup Hot Damn! Cinnamon Schnapps
- 1/4 cup Green Apple Vodka
- 4 Honey Crisp or Granny Smith apples , cored and sliced
- 4 3- inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 Guijillo Chile
- 1 liter bottles of Club Soda or ginger ale.
- 1/4 cup sugar syrup if needed
- Tie the cloves and allspice in a cheesecloth bag.
- Add all ingredients (including the cheese cloth) except the club soda and sugar syrup to a large container.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the cheesecloth and the chile.
- Taste and add sugar syrup if you want it sweeter.
- Add the club soda just before serving.
- Serve garnished with the apple slices.