This week's meal plan includes some great ideas for food and drinks to serve on Super Bowl Sunday.
What's in season in February?
February produce is still limited. Depending on what part of the country you are from you may start seeing more greens like beet greens, turnip greens and such since farmers will be starting to thin their plantings.
You should be able to easily find the following produce at your local farmer's market.
- Citrus - especially grapefruit
- Brussels sprouts
- Celery root
- Pomegranate - add a few seeds to the top of a salad for color and flavor.
- Winter squash
💭 Tips for success
Here are some tips for this week -
- Double some of the recipes and freeze half. Find out how to meal prep for freezing.
- Make a simple garlic butter by stirring together 1 cup softened butter, 1 tablespoon garlic salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste), and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Let stand for 15 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- The beef barbacoa can be used for amazing burrito bowls. Add cooked rice to a bowl and then top with the barbacoa, black beans, onions, peppers, salsa, guacamole, cheese, and sour cream.
- Grab different types of the bagged salads for quick side dishes. They usually come with a unique mixture of ingredients that take salads up a notch.
- Save some of the biscuits and make biscuits and southern cream gravy for breakfast one day.
- Remember to prep as many of your ingredients at once as you can. Chop all the onions for the week, chop the celery for the week, etc.
- Move the days around as you need to. Don't forget there are more meal plans here.
Sunday February 7 is the Super Bowl. While many of us will not be hosting a large gathering it's still fun to have snacks and drinks. Here are some ideas -
- Crispy oven baked wings with a spicy sweet bourbon glaze
- Easy empanadas with a cream chicken filling
- Spicy honey butter chicken biscuits that totally beat Whataburger's.
- Jalapeno popper dip is creamy and a little spicy.
- Homemade onion dip is a classic - but I've taken it up a notch with caramelized onions.
- And if you're looking for drinks to serve on game day there are plenty in the drinks section.
Spaghetti & Meatballs
These slow cooker meatballs are SO easy & tender! Just shape them and put them right into the crock pot raw. They simmer all day in marinara - and you have meatballs for dinner! Make double or triple. They freeze well and you'll need some for later in the week.
I love this quick & easy 30 minute baguette. Make garlic butter as directed in tips and serve it at the table OR spread on the slices and broil for a minute or two. Make extra loaves - you'll need them later in the week.
Strawberry Angel Food Cake
This easy, no bake Angel Food Cake dessert is super fast to make since it starts with a purchased angel food cake! Raspberries work well in this, too.
Chicken & Noodles
Chicken & Noodles is a quick bowl of country comfort. When you are poaching the chicken breast make extra to save time later in the week. Serve with a side salad.
These southern yeast biscuits are quick to make, like regular biscuits but rise high and light like a roll. Mix up some softened butter with a few teaspoons of honey and a pinch of cinnamon to serve with them. YUM!
Candy Apple Pie
Candy apple pie tastes like old fashioned candied apples! Apples are simmered in Red Hots syrup before being added to a buttery, flaky crust. Use a purchased crust to save time if you wish.
Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
Beef barbacoa is slow cooked until it falls apart. Use it in tacos today with your favorite toppings today and freeze some for some other meal.
This black-eyed pea salad is best made a day ahead of time so it has time to soak up the marinade.
Quadruple Chip Cookies
The ultimate chocolate chip cookie! 4 kinds of chips, pecans, and toffee make these irresistible! I like to make a dozen then drop the rest of the dough by teaspoonfuls on a baking sheet and freeze to bake when I want.
Remember the meatballs and baguettes we saved from Friday? Enjoy an almost instant dinner by using them for meatball sandwiches. Add Mozzarella to the tops and broil a few minutes just to melt.
Chocolate Upside Down Cake
Chocolate Upside Down Cake is an old, old recipe that saves time because the frosting is baked right on the cake!
King Ranch Chicken
Today you'll use the leftover chicken you saved from Saturday to make this simple King Ranch Chicken casserole. It's crazy that so much flavor can be SO easy. A salad with tortilla chips broken up into it is a delicious side.
Hatch Chile Cheese Bread
Hatch Chile Cheese Bread makes great sandwiches, too!
Mango Ice Cream
No churn needed for this easy mango tango ice cream!
Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
The beef gets SO tender in this vintage Swiss Steak recipe! It's simple to put together and it just slow cooks all day until your house smells unbelievably good!
Today is National Cream Cheese Brownie Day and what better way to celebrate than these Pecan Praline Cheesecake Brownies?
Smothered chicken is a delicious southern dish that you can make right in the skillet! Creamy gravy, tender chicken... It's the best!
Buttermilk Dinner Rolls
These are homemade brown n serve rolls. I'll show you how to make a batch and freeze to brown and serve as needed. Plus the are super light and delish!
Lemon Cream Cake
This easy lemon sheet cake has an amazing, lighter-than-air whipped lemon frosting.
Get the Book!
Enjoy 30 quick weeknight dinner recipes!
I've tried to add all of the ingredients called for but I suggest you go over the recipes before you finish your grocery list just to double check that you have everything.
- ground beef
- lean beef roast
- round steak
- chicken breast
- red peppers
- green peppers
- Hatch chiles (or jalapeno or poblano)
- red onions
- dried chipotle pepper
- dried mulatto pepper
- dried guijillo pepper
- frozen peas
- canned black eyed peas
- diced tomatoes
- Ro*Tel tomatoes and chiles
- chipotle in adobo sauce
- canned chiles
- chicken stock
- beef stock
- cream of chicken
- cream of celery
- Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning (link in the recipe)
- garlic salt
- garlic powder
- active dry yeast
- all-purpose flour
- bread flour
- instant lemon pudding
- baking soda
- baking powder
- butter flavoring
- butterscotch chips
- milk chocolate chips
- white chocolate chips
- bittersweet chocolate chips
- chocolate chips
- toffee pieces
- brown sugar
- confectioner's sugar
- evaporated milk
- sweetened condensed milk (eagle brand)
- lemon juice
- canned mango slices
- favorite taco toppings
- elbow macaroni
- wide egg noodles
- potato flakes
- Panko bread crumbs
- Italian bread crumbs
- grated Parmesan (the shelf stable kind in the green container)
- Smoked cheddar
- cream cheese
- heavy cream
- sour cream
- pie crust if you aren't going to make one homemade
- corn tortillas
- apple juice
- worcestershire sauce
- salad olives
- Red Hots candy
- lime or lemon sandwich cookies (or vanilla Oreos)
- angel food cake from bakery