Wondering what to serve with hamburgers that will make the whole family excited for dinnertime?
Need more ideas for a cookout spread? From iconic, classic sides to quick and easy ones, we’ll discuss all of the options that are sure to make burger night a hit!
Table of Contents
❤️ Why we love it
- Classic American comfort food with so much flavor
- Both hamburgers and delicious sides can be made without an oven
- A good burger is versatile and easy to pair with simple ingredients
Perfect side dishes don’t have to be complicated! Sometimes all you need is a simple recipe with great flavors—thankfully, this post is loaded with awesome ideas!
You'll definitely want to try this Lipton Onion Burger recipe, too.
🥦 Vegetable Sides
There’s nothing like a crisp vegetable dish served alongside a juicy burger. Whether you’re searching for healthy sides or, well, not so health-focused dishes, here are some great options.
- Sweet potato fries
- Cucumber salad
- Quinoa salad
- Sweet corn
- Sweet potatoes
- Black bean dip
- Cucumber tomato salad
- Southern green beans
- Baked zucchini chips
- Frito Salad
- Fresh corn on the cob
- Crunchy cole slaw
- Fresh veggie tray and dip
- Maple roasted carrots
- Guacamole and chips
- Grilled veggie kebabs
- Creamed spinach
🥖 Other Sides
Some people say the best part about a burger is all the yummy sides that go with it! These easy side dishes will make a great addition to your dinner or cookout!
- Classic French fries
- Pasta salad
- Crispy fried potatoes
- Onion rings
- Fruit salad
- Dr Pepper baked beans
- Potato wedges
- Tortilla chips and salsa
- Classic potato salad
- Tater tots
- Macaroni salad
- Watermelon salad
- Grilled pineapple
- Baked potatoes
After a satisfying, yet simple meal, treat your taste buds to dessert! These sweets make a classic pairing with your main meal.
- Southern pineapple casserole
- Boston cream pie
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Lemon meringue pie
- Homemade fudge
- Ice cream with Red Velvet fudge sauce
- Pig Pickin’ cake
- Fruit “pizza”
🍷 Wine and cocktails
Wash down each bite of savory burger with something a little more fun than soda. Any of these beverages would make the perfect choice!
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Tropical pineapple sangria
- Rum and Coke cocktail
- Electric lemonade cocktail
- Vodka strawberry lemonade
- Peach Whiskey Mule
When planning out what to serve with your hamburgers, don’t forget the garnish. It might not seem like a main ingredient, but trust me—these items are still essential to a great burger!
- Tomato slices
- Pickled onions
- Candied jalapeños
- Cheese (we like American, Cheddar, Pepper-Jack, and Swiss)
- Sautéed mushrooms and onions
- Red onion or sweet onion slices
- Jezebel sauce, or other favorite dipping sauce
And, don’t forget the buns!
💭 Things to know
Even the best sides can’t save an underwhelming main dish. No matter what type of hamburger you’re making, use these tips to make it the best!
- Don’t overwork the meat or your burgers will be tough.
- Taste the meat for seasoning before forming the burgers. Pinch off a piece of beef and brown it in a sauté pan. Taste and adjust, if needed!
- Making hamburgers is a great way to use up leftover meat! You can use a blend of ground beef, turkey, pork, chicken, or venison. Throw in whatever you have!
- You can prevent your burgers from shrinking too much by using a beef blend with less fat. I prefer 90/10 for a good balance.
- If you want to make sure all of your burgers are the same size, weigh each patty on a kitchen scale.
- Burgers always puff up in the middle? Before placing them on the grill, use your thumbs to gently indent the center of each patty.
- The best way to check burgers for doneness is with a meat thermometer. At 145 degrees F they’re considered rare, and 165 degrees F is well-done!
- No grill? No problem! Place burgers on an oven-safe rack over a baking sheet and cook them in the oven. Or, use a stovetop grill pan.
- Prep your burger patties ahead of time for busy weeknights. Store the uncooked burgers in an airtight container, refrigerating according to the “use by” date on the meat packaging.
- Good news: you can freeze cooked or uncooked burger patties for up to three months! Wrap them well to avoid freezer burn.
These side dishes also go with...
Hamburger sides are versatile, so they go well with a variety of other easy recipes.
- Hamburger Steaks are made with tender beef (just like burgers!) and smothered in a thick, rich gravy you’ll want to eat by the spoonful.
- Flavorful, juicy, and just like Mom used to make, Old-Fashioned Meatloaf has that homestyle taste that goes great with burger sides.
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches are super easy to make (hello, Crockpot!) and packed with beefy flavor!
These side dishes DO NOT go with...
Delicious side dishes, but not as great of a pairing with these mains. Save them for another time!
- Ground Beef Mexican Casserole is a complete meal in one dish, and great for prepping ahead! No sides necessary.
- Cowboy Casserole is packed with flavor and only takes about fifteen minutes to prep. Serve with chips or guac and dinner is done!
What is your favorite thing to serve with burgers? Leave a comment below and let us know!