It's the last full week of May and we're celebrating all the fresh goodness with a focus on strawberries! Now is the time for big bowls of chilled salads and easy meals that give you time to enjoy the great outdoors.
I hope you enjoy this week's meal plan and it's a help to you! You'll find more ideas in the meal plan category.
🫑 What's in Season?
A better question might be, "what isn't in season?"
Everything is ripening and coming into the Farmers' Markets now. It's fresh, in season, and at it's best. Make the most of these fresh flavors.
- Bell pepper
- Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- Green beans & Wax beans
- Zucchini and yellow squash
💭 Tips for success
- You'll use biscuits several times this week. If you're making them homemade go ahead and make a triple batch.
- The spicy honey butter for the chicken sliders is delicious on all kinds of things - plus the chicken biscuits make a great grab and go breakfast, too!
- Leftover meatloaf? Make sandwiches with it using the chile cheese bread. SO good. The pot roast is good like this, too.
- Macaroni salad and potato salad can be made 3 days ahead of time.
- Save some of the cinnamon gelato and make ice cream sandwiches using the butter pecan cookies.
- The holy cow cake needs to be made at least the night before. You can save all kinds of time by getting an unfrosted chocolate cake from the bakery department (you might have to ask for it) and using that as a starting place.
- Have leftover chocolate cake? Use it instead of the pound or angel food cake called for in the punch bowl cake.
- Keep in mind that the leftover macaroni salad and potato salad make great lunches!
🍹This week's cocktail
I wanted to start adding a weekly cocktail to make things a little more fun.
Brazilian Iced Coffee Cocktail
Rich, creamy, and refreshing - if you like iced coffee you'll love this rum laced Brazilian iced coffee cocktail!
Chicken Biscuit Sliders
Chicken biscuit sliders with spicy honey butter are quick and easy when you start with frozen chicken tenders and ready made biscuit dough!
My mom's potato salad recipe was a classic - everyone loved it. I make it just like she did - and it's still the best.
Strawberries and Cream Tart
Easy-peasy strawberries and cream tart is the perfect way to celebrate National Strawberries and Cream Day!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
So buttery tender! Slow cooker pot roast is served on a bed of creamy jalapeno cheese grits.
I admit to being a little addicted to fried cabbage with bacon! It simmers slowly sweet, smoky perfection.
Homemade vanilla pudding is nothing like the kind that starts in a box! Creamy and rich - you could use it as a pie filling, too.
Monterey Chicken Casserole
Comfort food with Tex-Mex flavor! Monterey chicken casserole is creamy, cheesy, and family friendly. Serve it with a crisp salad or some summer ripe tomatoes, sliced and salted.
Multigrain Flaxseed Bread
Make this hearty multigrain flaxseed bread into dinner rolls if you want - just bake them for 15 minutes or so.
Strawberry Punch Bowl Cake
You've got to love this no bake, simple strawberry dessert! Strawberry punch bowl cake is made with layers of cake, ripe berries, and cream. It's at it's best this time of year when berries are in season!
Smoked Sausage Alfredo Skillet
If you're looking for a quick, easy dinner I've got your back with this easy smoked sausage Alfredo skillet. It's done in 15 minutes!
Hatch Chile Cheese Bread
I love this spicy hatch chile cheese bread for sandwiches but it's also great right out of the oven with melty butter!
Butter Pecan Cookies
My mom loved butter pecan anything and I created these cookies for her a long time ago!
Old Fashioned Meatloaf
Tender and delicious! Old fashioned meatloaf has a tangy glaze baked right on.
Southern Green Beans & Potatoes
Slow simmered green beans and potatoes with bacon is a southern classic.
Easy Fried Pies
These are the easiest fried pies! Make extra biscuit dough when you make the biscuits above or buy the kind in the refrigerated section and fill with your favorite fillings.
Italian Beef Sandwich
Italian beef is slow cooked for hours until it falls apart then stuff it in crispy hoagie rolls and top with peppers and Provolone.
Creamy macaroni salad with extra green olives! It's my favorite recipe and I bet you love it, too!
Holy Cow Cake
How do I explain this Holy Cow cake? Chocolate cake is soaked in a combination of Eagle Brand and caramel syrup then topped with crushed Butterfingers, then the whole thing is covered with whipped cream
📚Easy Weeknight Dinners!
Who doesn't need more easy, weeknight dinner recipes? Check out these 30 family friendly, budget friendly family dinners that are freezable, make-ahead, and can be on the table in minutes.