Brazilian Iced Coffee is a creamy, sweet coffee cocktail that’s sure to cool you off on the hottest August evenings. Espresso is shaken with sweetened condensed milk and a generous pour of dark rum then a little coconut rum is added just to give it that South American vibe.
For this recipe you’ll need: coconut rum, dark rum, espresso beans, sweetened condensed milk (I use Eagle Brand), cinnamon
I was never an iced coffee lover. Nope. I would happily sit out on the front port with a cup of hot coffee and watch the world go by. Iced coffee just never seemed to have …
A few years back I attended a press conference (that makes me sound good, doesn’t it?) for the release of a new summer bar menu for a Brazilian themed restaurant. They served Brazillian iced coffee only it was nothing like any iced coffee I’d had before. It was sweet, creamy, refreshing, and tasted like summer evenings in the Caribbean.
I was hooked.
While this recipe isn’t an exact duplicate it is my adaption. I’ve refined it and mixed and stirred, and sipped until it is just about perfect. If you’ve ever lived with a perfectionist you know nothing is ever all the way perfect, right?
This iced coffee cocktail has dark rum for flavor and just a touch of coconut rum to balance it out and give it a little tropical zing. The sweetened condensed milk adds sweetness and a creamy consistency that I couldn’t replicate with anything else. Adding a little espresso dust mixed with cinnamon to the rim of the glass means that every time you take a sip you get great dark coffee flavor.
I’m telling y’all – this is a winner!
How to Make Iced Coffee
The best way to make iced coffee is to get some old fashioned ice cube trays and fill them with coffee to make coffee ice cubes. Then, when you want to make iced coffee just fill a heatproof container with the coffee ice, add hot coffee and in a few minutes you’ll have your iced coffee and can proceed with the recipe. Don’t use glass for this because it could shatter.
Since we’re making this with espresso it doesn’t take much ice to chill it right down. If you don’t have espresso go ahead and make your regular coffee but double strength. Or just start with a good cold brew.
How to Make Cold Brew Coffee
Want to know how to make cold brew coffee so you can have a batch ready to go anytime you want one of these Brazilian Iced Coffees?
SO stupid simple.
- You’ll want a quart of water to about 3/4 cup coarsely ground coffee – the coarser the better.
- Stir the ground coffee into the water.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Strain the mixture through a filter into a clean jar or pitcher.
- If you have a French Press you can do the whole thing right in your press.
- You are now ready to make any kind of iced coffee drink you want. You should really start with this one, though!
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
If you like cold brew you should go ahead and invest in a French Press. They range in price but you can get a good one for under $50. I love mine!
More Summer Cocktail Recipes from Restless Chipotle
Can you ever have too many summer cocktail recipes? I don’t think so. Here are some of my favorites!
- Alabama Slammer– Bright red and fruity. Think “Hawaiian Punch”
- Tropical Pineapple Sangria –A light, refreshing sangria with the sweetness of pineapple.
- Durango Cocktail – Cousin to a Paloma, I like this better.
- Peach Tequila Sour – Sweet peach and spicy chiles- this one is unique AND delicious.
- Frozen Banana Daiquiri – OMG you have to see how cute this is!
- Texas Mule – Just plain addictive, that’s all.
- Sex in the Driveway – Bright blue – I’m not making any guarantees as far as your personal life goes.
- Key Lime Pie Margarita – Drink your dessert!
Brazilian Iced Coffee Cocktail Recipe
Keep a batch of cold brew in your refrigerator all summer long so you can have one of these whenever you want – I’d suggest that hushed, quiet moment when the grandkids go home and the house is silent… OR that amazing moment when ALL of the kids are finally in bed, asleep.
Or any other moment, really.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars. Thanks!
Brazilian Coffee Cocktail
- ¼ cup espresso , chilled
- 3 ounces dark rum
- 1 ounce coconut rum
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk plus a tablespoon for the rims
- coffee ice cubes , freeze cold coffee in ice cube trays
- 2 tablespoons ground espresso beans for the rims of the glasses
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place 1 tablespoon of the sweetened condensed milk on a saucer.
- Place the ground espresso and cinnamon on another saucer - mix well.
- Dip the rims of the glasses into the sweetened condensed milk then roll in the ground espresso beans.
- Set aside.
- Combine the espresso, both rums, remaining sweetened condensed milk, and the coffee ice cubes in a shaker.
- Shake well.
- Divide the cocktail between the two glasses.
- Add more coffee ice cubes as needed.