These molasses crinkles cookies are full of old fashioned goodness. There is something about a chewy, sweet, and spicy molasses cookie with an ice cold glass of milk that makes the entire world a better place.
Or coffee. I can do this with coffee, too. Give me a rainy day... some rumbly thunder... rain pattering against the glass... and a book. I can tell you where I will be if at all possible — on my window seat with a plate of these cookies.
You must use an unsulphured molasses or else you are going to get that strong, mineral taste that puts most people off. Don't over cook them. They are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, and that's the way they are supposed to be. This is a cookie recipe to add to your go to list because they keep well, they freeze well, and they are absolutely out of this world amazing.
One of the things that I like to do is to sandwich some cream cheese buttercream or vanilla ice cream between two cookies...
Molasses Crinkles Cookies Recipe
Give these chewy cookies a try - and if you like them please consider giving them a 5 star rating.
Old Fashioned Molasses CrinklesPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger, ( I use a full teaspoon)
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable shortening at room temperature
- ½ stick, (¼ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup grandmas molasses, (NOT black strap or barbados!)
- Turbinado or granulated sugar for sugaring tops of cookies
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and salt in a bowl until combined.
- Beat together shortening, butter, and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a stand mixer (preferably fitted with paddle attachment) or 6 minutes with a handheld.
- Add egg and molasses, beating until combined.
- Reduce speed to low, then mix in flour mixture until combined.
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll 1 heaping teaspoon of dough into a 1-inch ball with wet hands, then dip 1 end of ball in sugar. Make more cookies in same manner, arranging them, sugared side up, 2 inches apart on 2 ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake cookies, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until undersides are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes total, then cool on sheets 1 minute.
- Transfer to racks to cool completely.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.
IF YOU LIKED THESE MOLASSES CRINKLES COOKIES YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
Quadruple Chip Cookies, Molasses Peanut Butter Cookies, Red Velvet Rolled Cookies