Table of Contents
Hearty stuffed pepper soup has all of the flavor of your favorite stuffed Bell peppers recipe but it’s so much quicker and easier that you can make it on a busy weeknight! You know – one of those days when one kid has karate, the other has ballet, and you ended up with a flat tire so you’re running late, too. Peppers, onions, ground beef, rice, and tomatoes simmer in a savory broth that makes the whole house smell like Grandma’s kitchen! It’s almost like a stew so it’s perfect for filling up a hungry family without putting too much pressure on your budget. I’ve added instructions for making it in your crockpot or slow cooker as well. This recipe was updated from the No
For this recipe you’ll need: beef stock, rice, ground beef, garlic powder, olive oil, salt, pepper, onion, Bell pepper, red Bell pepper, garlic, canned diced tomatoes, Ro*Tel tomatoes with chiles, tomato sauce, chicken stock, brown sugar
Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup Backstory
Stuffed peppers have always been a favorite of mine.
My mom lived through the Depression and her idea of a stuffed pepper was about 1/4 cup of ground beef to about two cups of rice – sometimes even less beef. The thing is that with the right amount of seasonings stuffed peppers are really good with just a little meat – great for those times when the grocery budget is stretched thin.
I love that!
What I don’t love is the time and preparation — especially when I am in a hurry. For those times there is this hearty stuffed pepper soup that has all of the flavor and nutrition but without the prep and cooking time.
Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe FAQs
Recipe level: easy
What is stuffed pepper soup?
Stuffed pepper soup is made from all of the ingredients that go into your Mom’s favorite stuffed pepper recipe but in soup form. It’s a bowl of steaming comfort on a winter day!
What’s the best rice to use for stuffed pepper casserole or soup?
Any basic long grain white rice works well for this recipe. Jasmine or Basamati rice generally has too much of it’s own flavor to work well.
How do you make the best stuffed peppers?
Allowing the rice time to soak up the other flavors in the stuffed peppers soup is what really makes this dish amazing. It’s one of those that’s better the second day – although you’ll have to add more liquid because the rice will have soaked up all the broth.
Can you freeze this soup recipe?
You can! Just let the finished soup cool to room temperature then put it in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup Cook’s Notes
If you have leftovers the rice is going to make the soup thicken up a lot. It’s great that way but if you don’t want it thick then you can either add the rice to each soup bowl when serving (instead of adding it in to the pot) or you can thin it down with a little V-8 juice when you warm it up. The downside to just putting the rice in bowls is that it doesn’t soak up the soup flavors.I really love the use of V-8 in this to thin it back down.
- You can use V-8 for part of the beef OR chicken broth for a more tomato-y flavor.
- The Ro*Tel makes this a little spicy, which I like. You can substitute a 14-oz can of diced tomatoes for the Ro*Tel.
- Substitute stewed tomatoes for the diced for a little sweeter flavor.
- Use fire roasted tomatoes.
- Add chopped cilantro.
- Cooking the rice in broth helps it have more flavor – omit this step if using a slow cooker.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? A brand new store full of things to help you make the recipes, celebrate the days, and create the memories! Check out Restless Chipotle & Co. As always, thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
This stuffed pepper soup is so easy in a slow cooker and the newer ones have such helpful features like blue tooth, automatic warming, and more! With this “multi” cooker you can brown the beef right in the cooker then set it to slow cook ALL IN THE SAME POT!
More Great Soup Recipes from Restless Chipotle
I love soup all year long but when it is rainy and chilly? Well, there is nothing like a big ole bowl of soup to warm you up and get you feeling good! I like putting it in the kids lunches in thermoses to keep it warm, too. Here are some of my favorites from here on Restless Chipotle –
- Mexican Street Corn Soup
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Spicy Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
- Smoky Black Eyed Pea Soup
- Easy Potato Soup
On a keto diet? You might also like this low carb stuffed bell pepper soup recipe from Lowcarb-ology, my low carb blog.
Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
This soup is one of my favorites! Tangy, sweet, hearty – it’s got all of the flavors that I love! Just add a batch of these homemade saltine crackers and it’s the perfect meal! If you like this recipe please give it 5 stars, thanks!
Stuffed Pepper SoupPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, , divided use
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 chopped green Bell pepper
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Ro*Tel tomatoes with chiles
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, , optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the beef stock to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, turn the heat to low, and cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is done.
- Meanwhile, add a tablespoon of the olive oil to a large saute pan.
- Heat it up then add the ground beef and garlic powder, plus a little salt to season the beef.
- Cook until done.
- Remove the cooked beef from the pan and add the remaining olive oil.
- Heat the oil until it shimmers then add the onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and garlic.
- Saute until soft.
- Add the ground beef, the pepper mixture, the tomatoes, Ro*Tel, tomato sauce, chicken stock, and brown sugar to a large saucepan.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Cook the ground beef.
- Add the beef and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.