Enjoy this spicy lentil soup recipe but don’t tell your family that it’s chock full of nutrients! Budget friendly and vegan, lentil soup is yummy comfort food with a kick from chipotle. Lime adds a zap of bright flavor. Easy to make and easy on the budget!
For this recipe you’ll need: dried lentils, chipotle pepper, celery stalk, carrots, onion, garlic, tomato puree, adobo sauce, canola oil, fresh parsley, lime juiceJump to Recipe
Variety is the spice of life so once in awhile I’ll invite a blogger whose work I particularly like to guest post here on Restless Chipotle. I think y’all are going to love the warm flavors of this spicy lentil soup recipe that Sujatha Muralidhar brings to us today!
Hi everybody, I’m Sujatha Muralidhar, did masters in commerce and have a food blog at pepperbowl.com. I’m a full-time food blogger sharing healthy and spicy recipes around the world – you can take a look at the Pepperbowl recipe index. I love to cook various cuisine’s best yet simple recipes in my kitchen in Pennsylvania. Here I should mention that I have a strong quality control team(my husband and my son) and recipes in my blog get published only after passing through their critical tests.
I’m a huge fan of Marye and her simple authentic Southern recipes. When I was provided with an opportunity to do guest blogging, I was super excited to get featured on one of my favorite adorable food blogs.
Today I want to share with you all, a simple, easier to make, fulfilling food that is great for this weather. Though it is officially spring, it is still cold in here. And I thought it would be perfect to share the how to make lentil soup, a protein rich wholesome food. Can be served with baked tortilla chips.
I tasted this recipe in one of my friend’s home and became addictive to this vegan lentil soup as it is tasty and also healthy. After that, we make often in my home as fulfills my spicy palette and also my dieting regime. It is a bliss to have wonderful cooks as your friends. And it is a double bonus if they share their food with its culture. And I feel I’m blessed in that way. And this chipotle lentil soup is one such recipe which I love the most.
Tips for Making Homemade Chipotle Lentil Soup
This is an easy recipe but these great cooking tips will make it even easier!
- You may also use the hand blender to make the spicy lentil soup silky in texture.
- To get the soup in coarse texture, use the wooden ladle to mash the lentils.
- For garnishing, reserve 1/4 cup of cooked lentils.
- Garnishing can also be done with chopped fresh cilantro leaves or a blob of sour cream or some tortilla strips.
- Vegetable broth can be substituted for water in this recipe.
- Using the pressure cooker or Instant pot cuts the cooking time in half.
- You may also add other vegetables while cooking the lentils to make it more nutritious.
- The leftover can be refrigerated and can be used later.
Spicy Lentil Soup Recipe
Spring is full of chilly, rainy weather! Give this lentil soup recipe a try and see if it isn’t a bite of sunshine!
Chipotle lentil soup
- 1 cup Lentils
- 2 Celery stalks
- 1 cup Carrots ,diced
- 1/4 cup Onion , chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic , chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon Adobo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 Chipotle pepper , seeded minced
- 1/4 Cup Parsley , chopped
- 2 teaspoons Lime juice
- 5 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- In a heavy bottomed pot, add canola oil followed by chopped onion.
- In medium flame, cook it until it becomes tender by stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, cook it until garlic slightly discolors.
- Add finely chopped chipotle and adobo sauce.
- Add tomato puree and continue to stir for another minute.
- Now add lentil, cubed celery stalks, cubed carrots, salt, and water.
- Bring the soup to boil, and simmer the flame.
- Cover and cook it for about 40 mins. Do check and stir in between.
- Use a wooden ladle to mash the lentils to coarse texture.
- Add lime juice, chopped fresh parsley.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl. Top it with a blob of sour cream(optional) and serve.
- Can be served warm or at room temperature along with tortilla chips or strips.