This slow cooked shredded beef simmers all day long in an ancho infused red eye gravy like you've never tasted before. After 7 hours in the crockpot the beef is shredded and cooks for awhile longer to soak up even more of the gravy flavor.
This post was written by me through an activation with HireInfluence on behalf of Community Coffee. Although I received compensation for participating in the campaign, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
We are at the very edge of football season which means tailgating parties, game day parties, and lots of yelling at the TV. In Texas football is second only to religion - and that's iffy. I've known pastors to cut sermons short on the Sundays that the Cowboys were playing.
So, I don't know how it is where you are but tailgating parties have been perfected here. Grills, smokers, ice chests, and folding chairs are all lugged to whichever stadium the big game is being played in. Some people get there super early in the morning to get things started and by game time it's just one big party.
Personally I prefer staying home and watching the game from here. I am not a people person and have an aversion to crowds and large, loud parties.
Either way, great food is one of the game day requirements. The easier it is, the better. This slow cooked shredded beef is super easy and very, very yummy. Totally guy approved.
A seasoned rump roast is browned in a heavy skillet then removed from the pan. Hot coffee is added to the hot pan along with some honey and a little lime juice. As you stir that together you scrape up any crust from the meat that might be clinging to the bottom of the pan.
Congratulations. You've just made Red Eye Gravy, a southern staple. It's usually served with ham and sometimes chicken. I love it for this slow cooked shredded beef, though! The acids in the coffee tenderize the beef as well as add a unique flavor. It's SO good, y'all.
Once you've made the gravy it's a matter of blending in re-hydrated ancho chiles, adding everything to your slow cooker and setting it on low for 8 hours. The shredded meat is delicious on slider or hamburger buns, hoagie rolls, or tortillas.
Obviously with a recipe that's this simple the ingredients matter. Well, they always matter but when there's just a few things like in this slow cooked shredded beef they REALLY matter. I used Community Coffee's Dark Roast coffee and made it double strength. I wanted to have a nice kick of coffee flavor in the meat. If the coffee isn't flavorful the meat won't be either.
Community Coffee Company has also created a Tailgate Traditions Recipe Booklet. It features five game day recipes using Community® coffee. Recipes include Southwestern Snack Mix, Dark Roast Coffee Pork Sliders, Cajun Spice-Rubbed Chicken Wings, Coffee-Basted Cheeseburgers and Browned Butter Pecan Cookies.
Community coffee is available for purchase at grocery stores throughout the Southeast region of the United States. If you can't find it locally you can get it at CommunityCoffee.com. You can also follow them on Facebook and Twitter
Slow Cooked Beef with Red Eye GravyPrint Save Go to Collections
- 3 ancho chiles
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other high smoke point oil
- 3 pounds rump roast
- 2-½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-½ teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons Dark Roast Community Coffee, or 1-½ cups brewed double strength, ground
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 in fresh limes, cut 4 wedges each
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Remove the seeds and stems from the ancho chiles and rinse.
- Add the chiles to a bowl and cover with 1 cup simmering water.
- Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the avocado oil in a heavy skillet. Cast iron is best.
- While the oil is heating trim any hard fat and silver skin from the roast with a sharp knife.
- Mix the salt, garlic powder, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Rub the seasoning mixture over all surfaces of the meat.
- Brown the meat on all sides in the hot oil.
- Remove from the pan.
- Quickly add 1 cup of the coffee into the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape up anything sticking to the pan.
- Turn the heat off and add the remaining ½ cup of coffee, honey, and lime juice.
- Let the pan sit for a few minutes.
- Drain the water from the ancho chiles. They should be very soft.
- Rinse them quickly and add to a blender container with the coffee mixture.
- Pulse until smooth - the mixture will be very thick. Almost like a paste.
- Add the sliced onion to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Place the browned meat on top of it.
- Spoon the ancho-coffee sauce over the meat, using the spoon to cover it completely.
- Cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving use two forks to shred the meat, mixing it into the gravy that has formed.
- Cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Serve on slider buns or warm tortillas with a wedge of lime to squeeze over the top.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.
If you liked this slow cooked shredded beef recipe you may also like...
Shredded Pork Tacos with Mango Salsa
I've never had red-eye gravy, but from your description, I think I'd love it. Not to mention slow cooked beef - always a crowd pleaser. I must try this - just hope I can do justice to this time-honored gravy.
Of course you can! It's easy.. AND yummy. 😉