Slow cooker white chicken chili is a big bowl of creamy goodness on a cold, icky day. It’s filled with corn, chicken, white beans, and other yummy things then simmered in a creamy, rich sauce that will have your family licking their plates. This easy chili recipe is just spicy enough for the adults while not being too spicy for the kids – it’s sure to be a family favorite!
For this recipe you’ll need: chicken breasts, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, chicken stock, canned green chiles, corn, white cannellini beans, onions, butter, half and half cream, cream cheese, sour cream, cilantro, Pepper Jack or Mexican blend cheese
- White Chili Is Comfort Food
- How to Cook White Chicken Chili on the Stove – 3o Minutes
- Tips and Tricks for Creamy Chicken Chili
- Variations on Creamy Chicken Chili Recipe
- More Slow Cooker Recipes from Restless Chipotle
- You May Need
- Best Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Slow Cooker White Chili
- If you liked this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili recipe you might also like…
White Chili Is Comfort Food
The only thing better than chili is chili that you cook in a slow cooker… right?
The thing is that, even though I love my chili recipes, I do get tired of the red chili all the time. When I started seeing recipes for slow cooker white chicken chili I have to admit that my interest was piqued. And by piqued I mean I was drooling.
When it’s cold then I like chili. Since I work in my kitchen a lot it is awesome to smell the slow cooker all day long, knowing that something yummy is going to get spooned out of it at night. Plus it saves money on those big scented candles I love. Am I right?
The kids loved this slow cooker white chicken chili as much as I did! I used my homemade chili powder to give it big flavor but you can use what you like. Cumin is one of my favorite flavors so if you’re not a fan you might want to dial that back a little, too. I ladled the chili into bowls, sprinkled it with Shredded Pepper Jack cheese, and we were ready to eat. You can use cheddar or Mexican blend cheese if you like.
How to Cook White Chicken Chili on the Stove – 3o Minutes
If you’re in a hurry to get dinner on the table and you forgot to start the slow cooker all is not lost! Here’s an easy way to cook this recipe on top of the stove. I don’t think the flavor is quite as good but it’s still better than any takeout you can think of! This will take just about 30 minutes.
Add the chicken breast to a heavy, 4-quart stockpot.
Turn the heat to medium.
Add chicken stock and cook the chicken until tender – it takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
Shred chicken with two forks and then it add back to the stock.
Add the remaining vegetables and seasonings and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking mix the cream sauce ingredients according to the recipe below.
- Add it to the chicken mixture.
Simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve.
Tips and Tricks for Creamy Chicken Chili
This recipe is fine for a beginning cook. It’s rated very easy.
How do you keep the cheese from gumming up on the spoon?
Someone on the blog was asking how to keep the cheese from gumming up on the spoon – there are a couple of ways to do it. First, if you are adding it to the sauce melt it slowly into the cream before adding it to the chili. Whisk it smooth. The other thing, and the one I prefer, is just to add the shredded cheese to the top of each bowl before serving. I think it keeps the flavor more intense.
However you like to do it –give this a try. It’s on my favorites list now.
Storing the Chili
If you’ve got leftovers don’t worry. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to a week or you can freeze for longer storage. The frozen chili may get just a touch watery but it will be fine when you’ve heated it up.
Variations on Creamy Chicken Chili Recipe
There are a lot of ways you can tailor this white chili recipe to your own tastes. Here are some of my favorites.
- Use leftover turkey instead of chicken. I love making this chili right after Thanksgiving! I get so tired of turkey leftovers but this easy recipe hides the fact that there are leftovers in it!
- Use Cheddar cheese in place of the Pepper Jack. This gives the chili a little more color but some people prefer the sharper flavor.
- Substitute white hominy kernels for the corn. I love hominy so sometimes I add it instead of the corn.
- Add diced green and red Bell peppers. This adds flavor without adding too much heat if your family doesn’t care for spicy foods.
- Add diced jalapeno. If your family is like mine and likes MORE spice then add jalapeno to taste.
- Crumble tortilla chips on top. I like the crunchy texture and salty flavor that tortilla chips bring to this recipe. Just crumble a handful on top before serving.
- Serve over fritos. This is one of my favorite twists on Frito pie!
More Slow Cooker Recipes from Restless Chipotle
I love slow cooker recipes for back to school! Here are some of my past favorites.
- Honey Garlic Meatballs
- Beef Tips and Gravy
- Beef and Noodles
- Pot Roast with Jalapeno Cheese Grits
- Slow Cooker Steak Sandwiches
- Tequila and Lime Chicken Tacos
You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
. If you need a slow cooker consider this Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker on Amazon. It’s the one I bought for one of my military kids a couple of years ago and I really like it. You can program it so that your food is ready when you are – makes it even easier than a regular slow cooker!
Best Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Recipe
This is so good! I love when fall comes around because it means I’ll probably be eating this a lot! If you liked this white chicken chili recipe please give it 5 stars!
Slow Cooker White Chili
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups corn (white is preferred)
- 2 -15.5 ounce cans white Cannellini beans , drained
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Half and Half Cream (light cream)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro , if desired
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Pepper-Jack cheese
- Place chicken breasts in the crockpot.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, chicken broth, green chiles, corn and beans.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- An hour before serving heat the butter,half and half, cream cheese, and sour cream in a saucepan, whisking until smooth.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker with two forks.
- Add to chicken mixture in the slow cooker and cook on low for about 1 more hour.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and Pepper Jack to serve.
- Use leftover turkey instead of chicken
- Use Cheddar cheese in place of the Pepper Jack
- Substitute white hominy kernels for the corn
- Add diced green and red Bell peppers
- Add diced jalapeno
- Crumble tortilla chips on top
- Serve over fritos
If you liked this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili recipe you might also like…
From left to right: Slow cooker Italian beef sandwiches, Slow cooker meatball sandwiches, Slow cooker shredded pork tacos with mango salsa
Still looking? Check out these recipes from some of my favorite blogs!
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Skinny Mom
Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken Spend with Pennies