When I was little I could have cared less about Prince Charming - it was all about the coach and the horses for me. I dreamed of the day when I would arrive somewhere in a coach pulled by sleek, black horses and emerge to admiration and...
Well the fantasy always stopped there.
Decorating for a theme party requires imagination and a lot of it. Maybe because I am such a perfectionist I go overboard but to me everything in a theme party should go with the theme from the colors to the serving dishes. A princess party just would not be complete without a coach - and what better way to create a coach than with a boule and a dip?
This is easy and it really was a huge hit. So cute.
What you'll need -
- Your favorite dip recipe - make sure that it is a thick dip so it doesn't soak through the bread. There are several on Restless Chipotle that will work - I will link to them below.
- 1 Sourdough round bread boule - unsliced
- 6 slices of white bread
- 4 toothpicks
- Yarn or string
- Plastic horses
How to do it -
- The night before you will serve the dip slice a thin layer off of the top of the boule.
- Pull out the bread, leaving a 1 inch thick wall.
- Save the bread for breadcrumbs or whatever.
- Allow the boule to stand uncovered overnight - this helps the soft bread inside to get a little crusty and it won't soak up so much dip when you fill it.
- Shortly before serving toast 4 pieces of bread.
- Carefully cut a large circle out of each for the wheels.
- Toast the other 2 pieces of bread and cut out 2 small circles from each for the hubs.
- Place the hollow boule on a platter.
- Place a small circle on a large circle of toast and push a toothpick through the circles and attach them to the boule for wheels.
- Place the horses at the "front" of the carriage.
- Tie string around the horses and attach the ends to each side of the coach with toothpicks.
- Add the dip to the hollowed out center.
- Add parsley, chives, edible flowers or whatever you like as garnish.
That's it. It really is that easy - and so cute.
Here are some dip recipes that are easy, delicious, and will work perfectly in this boule.
What a fab idea. Love it, thank you!