You know that you do not want to be stuck in the kitchen New Years Eve OR New Years Day. I don’t. I want to spend time bonding with fifty of my closest friends and a bottle of expensive champagne. O.k. ten of my closest friends and a Dr. Pepper – but let’s not get picky, o.k.?
Probably the hardest thing about hosting a New Year’s Eve Party is deciding on the appetizers you want to serve. You want something that says you have taste but will not stain your carpet when someone has imbibed just a bit too much.
Love bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches? Yep so do I. And this dip has definitely got the flavor. A big plus is that it is quick and easy, you can make it a day ahead of time, and it won’t cost you an entire month’s pay to create. Most of us will have the ingredients on hand – or most of them.
I’d serve this with sliced baguettes, brushed with butter and toasted. Chips are another great possibility, or even crudites. Keep the dip refrigerated until you are setting food out for the party. If it is warm in your house you may want to set the bowl in a bowl of ice to keep the dip cold since there is mayo in the recipe.
I like to hollow out a head of lettuce and use the shell to hold the dip, it just looks pretty to me that way. Use a cup or so of the lettuce you have pulled out of the core and chop it up to mix into the dip and give it added texture.
The Ro*tel add the tomato flavor you want (after all, what’s a BLT without tomato?) but also add a nice little kick from the chilies. You can use plain diced tomatoes in this if you want. I would not use fresh this time of year (winter), at least not in the Northern Hemisphere, because they are out of season and they will taste like plastic and be way over priced.
I betcha this disappears really fast. Before your guests arrive. ;D
Spicy BLT Dip – Fast and Fabulous!Print Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 10 oz can Ro*tel tomatoes, , drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 pound bacon, , cooked until crisp and then crumbled into small pieces
- 1 head of lettuce
- Cracked black pepper
- Cut the head of lettuce and hollow it out to make a bowl.
- Chop the lettuce you took out of the "bowl" finely and set aside.
- Mix the mayo, sour cream, crumbled bacon, drained Ro*tel, and 1 cup of the chopped lettuce.
- Taste and then add salt and several grinds of cracked black pepper as needed.
- Spoon into the lettuce bowl and refrigerate until serving.
- Serve with baguette slices, crudites, chips, or a spoon!