This deep fried Oreos recipe results in warm, chocolaty, oozy packages of goodness just like you get at the Texas State Fair and they are much easier than you think! The batter gets crispy, the chocolate cookie gets soft, and the creamy filling oozes out in every bite. Knowing how to make deep fried Oreos means you can indulge in that great fair food anytime you want!
For this recipe you’ll need: egg, milk, butter, vanilla, pancake mix, Double Stuff Oreos, peanut oil or other oil for frying, sugar crystals
Deep fried Oreos are one of those Texas State Fair foods that you can make at home if you start craving before the fair is even on the horizon. Just about now, the first of summer, I start thinking about the food at the fair in September. Sometimes I think about it way too much.
I made them as part of an assignment for a magazine client in an article on State Fair food and I thought I’d add the recipe here in case you were interested. When I asked on Facebook some of you were like, “YES!” and others were like, “ICK” so if you were in the “ICK” group you can move along to something you like better… like… my version of Berger Cookies.
These are not in any way, shape, or form anything that could be called healthy. They are grease and sugar held together with cholesterol and calories.
Eaten every day they are going to cause a problem but on an occasional basis they’re fine. We had a fry day here this past weekend. I knew I had to do the frying for this article so my daughter and son-in-law and the grandkids came over to help us pig out on State Fair food. Everyone was suspicious of the Oreos at first but once they ate one they were hooked.
It’s one of those things you have to eat just as they come out of the fryer, though. You can’t save them for later.
I’ll be honest. I go to the state fair for the food and the beer/wine tasting. I want to try everything, even if it does sound weird. I keep thinking I want to have a State Fair themed party one of these days, with potato sack races and lemonade and lots of fried food. It seems like it would be a lot of fun to plan as well as to attend.
Tips for Deep Fried Oreos
This fried Oreos recipe could not be easier, y’all… but here are a few tips to ensure your complete success!
- I use peanut oil because it fries cleaner than most other oils and makes things light and crispy. If you have peanut allergies to deal with then any light vegetable oil is fine.
- Be sure to clean your fryer and replace the oil often. Rancid oil will make your fried foods taste gross.
- Try all of the Oreo variations to see which are your favorite. I’m a classic gal, myself.
- Use powdered sugar instead of sugar crystals to dust them after they’re fried if you like.
- Keep small kids and pets out of the kitchen while you are frying – the hot oil can really injure you, your kiddo, or your pet if you stumble over someone in a crowded space.
- Beware… knowing how to make deep fried Oreos means that you’ll be harassed constantly by family and friends to serve them at every movie night and pool party!
If you are going to make these I’d suggest making them in small batches unless you are entertaining and you have a ton of people. It’s a fun recipe but the cookies are rich and you really can’t eat all that many.
More Oreos Recipes
We’re big Oreos fans around here. Open a package and they evaporate in seconds – if you’re looking for more ways to get that chocolaty goodness give these recipes a try –
- Easy Banana Bread with Oreos
- Peanut Butter Oreo Cheesecake
- Dark Chocolate Mint Oreo Chunk Ice Cream
- Mint Oreo Cookies and Cream Bark
You can also make a great, no bake chocolate crumb crust with them!
You May Need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
People have been making deep fried foods in a pot on the stove for centuries but personally I prefer an electric deep fryer. It holds the temperature steadier and I am always aware of sudden drops or spikes in the temperature of the oil. This is the one I use –
Homemade Deep Fried Oreos Recipe
These fried Oreos are addictive, y’all. Once you try them and see how easy they are you’ll totally be hooked. If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars. 🙂
Deep Fried Oreos Just Like the State Fair
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 10 ounces package Double Stuff Oreos
- Peanut oil for deep frying
- Sugar crystals for rolling the warm cookies in
- Preheat the oil in the fryer to 375F.
- Mix the egg, milk, butter, vanilla, and pancake mix until smooth.
- Dip a cookie in the batter, covering it completely.
- Carefully slip it into the preheated oil.
- Fry until golden on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Roll in sugar, Confectioner's sugar, or sugar and cinnamon.