This make ahead breakfast bowl is healthy but don't tell the family. Made with healthy finger foods it looks more like a snack than a meal. Fresh fruit, granola, yogurt, and hard boiled egg come together to create a balanced breakfast that you can put together ahead of time. Feel free to vary the fruit according to the season!
Make Ahead Breakfast Bowl Backstory
First of all, you should probably know a couple of things about me.
- I don't like breakfast unless it's a nice brunch at a REALLY nice restaurant.
- I like eating with my fingers.
I think that's why I don't like most breakfast foods - I mean, who wants to eat oatmeal with their fingers?
When my husband and I were in France my favorite meals were the cheese plates that I ate pretty much every morning for breakfast. There'd be a few (wedges or slices or scoops...) of local cheese, a baguette slice, some fruit, some meat... and it was all perfectly arranged finger food.
I was in Heaven.
My kids have inherited a variety of my weird quirks but most of them like this type of meal. I like that you can make it ahead of time, that it's healthy and well balanced, and it's certainly quick and east to put together. Plus?
It's all finger food.
Breakfast Bowls: Healthy Ideas for Busy Mornings
I wanted to make sure there was a little of everything in here: Protein, dairy, fruit, grain... and I wanted it to be totally finger food. I'd say if you have toddlers be careful of how the different foods are cut - grapes should be cut in half or quarters, for example.
It's an easy make ahead meal that you can put together in the evening and the kids can grab for themselves the next morning. Here are some variations on this healthy breakfast bowl!
- Add deli meat and cheese. Use either slices or lay a slice of cheese over a slice of meat and roll it up. A couple of these add protein and they're fun to eat.
- Vary the fruit with the season. In the fall go for apples and pears, in winter use oranges and dried figs, in spring use berries, and in the summer use peaches and plums. It really doesn't matter - use what your child (or you!) likes the best.
- I like adding a handful of granola. It's a nice texture change as well as adding fiber and flavor.
- A boiled egg, sliced, is less intimidating than a whole egg - plus it adds color and makes the whole breakfast bowl prettier.
- A dollop of yogurt adds a creamy texture and is a tangy contrast to the sweetness of the fruit.
Obviously you can have other types of breakfast bowls but again, I love this because it's super fast and easy and I can make it ahead of time. Plus if someone doesn't have time to eat all their breakfast I can wrap it and refrigerate it for a snack later on.
It's a total win, y'all.
You May Need...
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? A brand new store full of things to help you make the recipes, celebrate the days, and create the memories! Check out Restless Chipotle & Co. As always, thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
If you love the idea of breakfast bowls ( I know I do!) then check out this breakfast bowl cookbook with recipes and ideas for every week of the year!
More Quick Breakfast Ideas
Weekdays are hectic enough without getting crazy about breakfast! Here are some quick breakfast ideas as well as make ahead recipes.
My mouth's watering over this Papaya Breakfast Bowl from Bowl Me Over!
Easy Breakfast Bowl Recipe
Ok, this isn't so much a recipe as it is an idea for putting this make ahead breakfast bowl together. Use your favorite fruits for variety! Love this? Give it 5 stars!
Make Ahead Breakfast BowlPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 strawberry
- 5 grapes
- ⅓ cup blackberries, , or blackberry, blueberries, and raspberries
- 1 egg, hard boiled and sliced
- ¼ cup granola
- ¼ cup unsweetened yogurt
- honey to drizzle
- Arrange all ingredients in a shallow bowl or on a plate.
- Be sure to cut fruit in small pieces if you have toddlers.
- Drizzle honey over the top.
- May wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight. If you are making ahead don't put the granola on until serving time - it will get soggy.