If you’re in the mood for some real homemade comfort food, then you’ve come to the right place!
Table of Contents
🗝️ Key takeaways
This ground beef noodle casserole is loaded with beefy flavor, tender egg noodles that are generously coated in a creamy sauce, and then topped off with gooey melted cheddar cheese.
It’s mouth-watering good!! Definitely worthy to be a family favorite.
- This creamy casserole recipe uses pantry staple ingredients - you probably have most in your pantry and refrigerator already!
- I love this for a cozy Fall weekend or a busy weeknight when I'm in the mood for a hearty meal.
- Like most casseroles, this great recipe can be made in advance - perfect when preparing for the busy holiday season or as a back-up meal when you are expecting a busy week.
Try this cheesy cowboy spaghetti next time!
There are plenty of ways to change this hamburger noodle casserole up!
- Use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Use any pasta you prefer; spaghetti noodles, elbow macaroni, ziti, penne...
- Add hot sauce to the wet ingredients.
- Stir in a cup of sour cream for an extra creamy texture.
- Add a pinch of cayenne or chipotle powder to kick things up.
- Sliced jalapeños are great sauteed with the onions.
- Add in a can of chopped chiles.
- Add bell peppers. I like to use a colorful bell pepper mix.
- Use sharp Cheddar cheese, American, or plain Monterey Jack cheese.
- We love it with crispy fried onions baked right on top.
- To increase the texture and body of your casserole, consider adding some frozen peas, corn, and chopped carrots into the noodle mixture. It’s a sneaky way to get the kids to eat their veggies!
You'll find the full instructions in the green recipe card below.
- Saute the onion and brown ground beef in a skillet till the onion is translucent and the meat is browned.
- Blend the wet ingredients with garlic powder in a bowl, whisking till smooth.
- Stir the cooked noodles, beef and creamy sauce in the same bowl.
- Bake the assembled casserole with sprinkled cheese on top for 20 minutes at 350℉, garnishing the casserole with chopped green onions before serving.
To make in advance
- Assemble ground beef casserole according to instructions but don't add the shredded cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- When ready to back just remove the plastic wrap, add the cheese to the top, and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350℉.
I think that this recipe is better the second day!
Hamburger noodle casserole can be refrigerated for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container or in the casserole dish, covered with plastic wrap.
You can also freeze this casserole for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat in the oven till warm throughout.
💭 Things to know
Expert Tip: Use a more lean ground beef in this recipe for the best results. 90/10 or even 95/5... 80/20 tends to make it a little greasy.
- I always prefer using freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese from a block of cheese than pre-shredded cheese which contains anti-caking agents for an extended shelf life. The freshly shredded cheese tastes so much better and also melts beautifully.
- While I’ve used Jack Pepper cheese as the cheese topping for this casserole, feel free to use another cheese. I don’t suggest something mild like mozzarella cheese for this hamburger casserole, though.
- Since the egg noodles will cook for an additional 20 minutes in the oven in the casserole I recommend that you cook them al dente before adding them to the casserole mixture. That way they won't get mushy.
- If you make this hamburger casserole ahead of time you may find the noodle mixture soaks up more cheesy sauce while in storage. If so, just add a little additional sauce or even a splash of milk, in the hamburger casserole mixture before topping the casserole with cheese for baking in the oven.
Here are the questions I am most frequently asked about this recipe.
Yes, you can! You can assemble it up to 3 days ahead of time, leaving the cheese off, and refrigerate. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
Egg noodles will usually take 8-10 minutes to cook in boiling water. Don't overcook because they'll continue to cook in the oven.
📚 Related recipes
We love this one pot Philly cheesesteak pasta recipe!
- If you've got leftover pulled pork then this hearty pulled pork mac & cheese is the best way to use it.
- Cheesy taco stuffed shells is a delicious spin on two family favorite recipes.
- Million dollar spaghetti really does taste like a million bucks!
- French onion ground beef casserole is similar to this recipe but with beefy French onion flavor.
🍽️ Serve with...
This hamburger casserole recipe is serious comfort food that will leave you completely satisfied but you've gotta have side dishes, right?
Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just the family then consider these -
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries are easy to make and get crispy in the oven. A great change from regular fries.
- Smothered green beans are another great side for this recipe.
- Quick Dinner Rolls are made, start to finish, in 30 minutes! Hot rolls on the table!
- Creamy KFC Coleslaw just like your favorite side from the Colonel himself!
- Homemade Garlic Knot Rolls are full of garlicky goodness!
These side dish ideas for baked ziti also work with this easy noodle casserole.
📞 The last word
I've heard this called Amish Country Casserole, hamburger noodle casserole, and ground beef and noodles. This isn't fancy food, and it's not spicy.
It's one of those easy dinner recipes you come back to time and time again.
It's just plain comfort food - the kind that you come home to after one of those days when everything has gone wrong, you got drenched in an unexpected downpour, and it's one of those chilly evenings where you forgot your coat.
And all you want is warmth and comfort.
Try this easy chicken and noodles next. You'll be so glad you did.
If you click on the number of servings in the recipe card you can adjust the measurements up or down for the exact number of servings you need.
If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Hamburger Noodle CasserolePrint Pin Recipe Save Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups onion, diced - 1 large
- 10.75 ounces cream of tomato soup, undiluted
- 10.75 ounces cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 ounces egg noodles, cooked
- ½ cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, if desired
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat the oven to 350°f. Spray a 13x9 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook noodles and drain. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute until it starts to soften.
- Add the beef and cook until no longer pink and the onion is translucent.
- Remove from heat and drain the fat. Set aside.
- Add the evaporated milk, cream of tomato soup, cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire, and garlic powder to a large bowl.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Stir in the ground beef mixture and the cooked noodles.
- Spoon into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the shredded cheese on the top.
- Bake at 350°f for 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions before serving if desired.
- Use a lean ground beef in this recipe for the best results.
- Grate the cheese from a block for best results.
- Don't overcook noodles.
- If you make this hamburger casserole ahead of time you may find the noodle mixture soaks up more cheesy sauce while in storage. Just add a little additional sauce or even a splash of milk, in the hamburger casserole mixture before topping the casserole with cheese for baking in the oven.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
First published November 9, 2021. Last updated October 10, 2023 for editorial corrections and additional information.