If you love lime and cilantro this easy chimichurri sauce recipe is going to be one of your favorites! While truly authentic chimichurri is made with parsley and no cilantro, this twisted Texas version has all of that southwestern flavor that goes so well will a perfectly grilled steak!
For this recipe you'll need: cilantro, flat leaf parsley, fresh oregano, jalapeno, red onion, garlic, lime, red wine vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, kosher salt, pepper
"Real", authentic chimichurri sauce is made with all parsley - and I do love it, but theres a special place in my heart for this "Texanized" version of cilantro chimichurri sauce recipe with lime. There's nothing that complements a smokey steak fresh off the grill better than this addictive condiment.
Actually, in my house I'm not sure it's a condiment - it may be more of a side dish.
So I was at a restaurant a month or so ago and ordered my steak with chimichurri sauce. The green ooblek that was on the side of the plate was nothing like my homemade chimichurri. It looked like baby food.
Chimichurri should be kind of chunky - roughly chopped. It should be spicy and have a lingering, tangy bite. The reason it's absolutely SO amazing on a great steak is that the fat from the steak and the tang from the sauce create magic in your mouth.
So good. You'll see.
Chimichurri Sauce FAQ's
Experience: Beginner - super easy
Chimichurri is increasingly popular in the United States. I mean, it's found it's way onto the menus of chain restaurants - a sure sign that it's here to stay. It's super easy to make - but here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this spicy, tangy green sauce.
What is Argentinian chimichurri sauce?
It's a garlicky condiment that is traditionally spooned over Argentinian barbecue. It's sometimes used as a marinade as well.
What is chimichurri like?
Good chimichurri is spicy and in some ways similar to a salsa verde but the flavor is fresher, more herbal, and tangier.
Is chimichurri sauce spicy?
Traditional chimichurri is very spicy. You can adjust the amount of heat in this recipe by adjusting the amount of jalapeno and red pepper that you add.
How long does chimichurri keep in the fridge?
Keep it in a Mason jar, tightly covered, for 2 to 3 weeks.
Can you freeze fresh chimichurri?
You sure can. Just freeze it in freezer containers and defrost as needed.
How to Use this Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
You'll find that chimichurri sauce is very versatile and there are tons of ways to use it. Here are some of my favorites:
- On grilled meat and poultry of all kinds. I've also heard it was good on salmon.
- Mix into mayonnaise for a yummy sandwich spread.
- Use it as a marinade for chicken breast before grilling or breading.
- Mix it with softened butter and toast it on baguette slices like garlic butter.
- Add it to boiled baby potatoes with butter.
- Toss vegetables in it before or after roasting.
- Stir into pasta salads.
- Spoon over warmed cream cheese for a dip.
- Stir into sour cream for a dip.
That's probably only a fraction of the ways this yummy Argentinian condiment can be used!
More Homemade Condiments on Restless Chipotle
Adding spreads, sauces, pickles, relishes, jams, and jellies to foods just makes them more interesting - gives them that extra pop. Here are some of my favorites.
- Jezebel Sauce - a southern classic
- Candied Jalapenos - sweet and spicy
- Strawberry Margarita Jam - unbelievably good
- Strawberry Butter - just like Neiman Marcus
- Dry Rub - use it for steaks, chops... whatever
- Chipotle Aoli - add's a little smoky spice to burgers and sandwiches
- Cantaloupe Jelly - so easy to make and unique, too
- Onion Bacon Jam - sweet, salty, smoky and yummy on burgers
- Dried Fig Jam - try some on crackers with cream cheese
- Copycat French's Crispy Onions - just like the kind you buy in the store but maybe even better
You May Need...
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
Making this homemade chimichurri is so much easier when you’ve got a food processor. If you are in the market for one check this out –
This mini food processor is great for things like sauces and small food chores. I love this one –
Homemade Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
Homemade is almost always better! This chimichurri sauce recipe with cilantro and lime is SO good that I honestly can stand at the counter and eat it with a spoon. I hope you like it as much as I do! If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars.
Cilantro and Lime ChimichurriPrint Save Saved!
- 1 ¼ cup cilantro, , packed
- ¾ cup flat leaf parsley, , packed
- ¼ cup fresh oregano, , packed - you can substitute 1 tablespoon dried oregano but it's not as good
- 1 jalapeno pepper, , seeded and chopped - more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons red onion, , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, , chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, , more to taste
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¾ cup olive oil, , the good stuff
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Pulse cilantro, parsley, oregano, jalapeno, onion, garlic, lime juice, vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a food processor until finely chopped but not pureed.
- Scrape mixture into a bowl.
- Stir in olive oil and lime zest until well blended.
- Let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour before using. This allows the flavors to blend and soften.
- Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition information is estimated as a courtesy. If using for medical purposes, please verify information using your own nutritional calculator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.