This tangy, moist strawberry cream cheese pound cake recipe is dense and delicious with a velvety texture. It is firm enough to use in stacked cakes like wedding cakes but easy enough to make anytime. A secret ingredient gives it its unique flavor and vibrant color.
My eldest daughter’s best friend got married a earlier this month and she had asked me to make the cake. I don’t make wedding cakes often and usually just for family and close friends. They are time intensive and I charge a crazy high amount for other people. Anyway, after discussing various flavor combos she decided on strawberry with ganache filling. I was cool with that.
I was cool with that until I realized that there is no strawberry pound cake recipe that I know of that would stand up to the rigors of wedding cake — being stacked, being transported and hour and a half, etc. I thought about it for days and just before I was about to tell her we had to go with a vanilla cream cheese poundcake I got an idea.
Why not try strawberry Kool Aid?
I made a test cake, using my favorite pound cake recipe and adding the Kool Aid. It came out perfectly! The color was a little intense but very pretty but best of all, one of the people who tasted the test cake said, “I can tell you used fresh berries in this!”
It just doesn’t get better than that. The cake held up perfectly and tasted delicious.
So, this cake has nary a fresh strawberry in it but the flavor and texture are unbeatable. This has opened up an entire world of possibilities to me, which no-doubt you’ll be seeing on the blog in the weeks to come. Be careful not to over mix the batter or you’ll run the risk of the cake being tough. This is baked in a slow oven for a long time but the resulting cake will knock your socks off.
The following is an affiliate link. If you click and buy something I’ll get a small commission which is used to maintain the blog. Thanks for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
A heavy bundt pan makes all the difference in cakes like this. It keeps the outside from browning to badly and helps it cook evenly. This classic Nordic Ware pan is awesome and it comes in a couple of different designs… Best of all, it will last forever!
Tangy Strawberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 1 cup of unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 ounces of cream cheese room temperature
- 3 cups of sugar
- 6 eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 packets strawberry Kool Aid the kind you add sugar to.
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Grease a bundt pan thoroughly and then dust with flour.
- Pour out excess flour.
- Set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter on the lowest speed of the mixer until well blended.
- Add the sugar and continue to beat until blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing each in thoroughly before adding the next one.
- Add the Kool Aid mix, vanilla, and the sour cream and blend.
- Add the flour and salt.
- Mix just until blended and smooth.
- Spoon into bundt pan and smooth top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in halfway between the edge and the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Remove from pan and drizzle with a glaze or let cool and dust with confectioner's sugar.
- Cool completely before slicing.
If you liked this Strawberry Cream Cheese Pound Cake recipe you may also like…
Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake Chef in Training
Caramel Pound Cake Southern Bite
This recipe is part of the Favorite Summer Potluck Recipes Roundup at Tidy Mom