Cinco de Mayo is kind of a big deal here in the Dallas area and there is no better way to celebrate than with this Margarita pound cake recipe. Classic tequila and lime combine with a slightly salty crust for all of the flavor of your favorite GNO cocktail.
Pound cake. You know you love it. Dense, moist, velvety... it's incredible stuff due to the high fat content which intensifies the flavor as well as creating that perfect texture.
I kind of try not to get all caught up in the hoopla of seasonal blogging. You know what I mean, right? Every October first almost every single food blog posts pumpkin recipes, November first it's sweet potatoes, December first it's cookies... you get the idea. No judgement from me, I just don't want to get lost in the crowd.
But there's sometimes when a recipe is so special, so amazing, and so perfectly timed that I just have to post it. This is that recipe.
Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of Mexican independence from Spain. Since Texas has a large hispanic population, plus has roots in Mexican culture it is one of those celebrations that we take seriously. Besides, it's a great excuse to make margaritas -- ha! As if we needed an excuse.
This cake has all of that flavor. There's lime and tequila in the batter and then I dusted the inside of the cake pan with ground pretzels for a bit of salty perfection in every bite. I used a recipe I pulled out of Southern Living magazine about a hundred years ago as the foundation for this.
It keeps well and you can wrap it tightly and freeze it for up to three months, if you like.
Margarita Pound Cake RecipePrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1 cup of salted butter, , room temperature
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, , room temperature
- 3 cups of sugar
- 6 eggs, , room temperature
- 3 cups of flour
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of tequila
- ¼ cup of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- ½ cup pretzel crumbs
- 1 ¼ cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- Pinch of vanilla salt, , optional
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Grease a bundt pan thoroughly and then shake the pretzel crumbs in it to coat.
- Pour out excess crumbs.
- Set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter on the lowest speed of the mixer until well blended.
- Add the sugar and continue to beat until blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing each in thoroughly before adding the next one.
- Add the flour, salt, lime zest, tequila, and juice.
- Mix just until blended and smooth.
- Spoon into bundt pan and smooth top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in halfway between the edge and the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Remove from pan and drizzle the glaze over the top.
- Sprinkle with vanilla salt crystals if desired.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- Mix the confectioner's, lime, and tequila until it is smooth.
- Drizzle over the cake while still warm.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.
If you like this Margarita Pound Cake Recipe you may also like...
Tagalong Pound Cake I Wash You Dry
Strawberry Swirl Pound Cake The Kitchen Paper