Recipes for snickerdoodles cookies without cream of tartar are hard to find. You see, the cream of tartar is what adds that tangy aftertaste to the finished cookies. Usually I have cream of tartar on the spice rack but this past weekend I had a sudden inspiration for snickerdoodles and, alas, I had no cream of tartar and I did not want to go to the store. I decided to try them with baking powder just to see what happened.
What happened was this – snickerdoodles cookies without cream of tartar are a little different in flavor and texture but they are really, really good. They were chewy in the middle and crisp on the edges – just the way I like them.
The flavor is warm and complex – there’s a lot going on when you are eating these. Here’s why.
I used brown butter to give them that rich, nutty flavor and then to enhance that flavor even more I added chopped pecans. I used roasted cinnamon, my newest addiction, to give the spice a deeper flavor and I enhanced the cinnamon’s spicy nature with a pinch of smoky chipotle powder. If you haven’t tried it yet you won’t believe the difference it makes. Click on that link and you can get some for yourself on Amazon plus I get a commission. How’s that for win-win?
I tied those flavors altogether and mellowed them out with a splash of Baileys Irish Cream. Sounds awesome, doesn’t it?
It was. My friend and partner in crime tasted one and commented that she would pick these over chocolate chips. She’d pick these over chocolate chip cookies, people, do you understand what that means? Do you get that?
They were good.
After the dough chilled and I rolled the dough in the cinnamon mixture I pushed a half pecan in the center and then flattened it with a glass. To some extent this will determine the thickness of your cookies so be aware of how hard your are pushing the glass down. If you use baking soda/cream of tartar they will be thicker and a little cakier than if you use baking powder. If you cook them longer they will be crisper than if you take them out of the oven earlier. Just experiment a little to see what you like – these were taken out at about eight and a half minutes.
The dough can be shaped into balls, rolled in the cinnamon mixture and frozen on cookie sheets. Once frozen just drop the unbaked cookies into freezer bags and you can bake cookies anytime. The dough will freeze well for three months or so.
If you don’t want to use Baileys you can just substitute 1 teaspoon of vanilla and leave the Bailey’s out.
Bailey’s Brown Butter Snickerdoodles Cookies without Cream of TartarPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, (or 2 teaspoons cream of tartar and 1 teaspoon baking soda)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 '2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons roasted cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed vanilla salt, , optional
- 36 pecan halves
- Melt the butter over medium heat whisking constantly until it bubbles and turns a medium golden brown. Set aside to cool
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar and brown sugar into the cooled melted butter.
- Beat in the eggs and Bailey's, mixing until smooth.
- Mix in the flour mixture and pecans.
- Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes or a couple of hours in the refrigerator.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla salt together on a plate.
Assemble and Bake
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Roll tablespoon sized scoops of cookie dough into balls.
- Drop the balls into the sugar mixture and roll to cover with sugar.
- Place on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Press half a pecan in the top of each.
- Press down with the bottom of a juice glass dipped in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden and still slightly soft in the middle.
Sign up for the emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam. Pinkie swear.
If you like Bailey’s Brown Butter Snickerdoodles Cookies without Cream of Tartar you may also like. . .
Old Fashioned Molasses Crinkles Restless Chipotle
Spiced Rum Snickerdoodles Restless Chipotle
Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodles Yellow Bliss Road
Chocolate Snickerdoodles Baked Bree