Cheesy twist on the classic, this smoked sausage shepherds pie is quick and easy. Sausage, peppers, onions, and green beans are smothered in a cheese sauce and topped with a thick crust of mashed potatoes. This is sure to be a family favorite! “This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Hillshire Farm, but all my opinions are my own.
For this recipe you’ll need: Hillshire Farm smoked sausage, onion, sweet peppers, celery, potatoes, green beans, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, flour, butter, milk, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, mustard powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder,
When I think of comfort food shepherds pie is always one of the first dishes that comes to mind. Creamy gravy, seasoned meat, mounds of fluffy mashed potatoes? Yes please! Who could possibly resist all of that?
When I was asked to create a quick, family recipe that included Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage I knew it was going to be a smoked sausage shepherds pie for sure. It’s been a recipe I’ve been playing with for a while and I was glad to have the impetus to really work at it. I made a few notes and headed to the meat department at Kroger to pick up the smoked sausage and other things I needed.
There are times when I take a lot of time to make dinner but there are other times when … you know… life happens. The beauty of this recipe is you can cut some corners when you are in a hurry. Kroger has some chopped onions and peppers in the freezer section, for example, that will cut the prep time down a lot. Homemade cheese sauce is the best as far as I’m concerned but in a pinch you can use condensed cream of celery soup and mix the shredded cheese into it. You can also pick up mashed potatoes in the deli section and cut time that way.
Even if you don’t cut any corners this simple Hillshire Farm smoke sausage recipe is only going to take about a half hour.
I love recipes like this — the ones that taste like you worked on them for hours but in reality you threw it together in minutes. You can assemble it ahead of time and keep it tightly covered in the fridge for a day or two before baking and serving. I’m telling ya’ this is one of those recipes that you’ll go back to again and again. You’ll find more Hillshire Farm smoked sausage recipes on the Hillshire Farm website.
More Great Recipes from Restless Chipotle
If you’re anything like me you’re always looking for more easy recipes to add to the recipe box! Here are some of my favorites!
- Cheeseburger Macaroni
- Mac and Cheese Pulled Pork
- Shepherd’s Pie with Leftover Pot Roast
- Beef and Noodles
- Chicken and Noodles
Smoked Sausage Shepherd’s Pie
Smoked Sausage Shepherds Pie
- 1 pound Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 14- ounce cans green beans drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Grease a casserole dish, add the sliced sausage, and set it aside.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender
- Mash with the 1 cup hot milk and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy sauce pan.
- Add the onion, peppers, and celery and saute until soft and caramelized on the edges.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and spoon over the sausage.
- Cover with the green beans.
- Set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and melt it over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour, garlic, paprika, and mustard -- stirring for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the milk, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Simmer for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cream cheese and cheddar and whisk until smooth.