When you want comfort food but you don’t have a lot of time this skillet Amish chicken casserole recipe comes to the rescue! Tender pieces of chicken breast, noodles, mushrooms, and other vegetables are blanketed with a creamy sauce. Everything cooks right in the skillet in about 30 minutes or less.
For this recipe you’ll need: medium egg noodles, butter, chicken stock, milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper, chicken breast, mushrooms, celery, onion, parsley, Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning, parsley
If you are in a hurry click here to go straight to the skillet Amish chicken casserole recipe.
I love comfort food and casseroles all year long but in the summer sometimes I just can’t bear to turn on the oven. When it’s over 100F I sure don’t need the kitchen to compete with the outside! I wondered if I could adjust one of my favorite recipes to work on top of the stove.
This skillet Amish chicken casserole works great on top of the stove and it’s finished in around a half hour. Everything cooks right in the skillet so you don’t have a lot of cleanup either. After all, who wants to spend time cleaning up when summer is in full swing?
:::looks around the house. Notices all the clutter.::::::
Obviously not me!
Last night we went to Six Flags. We’ve got season passes for both Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor but this summer has been SO very busy that we just hadn’t had a chance to go. One son is leaving on a 10 day missions trip to Kenya tomorrow and another is leaving on a 5 day missions trip to San Antonio on Monday. I’ve been invited to the Austin Westin next week to check out all the cool stuff there is to do and talk to the chef of Stella! about his cooking style. Y’all stay tuned to the Restless Chipotle Facebook page because that’s were the live coverage will be.
Anyway, June was taken up with the kids going to youth camp and then a week later heading for their dad’s. As I said, this summer has been out of control. I figure we’ll have about a month of family time before school starts.
There’s no way I want to spend a lot of time cooking. I want to be in the hot tub, at the water park, at Six Flags, at the movies, and just hanging out with them. We grill a lot when my husband is home but he works odd hours sometimes and gets home well after dinner is over with. Those days are the ones where we like easy meals like this skillet Amish chicken casserole.
Since the noodles cook right in the sauce they help thicken it up without the need for extra flour. I’ve seasoned the chicken with Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning because I like a bite of heat to balance out the creamy sauce. It might not be traditional but it is really good. Really, really good.
The following are affiliate links. If you click through and buy something I will get a small commission used for keeping the blog up and running smoothly. Thank you for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
The seasoning I use, Tony Chachere’s, is good in so many different recipes. I think you’ll love it as much as I do. When it comes to skillets cast iron is the way to go. Properly taken care of they’ll last forever and you can use them on top of the stove or in the oven or on a grill! I used a 12-inch Lodge cast iron skillet for this recipe.
Skillet Amish Chicken Casserole
- Peanut oil for the skillet or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken stock plus more as needed
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut in small pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the raw chicken breast and toss in a bowl with the Tony Chachere's until the chicken is well coated with the seasoning.
- Heat the oil in the skillet until it is very hot.
- Add the chicken and saute until it is just golden on all sides.
- Add the mushrooms, celery, and onion and saute until tender.
- Add the 2 cups of the chicken stock
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add the noodles.
- Simmer, stirring often, until the noodles are cooked. Add chicken stock as needed to keep the mixture from getting too dry.
- When noodles are cooked add the milk and cream cheese.
- Stir until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- If it the sauce seems too thin just simmer to let some of the liquid evaporate.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and serve.
If you liked this easy skillet Amish Chicken Casserole you might also like…
Tuscan Tortellini Chew Outloud
Salsa Verde Chicken Skillet Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts