This old fashioned, wholesome loaf is definitely one you’ll want in your favorite’s file.
Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bread
The Restless Chipotle Channel
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- dried fruits and nuts as desired
- Soften the yeast in 1/2 c warm water for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, 1 c of the flour, 1 c of the whole wheat flour and the rest of the water.
- Mix well and allow to stand for fifteen minutes.
- Mix in the salt, the oil, the oats, and the rest of the flour until a soft dough is formed.
- Dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Dough will be sticky.
- Knead in up to a cup of dried fruit and nuts if desired.
- Place in an oiled bowl, turning to oil all sides.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or so, until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down and form into 2 or 3 loaves.
- Place in oiled pans and allow to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Brush with egg yolk wash if desired (1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp. water) and sprinkle oats over the top.
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes