Heirloom Sweet Potato Rum cake has a delicate flavor, beautiful color, and velvety texture. It’s just right for any holiday gathering.
Unlike most of the rum cake recipes I have found this one is from scratch start to finish. Well, you don’t have to grow your own sweet potatoes or make your own rum — unless you want to, of course.
I was lucky enough to pick up some heirloom sweet potatoes, Crimson Red Velvets, at our local Farmer’s Market. You can use regular sweet potatoes from your grocer as well. Yams are a good substitute. Just make sure that you use fresh ones and not canned.
I strongly urge you to try to find heirloom sweet potatoes, though. They make all the difference.
Some people may try to tell you that there is no difference between sweet potatoes and yams but that’s not true. They’re not even related! They are very similar but sweet potatoes almost always have a more delicate flavor. Yams have more starch and tend to be dryer.
Sweet Potato Rum Cake
You may also like my Whiskey Apple Cake. It’s full of warm, holiday flavor – absolutely amazing! If you love this recipe please give it 5 stars.
Heirloom Sweet Potato Rum Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet potato , mashed
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup Captain Morgan Spiced rum
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup light brown cane sugar
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease and flour a 10-cup bundt pan.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, melted butter, vanilla, sugar, and brown sugar together.
- Stir in the rum and sweet potatoes.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Bake about an hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine the water, butter, sugar, and salt in a deep saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Simmer it until it reduces just a little, about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat add the rum carefully.
You may also like:
Included in Meal Plan Monday #79