Classic Lasagna is easy and when you use fresh, whole milk cheese it takes it way over the top. This wholesome recipe is so full of flavor that you won't want to make it any other way - I promise.
My mom would make all kinds of things. Stewed tomatoes, homemade catsup, chili sauce... you name it. And, every time we opened one of those jars in the middle of winter it was summer all over again. That's what these tomatoes do for me -- and that's no bull.
So, when I was making this lasagna I wondered how I could really bump up that flavor. I wanted the lasagna to have all of that taste of summer from the tomatoes but I wanted the other flavors to be fresh, too. I decided to use whole milk cheeses to bring more of that fresh flavor to the dish.
Whole milk ricotta and Mozzarella can be hard to find but if you do it's so worth it. I happened to find a couple of packages on clearance at the store. While my family was eating I asked them if they tasted anything different about this lasagna and my son in law said, "It's the cheese. Is it fresh cheese?"
I am telling ya, it makes that much of a difference.
Look for some whole milk cheese and give this a whirl. You'll be so glad you did.
Classic Lasagna with Fresh CheesesPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- ½ cup water
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 29 ounces Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano, diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pound lean beef, cooked
- Salt, to taste
- 16 ounces lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 pound fresh whole milk mozzarella, sliced
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large mixing bowl combine water, beef, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with 11/2 cups of sauce mixture.
- Arrange ⅓ of noodles on top of sauce.
- Top with ½ of ricotta cheese, ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of sauce. Cover with part of the basil.
- Repeat layers and top with last ⅓ of noodles and the remaining sauce.
- Cover with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour; until noodles are cooked.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.