Some of the ingredients used in this recipe were provided at no cost to me by Red Gold Tomatoes.
Classic Lasagna is easy and when you use fresh, whole milk cheese it takes it way over the top. This wholesome recipe is so full of flavor that you won’t want to make it any other way – I promise.
Y’all know I am a big Red Gold fan. I don’t know what they do with their tomatoes but they absolutely have a just picked flavor straight from the can. They are so sweet — there’s something about them that takes me right back to my Dad’s summer garden and those big, old tomatoes he grew. They’d be there, hanging so heavy that the vines would pull down and so ripe that the slightest touch would make them fall right in your hands. You could hold that thing and take a great big, juicy bite and seeds would run down your chin.
That was summer.
My mom would make all kinds of things. Stewed tomatoes, homemade catsup, chili sauce… you name it. And, every time we opened one of those jars in the middle of winter it was summer all over again. That’s what these tomatoes do for me — and that’s no bull.
So, when I was making this lasagna I wondered how I could really bump up that flavor. I wanted the lasagna to have all of that taste of summer from the tomatoes but I wanted the other flavors to be fresh, too. I decided to use whole milk cheeses to bring more of that fresh flavor to the dish.
Whole milk ricotta and Mozzarella can be hard to find but if you do it’s so worth it. I happened to find a couple of packages on clearance at the store. While my family was eating I asked them if they tasted anything different about this lasagna and my son in law said, “It’s the cheese. Is it fresh cheese?”
I am telling ya, it makes that much of a difference.
Now, Red Gold has offered to give one of my lucky readers a lasagna kit of their own. You’ll get a tote that is perfect to hold wine bottles, by the way. You’ll get an apron, coupons, recipes, tomatoes, and noodles. It’s really awesome. Just leave a comment below to enter. Let’s start the giveaway today, January 13 and let it go through January 20. You must be from the US or over 18 to enter. I’ll choose the winner by a random number generator at the close of the giveaway and I’ll post the winner’s name on the Restless Chipotle Facebook page.
But that’s not all.
Look for some whole milk cheese and give this a whirl. You’ll be so glad you did.
Classic Lasagna with Fresh Cheeses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can Red Gold® Crushed Tomatoes, or 2 (15 ounce) cans Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans Red Gold® Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil , chopped
- 1 pound Laura's lean beef (or other lean ground beef), cooked
- Salt to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) box traditional lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) carton whole milk ricotta cheese, fresh if possible.
- 1 pound fresh , whole milk mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large mixing bowl combine water, beef, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan with 11/2 cups of sauce mixture.
- Arrange 1/3 of noodles on top of sauce.
- Top with 1/2 of ricotta cheese, 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of sauce. Cover with part of the basil.
- Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of noodles and the remaining sauce.
- Cover with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour; until noodles are cooked.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
If you like Classic Lasagna with Fresh Cheeses you may also like…
Lasagna Rolls True Life Kitchen
Lasagna Soup Cooking Classy