Who doesn’t love a sweet bite now and then? I’ve put together the ultimate list of best cupcake recipes – my favorites from all over the Internet. No matter what kind of cake you’re in the mood for, whether it’s fudgy chocolate, a unique flavor, or something with fresh fruit you’ll find it here.
The Best Cupcake Recipes
Cupcakes have come a long way in the past few years. Plain chocolate and vanilla cupcake recipes have evolved into creative, unique bites of cake in a range of flavors. You can get them filled or unfilled, decorated to look like mermaids, or topped with mile high frosting. No matter how many cupcake recipes we have we eagerly hunt for more!
Favorite Chocolate Cupcakes
Is there anyone that doesn’t like a chocolate cupcake? You’ll find that recipes that include cocoa taste more chocolatey than those that use melted chocolate.
Which of these looks the most delicious to you?
- Chocolate Cream Filled Vanilla – Irresistible! Vanilla cupcakes with creamy, chocolate filling is a reverse of the famous favorite.
- Chocolate Whiskey and Beer – Classic cocktail shot! Guinness, Whiskey, and Irish cream cupcakes are SO perfect for St Patrick’s Day!
- Mocha with Espresso Buttercream – She had me at espresso buttercream.
- Chipotle Cinnamon Chocolate – Double chocolate. Cinnamon buttercream. Whiskey caramel sauce. OMG, y’all.
- Devil’s Food – Classic devil’s food cupcakes sound… heavenly.
- Turtle Brownie – Chocolate, pecans, caramel, and more chocolate because there’s never too much chocolate.
- Death by Chocolate – When it’s time to go this is how I want to do it. Chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream, chocolate chips…
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough – Chocolate with cookie dough filling and a cookie dough buttercream!
- Snickers – Inspired by the candy bar…
- S’mores – Remember campfires, cookouts, and starry summer nights? Well these cupcakes take you back with every bite!
- Mexican Hot Chocolate – I love Mexican hot chocolate because it’s full of flavor from cinnamon and spice. I turned that flavor into these cupcakes. YUM!
Comforting Spice Cupcakes
Spice cake remind me of fall! Apples, cinnamon, and pumpkin are warm cozy flavors that make great cupcakes! Cream cheese frosting is great on any of these cupcakes – for an easy garnish dust with some cinnamon after frosting.
- Bourbon and Spice Cupcakes are absolutely a no brainer as far as I’m concerned. What a great combination!
- Carrot If you love carrot cake you’ll love it in the single serving size!
- Orange Clove is one of my favorite flavor combinations.
- Chai Latte I am addicted to chai lattes in the winter … having it in a cake form is beyond everything I could imagine.
- Snickerdoodle mimics one of my favorite cookies… after all – you can never have too much cinnamon.
- Pumpkin is the flavor of fall and these are warm, spicy goodness with cream cheese icing.
Best Cupcake Recipes with Fruit
Fruit gives cakes moisture as well as flavor. Follow the instructions carefully or you could end up with a too-wet dough that won’t bake properly. If you’re using pie filling in the center gently press the bottom down on the inside after hollowing it out but before filling it so that it’s compressed. It helps the bottoms not get soggy.
- Lemon is tart and tangy and mouth-wateringly good. These are lemon with lemon buttercream.
- Apple Pie so easy! Made with cinnamon roll dough and a crumble topping.
- Caramel Apple are melt in your mouth good with a spiced apple cake topped with caramel buttercream.
- Easy Black Forest are like the cake! Chocolate cupcakes with a cherry pie filling and rich whipped cream topping.
- Strawberry have a bright pink strawberry buttercream to top the bright pink strawberry cake. They’d be perfect for a girl’s birthday or baby shower.
- Strawberry Lemonade if you love sipping strawberry lemonade in the summer you’ll want to have these on hand all year!
- Bananas Foster triple banana flavor in this amazing cupcake inspired by the famous New Orleans dessert.
- Browned Butter Banana Rum cupcakes are super sweet but have so much banana flavor!
- Hummingbird is a classic southern cake and these cupcakes are the perfect little bite!
- Lemon Meringue lemon cake filled with lemon curd and topped with a golden meringue.
- Lychee Rose look so beautiful and delicate! Definitely an exotic choice.
- Orange Creamsicle brings back happy summer memories! Orange and vanilla is such a yummy combination.
- Peaches and Cream are one of our favorites. The cake is vanilla with just a touch of peach flavor then peach filling and cream cheese frosting. Definitely a must try!
- White Chocolate Raspberry are two of my favorite flavors in one delicious bite.
There was a time when there were only red velvet cupcakes but these days you can find that velvety texture in almost any color imaginable.
Most of the time the recipe will call for buttermilk. If you use a paste food color instead of a liquid you’ll get a deeper flavor without that weird chemical food color taste.
- Classic Red Velvet are the classic. Soft, moist, and red with a classic frosting.
- Red Velvet and Cheesecake Marbled I love the combination of citrus cheesecake and red velvet in these.
- Black Velvet with Orange Filling Dark black velvet cupcakes with an orange filling is perfect for Halloween.
- Pink Velvet are light and pretty – I made them in a special pan and just glazed them instead of used frosting but you could use any vanilla or cream cheese frosting on them.
- Green Velvet perfect for St Patrick’s Day and super easy because you start with a cake mix.
- Blue Velvet are such a pretty sapphire color! They’d be perfect for a boy baby shower or a beach party.
- White Velvet are vanilla and white chocolate made super moist with Greek yogurt.
Gourmet Cupcake Recipes for Holidays and Celebrations
Cupcakes are perfect for taking to holiday parties or sending to classroom parties at school. Decorating them can be as easy as adding holiday-themed sprinkles.
- EggNog Latte are a mixture of coffee buttercream and an egg nog cupcake… delicious!
- Cranberry Bliss just sounds like the perfect holiday flavor! Yellow cake is filled with cranberry sauce and topped with cream cheese buttercream.
- Vanilla Candy Cane are vanilla cupcakes with peppermint buttercream.
- Santa’s Hat are SO cute. Use any cupcake you like and follow the directions to make them look like Santa hats!
- Christmas Lights Adorable cupcakes decorated with “strings” of m&ms Christmas lights.
- Raspberry Champagne for a sparkly New Year’s Eve drink made in cupcake form.
- Grinch Cupcakes are absolutely irresistibly adorable!
- Chocolate Christmas Trees would be fantastic for a dessert buffet!
- White Cupcakes (Wedding cake) – These are all purpose white cupcakes that are SO good. They work as well for winter holidays as they do for weddings and showers.
Unique Cupcakes Flavors
If you can imagine it someone has probably made it into a cupcake. Use these unique flavors to come up with your own ideas!
- Chubby Hubby have all the flavor of your fav ice cream right in a cupcake.
- Root Beer Float is one of my favorite treats and I love it just as much in cupcake form!
- Malted Milk are for you if you like malt! Chocolate malt cake with a vanilla malt buttercream!
- Bomb Pop copycats! SO cute for 4th of July, these cupcakes have all the bomb pop color and flavor.
- Dulce de Leche frosting and caramel cake – you know you want them1
- Earl Grey with Lemon Buttercream I love the tea and I know I will love these, too!
- Irish Cream with Coffee Frosting taste just like an Irish coffee in cake form!
- Cherry Coke Float is old fashioned flavor served up in a brand new way!!
Tropical Coconut Cupcake Recipes
Coconut gets it’s own section because, well, coconut. Toasting coconut in the oven or microwave is easy and it adds extra flavor and texture. You can also substitute coconut milk (the thick kind in the can) for milk in the recipes to give them even more coconut flavor.
- Coconut Pie Cupcake are for you if you love coconut pie as much as I do! Filled with coconut mousse and topped with cream cheese whipped cream.
- Samoas I love these cookies and looking at the cupcake version I’d say I’ll love it just as much.
- Coconut overload! These are made with coconut milk and coconut and more coconut!
- Pina Colada are my favorite summertime cocktail in a cupcake.
- Blackberry Coconut are SO pretty! The flavor combination is amazing but they are just as beautiful as they are delicious.
Not So Plain Vanilla Cupcake Recipes
Ever heard the term plain vanilla? Well these cupcakes are anything but plain! If you really like vanilla flavor you can substitute and equal amount of vanilla sugar for the sugar called for in any recipe.
To make vanilla sugar just add a couple of vanilla beans to the sugar canister and let sit for a few days. You can actually do that with all kinds of things like orange zest, lemon zest, lavender… all kinds of things.
- Vanilla pretty, moist, and delicious – really that’s all you want in a cupcake, right?
- French Vanilla have lots of vanilla flavor. Add the frosting of your choice.
- Copycat Twinkies (with sponge cake, from scratch) really do taste like Twinkies. The secret is in the sponge cake!
- One Bowl Vanilla means that they’re easy to make, easy to clean up, and super easy to eat!
- Cream Soda makes these easy, from scratch, cupcakes extra vanilla-y.
It’s an amazing list of recipes, isn’t it? Which are you going to try first?
You May Need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? Check out my Restless Chipotle & Co. Store on Amazon where you’ll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Restless Chipotle!
Baking cups are one way to make your cupcakes prettier and more unique. These cute polka dot liners give them a retro look I think.
Wilton 415-2286 300 Count Polka Dots Standard Baking Cups
Remember I said that it’s important to keep the size consistent by making sure each cupcake is made from the exact same amount of batter? Well these scoops from Wilton make it easier than ever.
Wilton 2103-1112 Scoop-It Batter Spoons, Set of 3