Peaches and cream cupcakes are like biting into a summer afternoon. Tender vanilla cupcake with just a hint of peach flavor, filled with sweet peaches and covered with a cloud of cream cheese frosting. Every single bite is just yum.
I don’t think you can get real peaches anymore. There was something about peaches when I was a kid — you’d bite into it and juice would dribble down your chin and on down your arm. I wasn’t allowed to eat peaches in the house, they were a purely outside treat, leaving sticky trails down the front walk if I happened to be walking and eating at the same time.
I made vanilla cupcakes and added some peach schnapps for a bit of extra peachy flavor. The peach compote has brown sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, and bourbon – of course bourbon. Peaches and bourbon are classic. After the cupcakes were assembled I topped them with a cloud of cream cheese frosting.
Then we ate them.
All of them.
You gotta love cupcakes because they are so quick and easy, cute and transportable. It just isn’t as labor intensive as making a big cake. I wish I could have used really ripe peaches for these but I used frozen because I couldn’t find any fresh ones that passed my quality control check. I haven’t had time to go to East Texas or farmer’s market lately. Use good, juicy ripe peaches if you have them available but if not, don’t feel bad about using frozen ones.
Peaches and Cream Cupcakes
- 1 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- 2 egg yolks , room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of buttermilk , room temp
- 2 tablespoons peach schnapps
- 1 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 pound peaches , fresh, pitted, and skinned or unsweetened frozen
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 16 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of powdered sugar
- A little buttermilk to thin if needed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and egg yolks one at a time, beat thoroughly after each addition.
- Blend flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda, in a bowl.
- Add vanilla and schnapps to the buttermilk.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low until mixed.
- Add ½ the buttermilk.
- Continue to alternate the flour and buttermilk, ending with the flour.
- Scoop into cupcake papers about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Combine peaches, brown sugar, cinnamon, and bourbon in a saucepan.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the liquid is reduced and the syrup is thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Taste and adjust sweetness and seasoning.
Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Beat the cream cheese and the butter.
- Add the vanilla.
- Add the powdered sugar until you have a creamy consistency.
- Add a tablespoon of buttermilk if necessary to thin it down.